TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 04, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through June 04, 2012 users admin

Rslover

11-19-2002

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
http://www.watchseries-online.eu/category/mad-men

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 5:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
On the new episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" tonight, James Lipton is interviewing the cast of Mad Men. It's on Bravo channel.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 12:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much for the heads up re "Actors Studio". Interesting to hear some of the actors' backgrounds, and rehearsal process (response to question asked by student at the very end).

Most surprising fact learned: Jared Harris is Richard Harris' son and Rex Harrison's stepson! He says some of his Lane character on Mad Men is based on Rex Harrison! Jared escaped England to go to college here in the USA.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Wow, Sally is growing up to be a right, proper, b-word, isn't she?

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I'm so far behind on this season and can't wait to catch up eventually. Only saw the premiere episode so far.
I just discovered Mad Men during the last 3 or 4 episodes of Season 4. Decided after the season 5 premiere that I want to watch chronologically, so have been dvr'ing Season 5 episodes and saving them. I've made it through Season 3 so far.
This is the first show to capture my attention and excite me since LOST went off the air.

Roblover

05-17-2011

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roblover a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Rslover! Now I can get caught up.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Gurliegurl, Sally sure is. Sometimes she seems so sweet and then BAM!

I do feel sorry for her though, because her Mother has never really shown her love. I thought she had a great relationship with her new Stepmom, but then sometimes it appears she doesn't. Shame on her Mother for bringing up Don's other wife.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Loved the Don and Joan scenes tonight!

Wish they would get rid of the Megan character;
at least she had minimal scenes tonight.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Sally learns manipulation from her own mother.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I see trouble in the Meagan/Don marriage. This woman is not a doormat like Betty was for years before she got a wake-up call. (Meagan looked ridiculous singing Zou bizou, bizou, by the way. I was embarrassed for her.)

I don't know why the writers had to make January Jones fat this season. They must be women-haters to do that to her. It isn't believable. The woman has a perfect figure and over a season, she becomes obese? Why? Might as well have Don show up bald.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Because she was pregnant and is still taking off the baby weight.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It isn't believable. The woman has a perfect figure and over a season, she becomes obese? Why?"

I don't think the producers/writers are "women-haters".

The character (Betty) had a tumor on her thyroid and that's why she gained weight so quickly. It was a glandular condition that she had no control over.

I think it was just a way to give Betty a new obstacle to deal with that could have given her a chance to gain a little humility and/or become more empathetic to others. Unfortunately, it seems that Betty never learns anything but bitterness from her trials and tribulations.

She has always been such a beautiful woman. I think it was a great way to take her down a peg and let her experience what it's like to be a regular person rather than the cold, snobbish beauty that she has been for her whole life.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
She lost weight right after the baby was born. They had her in a fat suit. I had the same thyroid condition and didn't blow up like that. What woman wouldn't have issues married to the "old" Don Draper? He was an insensitve serial cheater. I agree that she lacks sensativity as a mother and I feel sorry for the kids. (Speaking here as if they are all real people :-))I see no reason to have made her fat.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Wow, best episode of the season tonight!! Featured were both Joan and Paggy in strong storylines.
Hurray for Peggy!!!

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
I was waiting for Don or John Satterly's character to just go after the wimp who even considered pimping Joan out to get an account.

Yes, she made a good deal financially; however you know it's going to get around the office with the weasel knowing everything and he's already twisted it around to being 'her idea.'

He is such a snakey worm that guy. In the 60's this would completely ruin her reputation.

Yes, hooray for Peggy. I hope she's still on the show, however.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
I thought Joan might bolt or at least get some assurance first from the sleazeball.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
No more Peggy, and Don only thought she was after a raise! Maybe the show is gearing up to make Peggy the best ad-woman of all...

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Riviere - I think Peggy is going to give them all a run for their money (and their lack of respect for women)....

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I actually paused the episode, sent an email to the friend that got me hooked to tell him I was disgusted with it, then went back to finish watching. It really was a great episode, but so frustrating to see how women were treated in the 50's & 60's.

Don; however, is turning into a pretty good guy. For someone who had stream of mistresses while married to his first wife, he's really settled down with Megan. (Although, I think she'll eventually leave him.) As Joan said, he is one of the good ones. And, his emotion when it sank in that Peggy was really leaving him and the agency was very touching.

I was so proud of Peggy and how strong she was. Too bad Joan didn't stand up for herself instead of the agency. I did feel awful for her though. She thought her job depended on it and in reality, it didn't.

Pete Campbell needs a reality check and he needs it soon. That boy makes my skin crawl.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
She thought her job depended on it and in reality, it didn't.

Gurliegirl, LOL @ your first paragrah! I don't think Joan thought her job depended on it. I think she did it to get security for herself and her son. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with her ex, including child support. There is no way the majority of the men in the boardroom would have let Pete fire her. It sickened me that they even let Pete consider it.

I'm so with you re how women were treated in the 60's and also Pete. I can't wait until his wife (and/or her father) finds out he's been cheating on her.

Ann

09-27-2005

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ann a private message Print Post    

"Gurliegirl, LOL @ your first paragrah! I don't think Joan thought her job depended on it. I think she did it to get security for herself and her son. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with her ex, including child support. There is no way the majority of the men in the boardroom would have let Pete fire her. It sickened me that they even let Pete consider it."

Cricket, I totally agree that Joan's decision only had to do with her and her son's future security, and nothing else. Joan knew that her job was not at risk, and Don told her as much. She wasn't going to do it at first, not even for the $50,000., but once Lane put the idea in her head to ask for a 5% silent partnership with the firm....well, that was a whole other ballgame, and an offer that was just too good to pass up.

I was happy that Don wanted nothing to do with it,and was quite disappointed that Roger didn't take the same stance. And to think he's the father of her child.

I hate that she slept with that creep...maybe if he was better looking...just kidding. LOL I guess back in that era it wasn't uncommon for some women to compromise their morals to hold onto their jobs, or to get ahead in life. While it was demoralizing, at least Joan got more than just a dinner or a pay hike out of it. The way I see it, the partners have no right to look down their noses at Joan because each and every one of them have pimped themselves out for the good of the company at one time or another.

Pete, and maybe even Roger, better watch out because before long I have a feeling Joan will own more than the 5% she now does, and I can't see her being silent for too long. HAHA

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
If I remember correctly, Joan said she wanted to be a partner and NOT a silent one. That's why she was in the boardroom for that next meeting.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Wow! what an episode (again). I knew there would be reprecussions for Lane's self loan, but didn't think it would end the way it did.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Best show on TV, hands down! I'll be so sad when this season ends. I just knew that Lane would commit suicide as soon as Don wouldn't relent. I really felt so sorry for Lane, and was hoping that Don would change his mind.

When Sally 'became a woman' (LOL, that's what they called it in my day!) I thought that no one had had 'the talk' with her yet, and was convinced that she would think she was being punished for secretly meeting with Glen. I was relieved that that was not the case. I'm not a fan of Betty, but did enjoy the bonding that happened with her daughter, for a change. Don letting Glen drive was great, but Betty will be furious when she finds out!

I can't believe that there's only one more episode left. I saved the whole season on my DVR to re-watch it.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Well, Jaguar didn't look so good in that episode. I have heard for years that it is an unreliable car. The joke is that if you buy a Jaguar, you had better buy two because you will need one of them to drive while the other one is in the shop. But Mad Men really brought it home. You can't even commit suicide in one because it won't start! Wonder what the Jaguar people thought of that?