TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 08, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 08, 2011 users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
New episode tonight - Gwyneth Paltrow. I have high expectations for the annoyance factor. I will consider myself entertained if she manages to annoy me more than she already does.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
LOL goddess, as long as she doesnt burst into song at any point of the show I'll be okay.

I think it was the Academy Awards where she sang? she was alright/ in tune BUT i dont think she'd ever get a singing gig IF she wasnt Gwyneth Paltrow. Isnt her Husband some big music star in his own right? Cant remember and am too halfasleep to go searching. :-)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
You mean her husband who refuses to be seen with her at red carpet functions? Yes, he's the lead singer of Cold Play. I don't blame him for not wanting to be seen with her LOL.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I thought tonight's episode might be about the patrician side of the family, since Gwynnie has told us in every interview she's ever given that she's descended from the most priestly sect of rabbinical rabbis who ever rabbied.

But no, it seems tonight is just going to tell us more about her special princess status in her father's Jewish line.

I do hope to gain some pointers on Jewish research, however.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
She doesn't bother me, so I will probably enjoy the show. Actually I have liked her much better since she stopped being 'AN ACTRESS' and started loosening up like she does no Glee.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
While I love her mother, I am not a fan of hers.

I'll watch the show because I love it normally.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
:-( found this episode even more disjointed and unlikely then Steve's.

it seems that the obvious was overlooked. two young girls on their own, youngest at 13 yet no 'info' as to how they survived? interestingly i think Gwyneths own words made the most sense.... She made a comment that she'd never let two young girls on a ship with a bunch of men.

During That time period, the city was Wall to WALL men. I have no idea why that Historian said that the girls would leave since women outnumbered the men. What a load of hooey!

anyways, a young woman of any virtue would NOT have been taking a long trip on a Ship full of sailors. Merchant seamen have a reputation to this day!! somehow i dont think they'd be much better back then.

during this time period Maui had up to 10,000 sailors at a time In the main port. Men, looking for Entertainment.

So it doesnt take too much of an imagination to know what two young girls did for a Trip to New york on that Merchant ship.

JUST a theory.

Oh and I got a kick out of the myth of the Kabbalah Great grandfather. Not sure how waving a hanky stopped a blazing inferno BUT maybe everyone grabbed blankets and started putting out the fire when He signalled them to do so.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Disjointed is a good word for it, Sunshyne. This episode was all over the place.

I also considered your theory regarding the girls' trip to NY when the story was unfolding. Sad if true. And why did they stop at those two girls' parents, they acted as if there was no more information to find. Barbados in that time frame, I wouldn't have been surprised to hear a story about slave trading in the family.

I love your theory about the Kabbalah great grandfather, also LOLOL. Nothing mystical about it. Sounds like he was a beloved spiritual leader, though. Why was Gwyneth acting as if she didn't know anything except rumors about the rabbis in her family, she's been giving interviews that include reference to them for years. And why did they stop at the hanky-waver? Surely there were texts somewhere that illuminated the line of rabbis much further back.

I generally find, such as in Buscemi's case, that when one of these shows doesn't seem to offer much by way of "WOW" information, they at least spotlight some search techniques that may be a bit obscure and potentially useful to viewers. That wasn't the case at all with this episode. A few census records, death records, and a trip to Barbados.

The teenage boy who died within a few months of his mother. Did I miss something, or did they just not say how he died?

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
OK, this made me laugh:

Gwyneth Paltrow and the Naughty Rabbi

Simcha Paltrowitch apparently had a bit of shade in his story.

Genealogywise

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
GAL, they didn't say. I was specifically listening for that after hearing the mother died from cirrhosis.

Seabreeze

09-05-2004

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seabreeze a private message Print Post    
The death certificate said something about obstruction.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Many people suffer from cirrhosis who don't and never have had an alcohol problem. The wife of our pastor almost died from it before she had a liver transplant.

I like Gweneth and very much enjoyed her quest for information on her ancestors.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I went back and rewatched portions of it, the death certificate says (indecipherable) intestinal obstruction.

And I just realized why I find Gwyneth insufferable. Her mother tells her things like "I think you have the wisdom of the rabbis." Now, I realize mothers are supposed to be uplifting and supportive but come. on. If she's had that kind of smoke blown up her bootie her entire life (on top of being rich and beautiful), no wonder she can't relate to us peons.

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
(Her nasally voice annoys me...)

Catfat

02-27-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Catfat a private message Print Post    
I think she has had her nose done. It looks much narrower than it used to.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
On a shallow note, Ashley Judd looked ROUGH in her previews. I've always admired how she has allowed herself to age naturally and gracefully. She looks like she's been drinking WAY too much or something. Bloated and jowly.

I like her and hope all is well. She has a book coming out from what I understand.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 11:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
scarring of the liver can happen from more than just drinking. I'm thinking that during that era of history, there were a fair amount of parasites and diseases which can affect the liver/ intestines. Its curious that the mom died of Liver and the son of bowel so close to each other.

Maybe a bad case of Ameobic infection, or hepatitis OR maybe even Chemically derived. Some of those home remedies were loaded with Toxic Chemicals.

i tried to do a bunch of digging as to the hardcore history of Bridgetown. Was surprised how little i found from that time period. the area was Founded by 64 families ALL whom were merchants. Each was given a Large amount of land to work.

Smokey

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I recorded this but after reading in here, decided to delete it. I'm not a Paltrow fan, either, but I do like the show.

I agree with GAL about what her mother has told her. She has the "wisdom of the rabbis"?? HUH? I'm cracking up thinking about saying something like that to one of my daughters. There's a fine line between teaching self respect and self love and feeding the ego.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Gwyneth's singing in Country Strong. It was a good movie.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Some deleted scenes from Gwyneth Paltrow's episode -

She learns more about her Barbados ancestors and meets some distant cousins

She learns more about her Paltrow ancestors Simcha and Zippy

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
New episode tonight and season finale: Ashley Judd.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, April 08, 2011 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Gal, thanks for the heads-up! :-)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 08, 2011 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Couldn't happen to a nicer person! Best episode of the two seasons.

Aurora

11-24-2006

Friday, April 08, 2011 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Aurora a private message Print Post    
I guess I just assumed that anyone who is a descendant of someone who came over on the Mayflower would be aware of that through family lore. Besides William Brewster and his wife Mary, I found they had two sons named Love and Wrestling. Another son, Jonathan joined them in America in 1621 and two daughters, Patience and Fear in 1623.

Among other Brewster descendants are Lindy Boggs, Edward R. Murrow, Bing Crosby, Richard Geer, Ted Danson and a long list of other notables. Ashley Judd is also listed, I suppose after she discovered this information? Or would her search have been as simple as checking out Wikipedia.

Fascinating stuff.

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Friday, April 08, 2011 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
It looks like the info about Ashley Judd was just added tonight (check the history of the page...)(and notice she's listed twice, at least right now!)(the topmost listing is the one just added...don't know when the alphabetical one was)