TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 19, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Dance Shows: Dance Moms: Archive through September 19, 2011 users admin

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
I'd be surprised if it works that way, generally when there is a group with varied ages, which happens if you do an extra large group, line or production number where you include several groups, is that you figure out the average age and compete in that category. In this group Maddie is 8, Mackenzie 7, Chloe 10, Brooke 13, Paige 10, Vivie 6 1/2 and Nia is 9.. so the average age is 9.
If Abby Lee's really is this big important studio that they make it sound like, they would likely have competitive teams at every age level. I would imagine that the reason they are focused on this young group is that it's a show about the Moms, and the older the dancers get the more the Moms tend to dial down the crazy and not hover at the dance studio for hours on end.

Beangirl

07-06-2011

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beangirl a private message Print Post    
LOL…I don't know, my daughter is 13 and the crazy continues! They must be competing against much younger groups then…..I hate when studios do that!

Sunnydaze

05-26-2011

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnydaze a private message Print Post    
I saw on my cable line-up that they are showing all the shows again on Sat. afternoon, eastern.

Txhazeleyes

02-12-2008

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Txhazeleyes a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sunny...I think I missed an episode and hoping that I did. lol It'll be a nice little treat to see 2 *new* shows in one week. :-)

Ladyw

06-28-2007

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladyw a private message Print Post    
So I just saw the last 2 episodes and WOW -- The cancer that is Kathy -- I will tell you as a dance mom (8 years now) -- that kind of negativity gets old fast, and then it brings the kids down and the other parents. Our coach can be crazy and strict and hard -- but a parent like Kathy -- would be asked to leave the studio. Its very clear, that the other moms seems to get along very well together when kathy is not around. I kinda of agree with some of the things Abby (owner) does -- she is pushing the girls, technique first, these lyrical/contemporary pieces are the rage now.
I think this group was picked as a team for this show and thats why the age difference. Plus yes, around age 11 and 12 - the moms with serious dancers don't sit at the studio and watch. They drop off and come back 3 hours later.

Danzdol

04-21-2001

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Danzdol a private message Print Post    
So far I am more disgusted by these mothers than I am by the owner. She might have awful delivery in all she says but everything she is saying rings true to the real dance world. If moms just want daughters to dance in a happy, recital filled environment and wear cute costumes then they should go to studios that do not compete "competitively" iykwim. The competitive studios or the girls that truly want to dance as a career will almost always find it to be hard core and not for the faint of heart. I am glad I only coached college for the most part because I had zero contact with the parents. Phew!

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I L O V E this show!!! Ms. Abby is a hoot. I think some of the moms need to chill out a little bit. This show reminds me a little bit of "Sport kids and moms" (?) from several years ago.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Just saw tonight's episode. It is very telling that when Brooke hurt her shoulder, she went to her coach for comfort and not her mother... Maybe Ms. Abby is not the ogre the dance moms proclaim she is. (No, I am not related to Ms. Abby!)

Txhazeleyes

02-12-2008

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Txhazeleyes a private message Print Post    
Lol Rehtse. Glad to see there is at least ONE more of us Abby lovers. There's not many shows that my daughter and I agree on and actually watch together, but this is one of the few and in our opinion, the best!

Bama_karen

12-01-2010

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bama_karen a private message Print Post    
I love Abby also. This is a great show. My daughter and I watch it together and we both love it and she is a dance teacher. I agree that Abby appears to really care for these girls.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Christie (Is that Chloe's mom?) comes across like a bit of a hoochie-mama during the Vegas trip. I would toss Brooke's mom into that category as well. Not the best role models. I like Nia's mom; she appears to be very level-headed and classy.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I cant decide if the drama is for real or not. SOmetimes the tears look real but I still cant believe people pay good money to be treated like shit

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I appreciate the competitive nature of the show and that if they bring their daughters to Abby then they know what they are getting into but I really have a problem with costumes on little girls that are just a bra top and short shorts. We are in a competitive dance studio where that is not allowed and I appreciate that very much.

Txhazeleyes

02-12-2008

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Txhazeleyes a private message Print Post    
I don't have a problem with the outfits because none of the girls, even Brook at 14, doesn't have a womanly body so it would probably irk me some if they did.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I'm with you.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Tx, I'm a mom and I don't believe in selling my daughter's sexuality when she's young, whether she has that body yet or not. Also don't like how the Kardashians are marketed by their mother. I believe in being a strong female role model to girls who teaches them that their body is not required to succeed.

I'm not overly conservative just a strong viewpoint about my daughter's image while she is in my care. It's not hard to look good and still cover the body appropriately (my word for it).

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
Dance Mom's debuts in Canada this weekend on Slice. New episodes Fridays, with a repeat on Saturday and Sunday..

Txhazeleyes

02-12-2008

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Txhazeleyes a private message Print Post    
Each to their own, I just think it's weird that somebody could mention the word sexuality and a 10 year old in the same sentence. My daughter wore a bikini to the beach and to the pool until she was 13 and she herself felt like she didn't feel comfortable with one anymore. I never even considered it *sexual* by wearing teeny little bathing suits at such a young age but I do know that alot of people don't agree with me.

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
Bare midriffs do not necessarily make for a provocative costume on a tween. The song used, the choreography,the thigh high stockings and the color of the costume in the Electricity number was what earned them the Prostitots label in that one episode. But that is the only costume and dance number that seemed overtly mature, and it wasn't just about the costume.
Fit, strong little girls in two piece costumes is not sexual. She has them paint on abs, not cleavage. Showing off the strength of their bodies is not the same as displaying their bodies in a sexually alluring way.

Bama_karen

12-01-2010

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bama_karen a private message Print Post    
I think if the girls were uncomfortable in them it would be more of a problem. But I do see both sides. I personally don't have a problem with it.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
My daughter wore a bikini when she was 10 but she was not dancing provocatively on the stage in her bikini and slapping her ass. She knows not to slap her ass in any of her dancing. Unfortunately, it's the child molester creepers of the world who attach sexuality to 10 year old girls so I refuse to put it on display for them. I've seen plenty of creepers in audiences that don't seem to go with anyone. Just a watchful mother's eye, each to their own.

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
Wow, I can't believe that Cathy went so far as to purposely steal the music from another dancer. That's really low.
All season we heard "Abby Lee's doesn't lose", but they didn't win all that much this year. I think it's too bad that she makes them change it up every week, their dances just need more cleaning..

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
I found this information regarding Abby Lee's studio and Candy Apple's..
It's just somebody's blog, so take the info for what it's worth, but she does provide a lot of links to some interesting stuff..
Abby Lee's facebook page has an adorable picture of a cute as a button 3 or 4 year old Abby..
And, for some odd reason, Abby Lee's is also known as Reign Dance company?

It also has some evidence to back up the Cathy is a plant on the show, cast for drama theory.

http://www.lessthanreality.com/2011/08/you-have-questions-about-abby-lee-and.html

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I totally believe Cathy is a plant, down to her evil red lipstick!

I also think this show is a platform for Maddie's career. She really is talented and so pretty. She even has the classic Disney storyline...Mom not perfect/evil/missing. I wonder if her mom knew they would portray her as a gold digger that chooses her bf over her dd.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, September 19, 2011 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I breathed a sigh of relief when Nia was able to do the backward drop thing...she was awesome!!