TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 12, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: RACE TO SURVIVE ALASKA ... USA channel: Archive through April 12, 2023 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This started last night, it was excellent.

Reminded me of the old shows that Mark Burnett did, Eco-challenge.

It is like those in that teams are competing for a $500,000.

Over the course of 40 days and six races, the teams will have to conquer more than 100 miles of the world's most inhospitable terrain without food, water or a charted path.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I saw it was showing again tonight. They already had to airlift out a competitor.

It is pretty hard, the teams have 4 days to get from one point to the next, but they can only travel for 12 hours and have to stop for 12 hours. They were given a bit of "emergency rations" and it wasn't clear if they were allowed to pack any food in but they do say they have to get their food from foraging the land.

Last night they ran into/across two different bears that made them change their hiking directions.

I really enjoyed it, and the scenery was georgous.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Here is an article about the show

https://www.usanetwork.com/usa-insider/how-when-watch-usa-networks-race-survive-alaska

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I felt awful for that poor woman. She said several times "I need electrolytes", but they never showed her husband (and her) stopping to drink. It made me feel like that could have been prevented.

She told her husband she was dying and she would "see you in heaven." She must have been quite bad off. They said she was going into shock.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It really was shocking to see how badly she was impacted so quickly. I agree it sure seems like the team could have prevented it, surely they had water in their packs. Although I thought I saw someone filling a bottle at a stream and remember being concerned about whether the water was really safe to drink without boiling.

I did wonder what the temp was while they were hiking.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I saw one screen that said 82 degrees.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I recorded this. Judging from everyone's reviews I can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2023 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is good...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
This one does sound good. I watched a show called Outlast on Netflix which took place in Alaska and enjoyed it for 2 episodes. Then it became a Hunger Games type situation with people stealing other people's sleeping bags and food to force them to quit. It was no longer enjoyable after that. I prefer the shows like Alone where you see the struggles but also the success of hard work so again, this sounds good.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens since they will have to find their own food as the time goes on. If it ends up being a starvation kind of thing, I may not enjoy it as much.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well the previews showed at least one team catching a fish, plus most have said they did survival contests before so probably know about foraging.

And the girls did find the blueberries, although I would have been a bit worried about bears since they like those too, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Someone eats a big slug... šŸ˜¬

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I had seen the previews and wanted to watch, and totally forgot. So thanks Dipo for the reminder. Eco-Challenge was my favorite.

I was grimacing when the father-son vegans were eating the clams/mussels. When you are a vegan and all of a sudden eat any type of "flesh", your system does not take to it kindly. I was thinking that shellfish would be nasty on the way back out. The son confirmed that. I imagine there was a certain amount of Montezuma's Revenge also. Hopefully he is young enough to bounce back.

I am curious about the emergency food rations. How much they get and why they wouldn't have make sure to give the vegans something appropriate. If it goes down the path where they have to kill animals to survive, I would probably not watch anymore.

Esther is an Alaskan and used to the terrain and climate. I'm sure the stress and the adrenaline pushed her over the edge. They said the contestants are never left alone for a minute. They take their safety very seriously. The producers said:

"You don't do the show unless you've got the right people in the right spot. When we see what happened in Episode 1, I had 100 percent confidence knowing that we executed a plan flawlessly. At the end of the day, Esther wouldn't be alive if we didn't execute flawlessly"

So it was pretty serious. Thankfully she is ok. I realized after, that the interview with her boyfriend (where he was crying as he was describing how wonderful a person Esther was) was after they airlifted her. Not before as the showed it. That was chilling when she told him she was dying and she would see him in heaven!

This show has all the makings of a good reality survivalist show. But I like it when it isn't about starving or having to kill because of it. So we shall see

From what I have gathered from the articles I have read before the show started, it's going to be a wild ride!
The competition is fraught with events that would kill a normal human being. It might even be a bit much for these superhuman survivalist competitors.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Why did they bring such heavy backpacks? Twice as big as everyone elseā€™s.
The very handsome black guy with the heavy black beard looks very familiar. Maybe a ā€œ Bachelorā€?

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Lake yeah backpacks were a whopping 78 pounds!

Max, the one you are referring to, was on Naked and Afraid

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks I was racking my brain.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
You probably didn't recognize him with his clothes on

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2023 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well they certainly are going to kill that fish..

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, April 08, 2023 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I just watched my recording... OMG - I totally loved it!!! That rainforest was insane. Everyone that went through the rainforest said they struggled to breathe when they were in it. Was it the "cover" of the rainforest that was preventing them from being able to breathe?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, April 10, 2023 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New show tonight!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 10, 2023 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yay..

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - 1:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Oh my gosh....the dad. When the son said, I worry about my dad...that something hes going to do.. might take us out of the race. I was thinking heck, I was worrying that something he was going to do might kill him.

The dad didn't want the two girls to "follow" them...but they saved his butt three times. They helped pull him out of the hole, they traded them the sorghum so they could eat and they had first aid supplies to clean his finger when he nearly chopped it off. Shouldn't everyone have brought first aid supplies? Lucky the girls were doctors...even though one is a vet.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I think it was the brother and sister team who were following the father and son (and made the trade for food). The female doctors are a different team and came in behind them at base camp.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it was the siblings in the beginning, you are right. The dad thought doesn't want anyone around them but ends up being lucky people were there to help. I was wondering when he fell off of the two rope bridge, if he can't get up...how are they going to rescue him? Turned out he easily recovered. But I'm sure we are going to see more from him lol

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I would have thought that a preparing for this race you would have packed at least a minimal first aid kit. And being vegan, some sort of protein bars as well.

But Seamonkey, I thought the same thing, Dad is gong to get himself seriously hurt, he seems a little unaware, did they say if he had still been racing while Son went on his own. I just think Dad is out of his element this time.