TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 15, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Walking Dead: Walking Dead TV Show Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 15, 2012 users admin

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I think he actually had gills. That has never been explained.

I never get my favorite shows mixed up San. I probably watch each episode at least three times. The bloated dude had gills.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I didn't base my statement about the gills on seeing them. Who could tell with all that bloated flesh. I based it on the dialog. One of the characters made the comment.

Although I said that I don't get my shows mixed up, I did mix up character names in an earlier post. I called Darryl "T Dog." Just noticed.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Okay I get it....that scene started with them looking down the well and one of them asked "How long has he been down there?" and someone (Glenn?) answered, "Long enough to grow gills".

That was just a southern figure of speech....it just meant he'd been down there in the well water a long time.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Here's a transcript of that scene:

<snip>

"Dale aimed the flashlight at it and it turned its face towards the light, jerking its arms towards him, dead fingers twitching.

"Looks like we've got us a swimmer." He grimaced, promptly turning the flashlight off.

After a while of staring up at them, the zombie lost interest and went back to clawing at the wall.

Glenn peered over the edge at it, wrinkling his nose. "How long do you think he's been down there?"

Andrea snorted. "Long enough to grow gills."

Lori threw her hands up in frustration. "We can't leave it in there. God knows what it's doing to the water." There were murmured agreements.

"We could put a bullet in its head." T-dog suggested.

Maggie shook her head, taking her cowboy hat off long enough to run a hand through her greasy hair. "Woah guys no. Daddy don't much like any shootin' goin' on round he-"

"Why not? Glenn interrupted. "It's a good plan." The cowgirl glared at him, and Glenn offered an apologetic smile. "I mean…it makes sense." Maggie relaxed slightly.

Andrea sighed. "It's a stupid plan. If it hasn't already contaminated the water, then blowing its brains out will finish the job."

The group was silent for a beat, all watching the swollen horror slosh around in the dark.

"So it has to come out alive."

Andrea turned to Lori, mouth drawn in a frown. "How do we do that? Wouldn't we need bait or something?"

Slowly, the two women looked towards the smallest and most limber of the group. Glenn noticed their questioning eyes and took a step back, hands held up in front of him.

"Oh no. Oh hell no. No, no, no and NO.""

<snip>

Continued at the link:
http://m.fanfiction.net/s/7557692/3/

--------------
ETA - Actually, I'm not sure that is a true transcript, but the person writing it said that he used actual dialog from the episode...

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
What about the water squirting out behind its ears? You can see it in the clip above. Who can we ask for clarification?

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
that is called 'decomposition' and water does pour out thru the tissues when a waterlogged body is taken out of water. the body bloats and water gets between the skin and tissues.

it was realistic

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't think the phrase "long enough to grow gills" was meant literally. I've used it before about kids in my pool... :-)

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Ewwww! Actually San, your explanation makes more sense than now that I think of it.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I, too, took the gill comment literally. LoL...I admit, though, I never actually looked at the well walker. I closed or averted my eyes pretty much every time the camera showed him. He was just too grotesque! I am much happier thinking that he didn't grow gills, though...so thanks for putting that worry to rest for me. :-)

I've been enjoying the discussions y'all have been having this week. You've sure got my mind ticking now. :-)

I've been thinking about your posts about possible, eventual decomposition. If that were the case...that gradually the zombies might disintegrate to nothing, then it would be good news for the remaining living. It would mean that at some point the zombie population would eventually cease to exist, wouldn't it? So, there'd be a light at the end of the tunnel as long as the remaining living could just outlast the zombies.

Unfortunately, since we haven't seen any zombies who've died or appear to be dieing from "natural zombie causes" (lol), yet, I assume that that eventual "light" would still be a long way off.

...but it sure would be nice for the survivors (& us) to get some glimmer of hope.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
PS I'm a bundle of nerves for tonight's episode. Normally, I'm always anxiously looking forward to the new episodes, but today I'm feeling some dread too. I'm concerned that this might be another emotionally (& morally) stressful episode for me.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, I think these last two episodes are going to be edge of the seat stuff.

Good point about maybe the walkers eventually dying out, or at least becoming inanimate enough that they can easily be "killed." There will always be fresh walkers made, but with the human population diminishing the active walker population could become manageable.

The other thing is that it is a virus, so likely it would it end up mutating to different forms, like the flu virus does. Would it eventually mutate to something that would affect animals, and then we'd have herds of zombie rats or something?!

(I took the gills comment literally too, even thought I saw gills, but I'm also much happier thinking it's just a turn of phrase!)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Only AFTER you have watched tonight's show you might want to read this:

>>> link to tvline.com

It has teasers/mild spoilers about next week's finale, but is really interesting.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that article, Kitt,

This was an excellent episode! I want to see next week's right this minute but like everyone else, I have to wait a whole week. And to make it even worse, I just realized tonight that next week's episode is the season finale! Dang it.

We learned some good stuff tonight, too....turns out our recent discussion here was right on point!

Counting the minutes until next Sunday....

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep! Just wonderful, you go through the death of a loved one, and then you still have to bash them in the brain! Everyone will need a Darryl.

That walker herd - I wonder how long it would be before they give up, if everyone just holes up inside the house. Hope Darryl and Glen are back already and not in the woods still.

Can't believe it's the finale already. Cannot wait!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
WARNING going to talk (enthuse) about last night's episode now, run away if you haven't watched it yet!

Firstly they did a time marker, Rick referred to Darryl killing Dale "last night," so it's definitely Day 22.

Day 21
S2E11 They decide to execute Randall but don't. Carl frees swamp walker and swamp walker kills Dale.

Day 22
S2E12 They bury Dale. Rick decides to release Randall so Shane takes him out into the wood, breaks his neck and tells the others he ran away. Randall turns into a walker despite not being bitten. Shane and Rick face off, Shane is going to kill Rick but Rick stabs him. Shane turns into a walker and Carl shoots him in the brain.

One thing I noticed was how quickly Shane turned walker. When Andrea's sister died from the bite, it seemed a few hours before she revived as a walker. It must have been two minutes at most with Shane. I wonder if the virus has changed with time, or when we thought Andrea was dead (after being bitten) she was just unconscious and did turn immediately after she actually died.

Carl is suddenly a good shot!

I wonder who Rick's going to tell about killing Shane. Luckily for him Glen and Darryl are going to tell everyone about not needing to be bitten to turn walker, so he won't have to reveal that if he doesn't want to.

In the link above it says they made a point to make sure every dead body in the car pile-up we were talking about had head injuries, so as not to break their rule about dead people turning walker. At the time there seemed like a lot, but I guess there weren't really.

When Lori was talking to Shane about the past, does anyone know what she meant about "the fire?"

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Something must have been on fire and Shane saved Lori and Carl. Chaos reigned evidently when the walkers first appeared. Shane said people were shooting everyone in the hospital - even the living. Maybe next season we'll se a flashback.

Next week's episode appears to pay homage to the original "Night of the Living Dead" where the living are trapped in a farmhouse. I am so looking forward to it. And something is going on with that sick daughter. My one wish is - Please do not kill off Glen!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"When Lori was talking to Shane about the past, does anyone know what she meant about "the fire?""

I assumed she was talking about the explosion at the CDC that happened at the end of season one.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
From the way she said it I thought the fire was in that period before Rick came back. I wondered if it was in the car pile-up they showed in flashback just a few episodes ago, where they had the original people (the ones who camped up on the hill outside Atlanta) all in the tailback together. I vaguely remember a fire but I don't know if I'm confusing it with another show.

The trailers for next week looked really scary, about half the cast looked like they were about to be eaten.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
ok i thought the whole premise about the farm was that it was fully fenced from walkers AND the only place they'd sometimes get in is by the Mud Flats/ creek?? bog pit.

so suddenly now a herd of walkers can just walk straight up to the field by the house??

arggghhhh i hate it when things start getting contradictory to what they Already established.

its like for most of the last season we saw TWO walkers on the last day (barn freedom day). Weeks if not months went by. Suddenly this season we have walkers chowing down on cows etc.

i dont know.

i gotta just empty my brain and go with it

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Wasn't there a fence between the oncoming herd and Rick and Carl. The sheer numbers will break through of course. This must be the mutated virus working on unbitten corpses coming to life.

By the way, I'm still looking for a one-handed Merle.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I think a single roaming walker who's just wandering and doesn't have any direction it wants to go, will be kept out by a fence, but a whole herd of them, smelling blood will force down a fence. We've seen them get through proper city wire fences before, so one round a field wouldn't do much good if they were determined.

I don't know about a mutated virus, but I think maybe there are two sorts. I think the original virus, the one that Jenner said went global months ago, is the thing that turns people into zombies when they die. And then the zombies are full of bad infectious stuff because they're rotting (a different virus maybe, or just so much infection) so that when they bite an alive person it gives them a fever and kills them, and then (as they already have the zombie virus) they turn into zombies.

I should watch the CDC episode again and see if with what we know now it makes more sense.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I get the feeling that the CDC was their best, if not only, shot of learning how this came about and when that facility was destroyed, so was their hope of ever getting answers to their questions.

They've stopped looking for any help from the government. Now they're just trying to survive on a farm and as far as I can tell, they have no plans to ever leave. (Of course, that might change after the walker horde storms the farmhouse!)

Never knowing how this happened has always been one of the best aspects of the George Romero films. I think answering this question would detract from the show. The uncertainty of not knowing adds a lot to the fears, motives, and actions of these characters.

If Shane had still been living under the illusion that there was still hope for a "cure" and/or a return to civilized society, he might not have ever crossed that line and become the savage man he had become.

If, in fact, they do come across some secret government scientific facility working to find the cure, it would change the whole dynamic of this great character driven series. I think this show is so successful because the viewers, like the characters, are left in the dark so all they can do is take it one day at a time. All expectations for any future possibilities they had ever hoped for is now completely gone and all they have left is each other and their will to survive.

As they said on "The Talking Dead" a few episodes back - the title of the show, "The Walking Dead", refers to the living characters, not the walkers...

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have any speculation as to why Shane and the kid turned into walkers at all? They weren't killed by walkers so they shouldn't turn until they are infected by other zombies. Right??

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"They weren't killed by walkers so they shouldn't turn until they are infected by other zombies. Right??"

It appears that anyone who who dies for any reason (other than traumatic brain injury) will become a walker.

They didn't know this before because before last week's episode, everyone we saw die on that show had died by a bite from a walker. Now that Shane and Randall turned into walkers after being killed by a broken neck and knife wound respectively, they (and the viewers) finally realize that anyone who dies (even from natural causes) will become a walker.