TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 04, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Home Improvement: HGTV - Remodeling and other Shows: Archive through May 04, 2019 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 07, 2018 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Shoot, I freeze when I have to make relatively small decisions! Home design ones - can I say my kitchen cabinets are still hunter green and I have looked up how to paint them at least 20 times? But that would entail choosing a color...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 07, 2018 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Roxip. I have needed to install a towel rack for at least 1, maybe 2 years. I purchased one that was bronze toned which would look great, however, I didn't realize/think that I wouldn't be able to just screw it into the wall. You have to do all these machinations to put them up so the screws won't show.

So I finally decided I would look to see if there are ones that screw into the wall, and what you know there are, but they are silver.

I am at the point I don't really care anymore, so I have one now and I need to put it up. I think I have had it about 2 weeks, and today I took it out of the box and looked to see how to put it up.

I might get it up tomorrow.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My toilet paper holder is lying on the bathroom floor next to the toilet...probably for over a year now. Those darned screws just wouldn't hold it up!

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Dear Roxie, I bought at Home Goods a free standing tp holder that also holders 2 extra rolls.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I watched this train-wreck of a show during its original run and really enjoyed it...

HOWEVER, I think the home decorating audience from the original run to present time has changed, matured.

It around the time the Trading Spaces' original run was winding down that I started watching HGTV's Designer's Challenge... I considered it to me a much better show... then of course Fixer Upper... where good taste reigned supreme.

Trading Spaces hasn't evolved at all... somethings like a room remodel shouldn't be rushed and crazy designers with weird ideas really don't help...

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Disregard above post... it was meant for the Trading Spaces page...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
But it was still a good post both times I read it...LOL!

I don't have room for a freestanding toilet paper holder...although come to think of it the toilet paper roll on top of the trash can isn't a good look either.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Remember form follows function.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 04, 2018 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOVE it or LIST it...I am watching a show from 2017 and I am sorry but you do not convert the garage into an in-law unit if you are going to sell it. The new buyers will want a garage.

So I bet they are going to LOVE IT.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 04, 2018 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So the house David found was even better for the family, plus they could move away from all the relatives that had moved and surrounded them....

AND....they decided to LOVE IT, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Off the Grid....A homebuilding show on Animal planet. I watched a family build a totally self sufficient home in Montana, they wanted to be debt free so they could travel, they did end up getting a mortgage.

Then I watched a very young couple build a round earth*bag home on a family homestead, I think it was in Montana as well.

Anyway, I get living off the grid but none of these people seemed to have jobs so where did they get the money to pay for all the supplies, etc to build. Especially the young couple.

The older couple could have had jobs and been saving for a while, but the young ones were barely in their 20's.

Just boggles my mind since it took me 53 years of hard work to save up enough to buy my home!

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 1:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Dipo, if a person is low income, they can buy a house for nothing down with down pmt assistance programs available in most states or with a USDA/RD loan - closing costs can be rolled into the loan if the property appraises high enough.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I watch Building Off the Grid off and on and some of those houses are really incredible. I saw the "earth bag home" one. Perhaps they had just saved every penny they had...they didn't have to buy the land because it was on a family homeplace, and much of the labor was volunteered.

I wish I had the saving gene...LOL!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I realize that Willwillbee, but you still have to have an income to make the mortgage payments and even affordable/low interest loans require that you qualify.

Roxip, yeah, I knew the land was free, but I didn't hear anything from that couple that indicated they had worked anywhere in order to save the money to buy the supplies. And they talked about how they didn't have the money to fix the bridge, I think it was going to cost about $10,000.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have wondered the same thing. Even if they did have jobs how could they take off several months at a time in order to spend all their time on these builds?

Did you see the one where the Montana couple was building the house (with unattached garage)? I know both of them had jobs but they had obviously taken a lengthy leave in order to build their homes.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Were they the ones who put the solar panels on their garage? I saw that one and wondered the same thing, LOL.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yes, and they lived in a tent (albeit a very nice tent) while they were building.

Kearie

07-21-2005

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
Those are called YURTS, I believe. They tend to run around 30K. I think they have a website for them.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NATE & JERIMIAH BY DESIGN -- I love this show, and watching it now.... why do people think that they can do home improvement just by watching some YouTube videos, just cracks me up that people believe this.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
um. My husband and I used to watch this old house and did remodeling on our own home. I am paying for some of the mistakes now, but we did most of it ourselves. We did call in an electrician, but we did all the plumbing, I did the venting and my ex did the drainage, with my approval, I took a 6 week course in plumbing your house at high school night school. ha ha.When I hired a contractor for my kitchen I called in a professional plumber and electrician to help as required by law when you get the proper permits.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I totally get doing it yourself when you take classes. I mean seriously you can watch youtube for some things but I sure wouldn't use youtube for anything electrical or plumbing wise.

Sheetrocking, tiling, that stuff you can learn from youtube but you still don't know how hard it is and there is a learning curve.

I learned that personally, I will never, ever, try to change out grout myself ever again. I will pay someone to do it. Sure it wasn't that hard but it would have been a lot better if I had someone else do it, LOL.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, April 22, 2019 - 1:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
ha ha, I am hiring someone to redo my grout also, it keeps getting moldy. I found my add on water pik showerhead was full of mold, so that is in the garbage now. I could not see it until I took it down, and I could not get it open to clean it out so going to buy a new one soon. I have a fixed one on now and I can't get all parts of me wet with that original one. But it is clean.
And the plumbing class was 6 3 hour classes after work at night. We never even got to weld, but now you use plastics anyway so no biggie. Mostly we concentrated on emergency repairs, not redoing an entire bathroom.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Best Room Wins debuted last night with Genivive Gorter. I liked it. It started with Hollywood Regency which is one of my favorite genres in home decor.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Haven't heard of that one...and I really like Genevive.

I canceled my recording of Trading Spaces...I watched an episode or two and I just got annoyed...I really don't think that show has aged well and I don't get a kick out of seeing people's homes abused.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
The show just started right now where I am. I already like it. Probably because they are real designers and they get $25,000. This is actual designing.

Love that the clients are so different and the show matched the homeowners with designers with similar tastes.

Stupid gas fireplace. The home owners should have had that installed before the designer got there if they wanted it so bad.