TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Game of Thrones: Archive through June 16, 2012 users admin

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Can't wait to see that!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Only two episodes left?! Yikes! These HBO and Showtime series go by so fast!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Season finale on Sunday. Boooo!!! HBO has such short seasons! I was thinking when watching last week's episode, this must be a very expensive show to produce. That battle scene alone must have been super expensive! All those extras and the explosions. Yowza!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Yes, they upped the budget for season 2; more locations and they really wanted to show this key battle. I've caught up to this point in the book so I'm waiting until after Sun night to finish. I like not being spoilered (although I am slightly since some characters in book 2 haven't been in season 2 but I read they will be introduced in season 3).
HBO is splitting the 3rd book into season 3 and season 4 (yay!).

Nala63

09-20-2005

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 12:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nala63 a private message Print Post    
they have to divide the next three books otherwise it will be a short series. grrm doesnt seem in any hurry to finish the last 2 books.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Kona, I have noticed some slight changes from the books, but otherwise they do follow pretty closely. Don't remember if we lost any of the major characters in book 2, but I'm hoping the last episode will have some big moments.

Here's a good article about "Five things to watch for in the 'Game of Thrones' season finale." Don't worry, doesn't contain spoilers. Just written from a fan's perspective, what they are hoping to see in the finale. I enjoyed it:

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/
2012/06/01/12010393-five-things-to-watch-for-in-the-game-of-thrones-season-finale?lite

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
From the perspective of someone who is just finishing Book 2 so some stuff is fresh in my mind. And now my thoughts on Season 2 finale:

Zombies? Really?
The Tyrell sister who would be Queen will be one hell of a match for Cersei, but Joffery will not be a good man in bed (will he need his mother?).
Will Littlefinger take Sansa to wife? Anything to get close to Catelyn is my thought.
Yes, Tyrion is getting frakked over - he saved the city long enough for his daddy to arrive. I hope he continues to work his magic and gets his due.
Where is Robb's wife in the book? I never read anything about this girl in book 2. Confusing rewrite.
Fie on the book version of the Warlocks tower with all the history, give the fans Jason Mamoa's brooding forehead and a baby with big eyes. Nice surprise. Definite rewrite.
Prediction - the only hope Westeros has to defeat the the zombies will be the dragons. And the people will rejoice and follow Daenerys as the true Queen.

And now I can finish reading book 2. But can I wait, avoid starting book 3 this summer? konashark is already on book 4 (that cad!!)

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Kona, if my memory serves me correctly, Robb doesn't get married till book 3 or maybe end of book 2. In the books, his mom doesn't know until after he married her.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Kona, those aren't zombies. Those are the dreaded White Walkers (we've seen them before in the first season). That's why they have to burn all the dead people north of the wall. Don't want them coming back. Ick!!!

Don't remember which book Robb got married in, but he married the daughter of whatever castle they were sheltering in at the time. He felt he had to marry her after she spent the night "comforting" him (yes, like that) after he heard about his younger brothers being killed at Winterfell. They didn't write that into the TV show. In the books, it seemed like Bran and Tommen were really dead for a bit, and it was heartbreaking till you found out they'd been hiding in the crypt below the castle and it was really the farmer's boys who'd been killed.

I don't mind so much that they change things here and there. They have to condense and skip minor things that might not be crucial to the story. Can't believe the season is over already and can't wait till next season!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
I *know* they aren't zombies, I recognized the White Walkers, just that Zombies are sooo topical these days.
The "death" of Bran & Rikkon was in book two and the reader wasn't sad for very long (cause Theon mentions paying off the farmer for his children).
As for Robb, in the tv show he did sleep with her before he married her. And his mom doesn't know he married her yet (just that he wanted to). So just another case of moving things around. Otherwise I think Robb's story in season 2 would be much more boring. Hubby thinks Robb gets hurt and his book wife was carrying for his injuries. I keep shusshing him (NOS POILERS).

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on the tv series. I haven't watched the shows but After reading all the books I have to tell you that all of you are in for a treat. What would seem to be the logical path the characters should take isn't necessarily the paths they take. The twists and turns of these books defies explanation lol. I have never enjoyed reading a series of books as much as these. Maybe for those here that watch BBrother the phrase expect the unexpected rings true here.
The one thing that surprised me about this story is a character that I absolutely hated in one book would suddenly transform into someone I liked in another book, and vice versa. Martin's characters are rich deep and ever changing.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Olivia, we've talked about that here already. I've said that when I was reading the books, I would sometimes gasp out loud at something really shocking and hubby would say, "What? What's wrong?" Martin is also not afraid to kill off the characters we're attached to (not just Ned Stark), and it's always shocking and sad. I would wake up the next morning and still be sad that one (or two!) of my favorites had been killed. You really get attached to these characters. Very three dimensional.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
Baby I know! Me too. I am still sad about Ned Stark and the others lol
I will rent this hbo series at some point and watch them. Hoping to get my husband hooked too. :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This story surprised me at first but then it made me laugh:

HBO apologizes for depiction of severed Bush head

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press

HBO and producers of "Game of Thrones" apologized Thursday for a scene that depicted former President George W. Bush's severed head on a spike.

The scene first aired last year and was repeated on a DVD release in March. But in a particularly bad piece of timing for HBO, stories about it spread online this week, when the network premiered a documentary on Bush's father, former President George H.W. Bush.

<snip>

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2012-06-14/hbo-apologizes-depiction-severed-bush-head

-------

That shot appeared at around 11 or 12 minutes into the last episode (episode 10) of season one.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It doesn't even look like President Bush?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think it does....his profile is very distinctive:

george_w_bush_GameOfThromes.jpg

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I see the resemblance now that you posted that great comparison but I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
What a disgusting thing to do. Who is responsible for this outrageous breach of decency? I find it difficult to believe that this was an accident. At least they have the sense to edit it out of future showings.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
So much for freedom of expression.....a work of art has to be censored because a political party was offended?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
From the article SFJF posted above:

The producers said they often order prosthetic body parts in bulk for "Game of Thrones" because it can be too expensive to make new ones. It wasn't until the scene was shot that someone pointed out the resemblance to Bush, they said.

It wasn't done intentionally and it wasn't making any sort of political statement. I saw that episode, and I didn't notice that it was Bush.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I would be equally offended if Barack Obama's head was depicted severed and skewered on a stick. Ha! Can you just imagine the outrage at that (and rightfully so). Who would dare call that a work of art? I'm not buying that story that it wasn't intentional. Someone working on the special effects didn't recognize the former president? Some moron or group of morons in the entertainment industry thought they would get away with a private joke. This is disrespectful to the USA and to the office of the president.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't believe it was intentional. Maybe it was an onset joke, but who even noticed it in the show? Just a bunch of nonsense.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
My 2 cents here. Regardless of party, dem or republican, there should be some respect shown to the President of the United States. I think it is offensive and like Hummingbird said, I would find it equally offensive if it were Obama. Now had it been Casey Anthony or Sandusky I would have applauded it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It was in very poor taste if done intentionally. That said, it's not particularly blatant, given it aired at the end of Season 1 and we're only now talking about it when Season 2 is completed.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Who would dare call that a work of art?"

If you are referring to my post, I referred to "Game of Thrones" as a work of art. If they cut out that 2 second scene based on politics, it is the very definition of "censoring a work of art".