TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 24, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through April 24, 2013 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Interesting story about how Linda Cardellini had to keep everything top secret in the days leading up to last night's premiere:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/blog--linda-cardellini-dishes-on-her-covert-mad-men-debut

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
AMC's Mad Men returned with a special 2-hour Season 6 premiere episode last night. Whether you missed it or want to re-watch it, amc.com is now streaming the full episode in its entirety for free. Take note: The premiere will only be available online for a limited time.

http://www.amctv.com/mad-men/videos/season-6-premiere-mad-men

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Well, well, well, aren't we in a dark, dark, place with this season opener! And it's only the beginning of '68 - wait till they see what's in store for them very soon. They feel like old, dying guys now, wait til the 'generation gap' hits 'em!

Did anyone else find the editing of the show to be jarring? I'm thinking of the scene with the doorman: Don and Meg come home from Hawaii, she asks doorman if he's ok, and he drops to the floor with a heart attack! I had to rewind to realize that they 'cut in' a flashback right into the scene! Then, they kept cutting back and forth between Don's home life, and Betty's home life in almost the same way.

I didn't like it, and I hope the directors/editors are not going to continue to do this - are they trying to be 'edgy'? All they're doing is confusing me!!

Overall, great season opener, I'm very intrigued, seeing how long it will take for Don to get caught - what nerve - in his own building with the wife of his 'friend'. Is he trying to get caught? Looks that way to me!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Seeing Don with the Dr's wife was a shocker. What a cad!! The Dr. goes to save lives and Don swoops in. Of course the wife is no bargain either.

Why do you think Betty left the violin?

Rslover

11-19-2002

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Beth,
"In life we often have to do things that are just not our bag” was on the lighter.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 12:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Rslover re lighter: I thought that was on the private's lighter...was it on Don/Dick's instead?

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I wondered about the violin too. She hung on to it so fiercely against those kids, but left it behind! Maybe she realized she wasnt going to find Sandy. Its funny how Betty was so sympathetic to Sandy, and Glenn when he was younger, but not her own kids.
Why did Don keep seeing his dead brother everywhere? Did Lane's death re-open the guilt Don had probably stuffed down from his brother's death?
I found this link to things unknown about Madmen and they were a surprise to me!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/25-things-you-didnt-know-about-mad-men-that-wil

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Beth, the lighter with that inscription was the private's lighter. It wasn't shown, but I assume there was a mix-up since Don has a very similar lighter.

Funny, lots of those 25 things on Buzzfeed, I actually DID know!

Why did Betty leave the violin? IDK, but I'd be more interested in finding out who the hell is 'Sandy'??? And why was she at Betty's, and why were they joking about Sandy's mother dying?

This first ep left me with too many questions!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
And did anyone notice that the actress who played "Sally" is the same actress who played "Paige," the young daughter of the "Sarah" character played by Rachel Griffiths on "Brothers and Sisters"?

Rslover

11-19-2002

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Yes, it appeared the lighters were mixed up.

Uncler, You mean Sandy.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I think I'm going to watch this again tonight. I was pretty lost the first time through.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oops -- that's right! I meant "Sandy" (instead of "Sally") -- sorry about that.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, April 15, 2013 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Last night's show was busy busy with men on the prowl for women--even that odious Herb showed up looking for Joan! Why Pete and Don thought they can carry on with neighbours their wives know, is beyond me! And what was that flashback Don kept gonig to? Was his stepmother forced to live in a brothel while she was pregnant with Adam? And does Sylvia remind Don of someone from that time?

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, April 15, 2013 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Cable, I'm wondering the same thing about Don and Pete. Do they WANT to get caught? Does the risk add to the excitement?

I loved how Pete played it when that gal showed up at his doorstep all beaten up. You could just 'feel' how scared he was, like a little boy afraid of 'mommy' finding out what he's been up to.

Trudy knew exactly what was happening, and I must say I felt pretty bad for her, since she allowed him to get an apartment in the city so she doesn't have to 'know' - yet Pete brings it right into his own neighborhood. What a moron!!

I'm looking forward to Don getting caught next. That's gonna be SOME episode!

I do believe Don was raised in a bordello and that's what the flashbacks are about. Are TPTB trying to blame Don's womanizing on that, I wonder? Pretty lame if that's the case.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Even if growing up around prostitution affected Don's sexual bend, he does have a conscience and knows wrong when he sees it--he tried to talk Joan out of selling herself to Herb and treated Herb like the shite he is when he came into their offices.
I can't see a happy ending for anybody on this show. They are all running around trying to do what was expected of them in the workplace and sometimes in personal relationships, and its not very satisfying.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Madonna/wh*re themes very much in evidence tonight.

Does anyone know if either of those Heinz campaigns was a campaign in reality? I actually liked both, although Don's was really subtle.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I have to have Alan Sepinwall explain Mad Men episodes for me. He claims -

Heinz ultimately doesn't choose either pitch.

(*) This information isn't very well-conveyed at first — if you don't know that J. Walter Thompson was another (real-life) ad agency, it's easy to assume it's the name of Timmy's colleague, and that Cutler, Gleason and Chaough won the account — but Ted and Peggy's glum demeanor makes their loss clear by scene's end.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-mad-men-to-have-and-to-hold-leave-a-penny-take-a-penny

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
'To have and to hold double standards' would have been a much better episode title.

So, Megan is a loose woman for her acting job, and Don somehow has the higher moral ground while sleeping with his neighbor's wife? And the adulterous wife is going to 'pray for Don'? Where does she get off?? Who's gonna pray for HER? LOL!

Joan used her body to get her partnership, and all the higher-up men at SCDP know this and they're all fine with it, because, you know, it's just business. Except Harry -he just doesn't seem to have the body to get a partnership, just the work.

Poor Joan, though, she might have secured her financial future for herself and her son, but at what cost?

I didn't notice this at the time - read about it this morning: That was Ted McGinley who was trying to get Don and Megan to swing with them! I totally didn't recognize him! Hope this doesn't endanger the show, though since McGinley is known for his shows jumping the shark!

Loved that Peggy used Don's line about changing the conversation, sad that it appears Peggy and Stan's friendship is dead. And all for nothing since neither company got the account.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
LOL - I had to say 'loose woman' in my post because the other words I used were red-dotted.

Ahhh, TVCH, making me come up with clever euphemisms since 2000.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I missed a season. Do we know who the father of Joan's baby is? Was it her ex-husband or Roger?

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I don't remember clearly but I think Roger is (and knows he is) the father though Joan at first let Greg believe he is. Can't recall if she told him the truth when she left him.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
LOL! I totally recongized Ted McGinley and immediately screamed "Why would they do that?!" Why chance having him on such a great show? Mostly said tongue-in-cheek, but he really doesn't have the best track record. Yikes.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
And yes Roger is assumed to be the father but Joan refuses to recognize him as such. But, I'm willing to bet he will take care of him as he grows.

Now that I've finished watching (had only watched up until Ted McGinley's scene was done) I have to say that Don is just as much a pig as he ever was. That man is horrid. I don't see him as attractive, kind, or caring. His piggishness gets in the way.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Gurlie, I know what you mean. Don is such a beautiful package on the outside, too bad it's empty inside.

He's gonna get caught, right? I mean, eventually, right? He can't continue to sleep with his friend and neighbor's wife IN THE SAME BUILDING forever, right?

LOL! I can't wait.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
We can assume Mr. Hamm will strip himself of all traces of DD when he takes on this assignment, a treat for MM and sports fans!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/jon-hamm-to-host-espy-awards-2013/