TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 26, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through March 26, 2012 users admin

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Netflix just recently posted for streaming the first four seasons of Mad Men, a series that normally airs on AMC. Given that I've been cable-free for three years, I hadn't paid much attention to the buzz about the show. I really didn't know much about it other than it was set in the late 50s / early 60s and it was about advertising in NYC. I was of the misconception that it was a comedy. I started watching the Netflix episodes last week and am in the middle of season 2 now and am just blown away by how great this series is. And it's not a comedy; it's a drama with a lot of grit. The details of the period are amazing and the characters and story lines compelling. It really draws you in and leaves you wondering what's to come. Top notch entertainment from my point of view. If you haven't seen this series and have access to Netflix streaming, I highly recommend you to check it out. There's about 35 hours worth of episodes online now.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Oh definitely not a comedy, lol, but definitely a good show!

I stopped watching the show because I wasn't really watching entire episodes. Then this past spring, I started watching the dvds starting back with the first season again and I loved it. I'm now in withdrawals waiting for them to shoot the next season.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Omg I love this show don't know how I missed it this long!I watched all 4 seasons on Netflix this past week!!

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
great show, I own seasons 1,2 and three on DVD and can watch the seasons over and over. There are only two other shows I have all the seasons of, West Wing and The Wire. I take it Season 4 is out on DVD?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes, Maris - Season 4 is out now.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Wow Mictay, four seasons in one week -- that's impressive!! I just finished season 2 -- so good! I love how they give you a little hint to something and then down the road come back and flesh it out. It's not a program that can be taken out of context as you won't have any idea what's going on with so many recurring characters popping up episodes after they are first mentioned.

I love Peggy's development over the two seasons. Can't wait to see what the future has in store for her.

Don continues to be a study in contradictions. Sometimes his moral compass is pointing exactly where it should be, and other times he couldn't be further off track. Fascinating to watch and wonder what he'll do next.

Love the way they occasionally sprinkle real world historical events into the storyline, but without having those events overpower the character development.

Such a great show. I'm hooked!!!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I miss Mad Men this summer too. I read a review for the show about a minute before the pilot episode aired and since I've long had an interest in the era plus an actor from Angel was in it, I tuned in. Have been watching ever since. Can't wait for season five next year. I don't have many tv shows on dvd but was hoping for a MM complete series set once it ended its run. Then this summer I happened to spot the first two seasons on sale for only $12 each and couldn't resist. First thing I did was watch Don's pitch for the Kodak carousel and Rachel explaining to Don the meaning of utopia all over again! I still have to rewatch the shows though.

Jezzedout: So you're up to season three now? I love on MM how each season builds and the last two episodes of season three will really knock your socks off.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
So I got completely drawn in and just finished watching the last episode of season 4. Wow! I'm just blown away by how great this series is. So many changes in seasons 3 and 4, and yet, still so compelling I can't want to see what season 5 brings. Good thing I ran out of episodes because I couldn't stop watching. I want to go back now and re-watch season 1 episode 1 but I'm afraid I won't stop there.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
I miss this show sooooo much!@! when is it back? do we know?

Rslover

11-19-2002

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Supposedly not until March.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
LOL,Yes Jezz when I commit to something,I really commit,It was prbobaly more like 2 weeks!!I think....

Punkaroo

05-30-2006

Monday, October 03, 2011 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkaroo a private message Print Post    
I've started to watch Mad Men via the 3hr mini marathons on Sunday morning on AMC, now I understand what all the fuss is about, I can hardly wait week to week! Between that and the Sunday Coronation Street Omnibus, there is now 8 straight hours of don't miss TV on Sunday.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 3:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
There's still no confirmed date for next season, but I'll be happy to see it return in March!
Meanwhile, the cast is doing many projects and guest star roles. Seems weird seeing them out of character. Reminds me of the day my smart pal told me Santa was just a guy in a costume.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I've read that the season premiere is slated for March 25 and that it's supposed to be two hours.

Not really a spoiler because I avoid those but just in case someone doesn't want to know whether or not there'll be another time jump...
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Supposedly this season will jump ahead again.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Cover story for the March 16 issue of Entertainment Weekly! Just got my copy in the mail but haven't read it yet (I do have to do some work, lol).

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Can't wait till tomorrow night!!!!!

Mictay

09-29-2006

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Me either Maris!!!

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I had always heard how great this show was, but never took the time to watch. I accidently caught one of the Sunday morning mini-marathons a few weeks ago and instantly became hooked. Have been making it a point to be up with coffee in hand every Sunday morning at 6:00 AM.
I am woefully behind in most of the characters' backstories and will at some point invest in watching past seasons to catch up.
The last episode this morning had Don getting engaged to his secretary, Meghan. Who is the person that died in CA and left Don the ring? Was that his sister? I know a bit about his childhood, assuming the real Don Draper's identity after the war, etc. but am still missing pieces.
Also, does anyone know if this episode where Don got engaged, Betty moved out of the house and Peggy landed the Topaz pantyhose account was the Season 4 Finale? Trying to gauge how much of last seaso I've actually seen.
Just what I needed - another Sunday night show to watch/DVR.

Holly

07-21-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Snoop, it's been sooo long since the last season, I forget a lot. But I can answer one of your questions...the woman in CA who left Don the ring, was the REAL Don Draper's wife. She went along with Don #2's assumed identity and didn't blow his cover. Even gave him a divorce to marry Betty! They became very good friends. I don't even remember Don getting engaged!!! I know Betty remarried that councilman but don't know if they're still together. Amazing how much you forget when a show has been off the air over a year between seasons.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Tonight's season premiere is 2 hrs, 8 min long!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
A bit disappointed tonight and thought it was too long, also. At least daughter Sally briefly made an appearance, but where was Betty? Don't really care for the new Mrs. Don Draper. I had forgotten he had actually married that woman last season!

Best of the storylines and the one that really grabbed my attention all the way through was Joan's.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Agree, show seemed too long but that was because of the constant interruption of commercials.

Jenhavins

08-23-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenhavins a private message Print Post    
OMG at all the commercials.

January Jones (Betty) was still on maternity leave when they filmed the first episode so that should explain the absence.

I like Megan and Don together. He seems passionate enough about her, moreso than anyone else I've seen him with. That will probably only last about 2 episodes

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I DVR then zip through the commercials. This show is so authentic! I remember the 60's and this show is dead-on correct with clothing, hairstyles, attitudes, etc. Don's new wife's silly song was reminiscent of movies of the time and the media's idea of sexy women. Her teeth bother me. Pretty teeth were not as important back then and it almost seems like they are making a statement a la Austin Powers.

Did you notice when Don brought his children home from their visit, they were all piled in the front seat together with no seat belt. He extended his right hand across them when he stopped the car to protect them. We didn't realize back then how unsafe we were.

Also, when Roger picked up the baby he had a cigarette dangling from his lips. Nobody worried about second-hand smoke back then.

I see trouble ahead for Don's "perfect" marriage and with a promiscuous teen age daughter.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for drawing my attention to all the commercials...is that what made it 2 hours and 8 minutes long? I now remember that I turned it on late when it was in the midst of commercials and after a while, thought I had the wrong channel, because no show! Rather ironic, isn't it, that a show about an ad agency should have so many ads!

PS One season past, didn't they do a season opener with limited commercials and only one sponsor? Or does my memory deceive me?