TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 07, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Sci-Fi Show Discussion: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 07, 2013 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Defiance is actually a Canadian show filmed not to far from where I live. The teasers look really good. It will be airing here at the same time. It will be nice to be able to join the discussions! I hate having to avoid threads when a series doesn't begin here at the same time.

I really couldn't get in to Continuum when it aired here. I tried again when they re-aired the entire season one weekend. Still I found my mind wandered as well. I didn't really like any of the main characters enough to care if they made it to the next episode.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
My interest in Continuum has waned a little too, although hubby is still into it. I think it might devolve into a basic detective show with the odd tech twist here and there... hope it stays more though.

I meant the Defiance trailer I linked to might not play, because if was a Syfy channel one and they have blocked other stuff. They seem to be a lot better at showing programmes in more than one country at the same time these days, but those little online vids still seem to be region encoded!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome is on Syfy tomorrow at 8pm. It's the BSG prequel that was shown in pieces online, but apparently there are extra scenes in this (it's two hours long).

(from Syfy's press release, February 2013) As the battle between humans and their creation, the sentient robotic Cylons, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, gifted fighter pilot, William Adama (Luke Pasqualino, The Borgias), finds himself assigned to one of the most powerful battlestars in the Colonial fleet: the Galactica. Full of ambition and hungry for action, Adama quickly finds himself at odds with his co-pilot, the battle-weary officer Coker (Ben Cotton, Alcatraz). With only 47 days left in his tour of duty, Coker desires an end to battle as much as Adama craves its onset.

Pam2uall

10-25-2006

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pam2uall a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the alert, Kitt! I was crazy about the series, and am looking forward to this. Unfortunately, it conflicts with other things I have scheduled to record tonight. Fortunately, it is repeating tomorrow, Monday, at 5 P.M. EST. I don't know what is happening with the show on Monday because it is scheduled to record for 3 hours: 5 to 8. I bet it either really starts an hour later, or it stops an hour early. Either way, my DVR is set for the full 3 hours.

Also, the information supplied on the menu indicates that this episode is the Pilot. So, does that mean a new series is beginning?

And again, thank you, Kitt.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
It was very good, I certainly hope B&C does extend into a series.They always so mysterious about the BSG series--they come, they go, etc. I loved Caprica and was very sorry it didn't last longer than a season.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
ETA From what I've read it was a one-off complied from the web series. Why SyFy has never done right by the Battlestar Universe, I'll never understand. Awesome concept, not fully developed since the first BSG series five years ago.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Pam.

I enjoyed it, and the whole BSgey style (although didn't like the washed out lights thing). It could have moved along a bit faster in places and it didn't tell much of the story, but for what it was I liked it. I can't see them making it into a series, mostly because they hardly promoted it so I don't even know if all those who would have wanted to watch it would have seen it, let alone newbies.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I'm still loving Continuum. I'm a time-travel show fanatic, I've always liked Rachel Nichols(even when others have not), I liked Victor Webster in Mutant-X, I really dig Lexa Doig from Stargate and Andromeda, Tony Amendola from Stargate, and Roger Cross from First Wave. So I'm inclined to like the players very much as well as the concept. I hope they fix her suit, soon, because that's a cool thing to have.

I liked Blood & Chrome a lot. I thought it would be a pilot for a series, too, something much more compelling than Caprica, but I understand that is probably not the case.

Really can't wait for Defiance, and the returns of Grimm and Revolution.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I seem to be stuck watching Continuum a LOT, lol, sort of like I was stuck watching Lost Girl last year. Can't say I'm really a fan, but it's grown on me a little. I like Warehouse 13, liked Eureka,and Being Human, but always seem to tune in when the less appealing shows are on. (Can't be bothered to change the channel, I guess, lol)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
There is a new show starting on Space March 30 called Orphan Black. I think it will be on right after Dr Who so I'll give it a whirl.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wasn't expecting the latest Continuum to be the season finale! Lots of curious things set up for the future, and it looks like in the present she's more or less given up, at least temporarily.

Season 2 starts in Canada on April 21st, but I don't know if Syfy will show it then or not. It would be nice to be able to discuss it together.

Orphan Black might be interesting, I'm definitely going to give that a try.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
Orphan Black looks interesting to me as well. It's starting in a week. :-)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Orphan Black looks very interesting....I wonder if it will air in CAnada?

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It'll be on a channel called Space, at the same time as it's on BBCA. It's one of their same time everywhere offerings.

If you haven't seen a trailer yet it looks like this will play in Canada:
http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/tv-guide/article/-/a/1444813/-Orphan-Black-gets-Canadian-debut-date-new-promo

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitt...ya I checked out the clip from Nyheat's link, looks very interesting. I do have 'Space' channel so I will definitely mark it in my PVR to record.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Syfy have announced their season two date for Continuum: June 7th (a move to Fridays at 10pm). So a few months after the Canadian start...

Merlin fans, the last five episodes start May 3rd in the same time spot as above.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wasn't sure about Orphan Black but I think it has enough potential to try a couple more weeks.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
It was pretty good, but not great. A slow starter. I will try it for a few more weeks.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I liked Orphan Black. It's an interesting premise. I'm in for a few more weeks to see where it goes.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Continuum is coming back soon!!! It was a good show thanks to the Canadian channel for airing it. Another show a Canadian channel (the same one actually) is airing is Beauty and the Beast, wow, what a good show (it's more sci-fi this one).
So hats off to Canadian tv for airing these two shows the Americans are missing out.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Um, Continuum is on in the US and the next season starts in June. :-)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Is Beauty and the Beast the one with Kristen Kreuk and the hot Aussie? That's a CW show, we get it too.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I'm giving up on Orphan Black--not holding my interest. Shame, it looked like a good one.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Karuuna I was at the movies and there was a clip advertising Continuums return in Canada on April 21M

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
They advertised Granite Flats as being a period show with a sci-fi bent. I wasn't wowed by the premiere but to be fair I wasn't able to pay too much attention to the second part/epi. The acting was, um, iffy - the mom nurse (who looked like a grown up version of the lead girl from American Dreams, another retro show) was probably the best (that I noticed), some of the other performances were, well, oh boy. Writing was a bit didactic & derivative too.

I realize since this is from BYUTV it's going to be pretty squeaky clean but did they have to have the tough guy say "keister"?

This show just started but based on initial impressions, I think The Iron Giant & Matinee covered similar territory in much more interesting & accomplished ways. But I'll give this show another chance. There have been a number of these mid-century North America-set shows (another example is Bomb Girls, which I've seen a few times) but Mad Men remains the best, imo.