TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 01, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Once Upon a Time: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 01, 2012 users admin

Smokey

07-08-2003

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I remember when my kids were really young, we used to read to them every night. Someone had given me a fairy tales book. As I was reading Red Riding Hood, I really realized just how scary and violent those stories actually were, for kids. It's like my perception was so different when I was little and then thinking I would tell my kids these stories made me realize. I quit reading fairy tales to them at that point. Later, when older, they could read them.

I am also surprised anyone would ever think this would be a happy children's show. It's by the people who did Lost. I knew it would have all sorts of twists, turns, and most likely, violence. I agree there doesn't seem to be family hour anymore, so it's up to the parents to scrutinize the shows to make sure it's something they would want their kids to see. I don't think this is one of them.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
ITA about fairy tales being frightening. Even though Disney did clean them up a little, every movie he made had a really frightening scene. He believed that kids loved being scared. Originally fairy tales were supposed to teach kids lessons. If you don't obey your mother, the big bad wolf will get you. If you don't listen to adults and stay away when they tell you to, the evil witch will shove you in her oven.... and on and on.

The only way to keep kids from seeing violence, sex or hearing bad language is to only let them watch DVDs that you have preapproved. Even cartoons are violent... especially cartoons are violent.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The Grimm Brothers are noted for the violence in their fairytales. From Wiki:

Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim (1988), in which Cinderella is one of many fairy tale characters who take part in the plot. This is partly based on the Grimm Brothers version of "Cinderella," including the enchanted birds, mother's grave, three balls, and mutilation and blinding of the stepsisters.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Here's the link to that quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
but they usually have happy endings

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It's up to the parents what they let their children watch. My son has never shown much interest in TV, other than Spongebob and the kids shows when he was really little. We watch practically nothing live and record everything we watch (hate commercials!).

I agree with Smokey. It's from the producers of Lost. We should all expect some twists and turns, some darkness and violence. Good programs are not all happiness and light. Even the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie had sadness.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
True about the happy endings Pamydoll. And about the fact this show is from the folks behind LOST.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
This type of show can't have happy endings weekly or even monthly. They are building for a big payoff sometime in the future. Each episode in one way or another builds on the story lines. I'm really enjoying it. Seems like what they show is no worse than sex comedies and police procedurals which are shown at 8 every night. Isn't Ashley Judd's show on at 8, even?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Tonight's show was stellar. And LOL with Roger Daltry's WHOOOOOOO are youuuuuuu?!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 5:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it too! It seems Emma is becoming a believer in Henry's book!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yup, Miz, it seems that way... but they are taking their sweet time getting her to that point. It will be interesting to see the direction the story veers once she's completely onside with the that.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
So, who is the Red Queen????

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
ahhhh I never thought of that, but whoever she is I hopes puts the black queen out of her misery....or ours, she is one nasty ...

Pamy

01-02-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I wondered if it is Snow...or Emma????????

I wished this ep had a crzier hatter. I thougth it was a little bland

who was Roger Daltry. missed him

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Pamydoll, he was the voice of the caterpiller.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! that was a cool scene!!!!

Kona, at twop they think Queen might be Cora (now who the heck is she?)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I loved when they walked past the catapillar and the hatter guy said, "I hate Wonderland!" Cute!

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
The beauty of this episode is that now they have a way to introduce much more than the old fairy tales. We can now enter the world of more recent stories such as Dr. Seuss. This is with the assumption that Regina now has the magic hat and can do her dirty deeds wherever she wants.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pamydoll & BJM: http://onceuponatime.wikia.com/wiki/Cora

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the linke Mameblanche, I too was wondering who Cora was.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oooooh! Thanks, Mameblanche. I saw her in the credits, but then forgot about her. I think the Red Queen is Cora, too. Wow. No wonder Regina is so evil. Off with her head!

This show is so much like Lost, I need all of you to point things out for me cause I miss them. Where is SFJoshfan? Is he in here? He has the eagle eye for spotting tiny details!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to post a clickable link to the Preview and not having any luck.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/once-upon-a-time

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Here ya go:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/once-upon-a-time

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks SFJF - not sure what I did wrong, but sure appreciate you getting it right. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Excellent ep tonight!
And for those of us who thought that the Queen of Hearts might be Regina's Mother... apparently we're wrong.

IMDB for Queen of Hearts, http://www.imdb.com/media/rm243644160/nm3230725