TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 24, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through April 24, 2018 users admin

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I"d have thought that all of them would know to take the 5 qt skillet (amazon) instead of a 2 qt pot, when most of your need of it is in boiling water, both for drinking and to access salt from seawater. For such needs, the more volume in your container, the better, and the wider the bottom of your container, the better, too.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
season one, they were allowed to take only 1 5 lb pack of food. In season 2 and 3, it was 2 such rations. for season 4, the most they can take is 2 rations that are a mere 2 lbs each, for TWO people. Taking 10 rations of food would mean you have no knife, no way to start a fire, no cordage, nothing but the 2 tarps (20x20 and 10x10) that they gave you (back then). you'd have no container for boiling water, no net or hooks/line for catching fish, no sleeping bag, nothing.

Now, granted, you CAN stone-boil in a segment of tarp, and you CAN force-dry (with hot stones) some soft debris and conjure up a sleeping bag out of the tarp, given a sharp stone to cut it and a bone to poke holes in it and strips of tarp to use as cordage. IF you can manage a friction fire. 50 lbs of pemmican and gorp, tho, IF that were a legit option, would feed you ok for 40 days, if all you did was lie around, so it might well have won the first season. Basically, tho, you'd have had to take a few other things, so the most food you'd be able to take would be 35 lbs, which would feed you ok for maybe a month. That MIGHT be enough to win, if nobody else had a clue how to feed themselves (as seems to be the case, sure enough).

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
you can make a raised bed (if there's 2 of you) in half a day and it can be under a tarp shelter, a LOT more easily than you can build a cabin (that's worth a hoot).

I'd want a wool and oilcloth sleeping bag, so that I could dry it out with hot rocks. The space under the 10x10 and 12x12 tarps is not going to be enough to spread out even ONE person's stuff and dry it near a fire, and you can't have synthetics near fire (or touching hot stones) The will melt and/or catch fire.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Dave did not have a lot of smoked salmon. I think that they were trout and he had about a dozen SMALL chunks of fish. Fish and game offer only 800 calories per lb, so you'd need to eat 6 lbs per day of it, if you're active in cold weather, or at least half that much if all you're doing is holing-up in your sleeping bag. So all he had, really, was a very few day's food. You SHOULD eat all you can, because stored food can be lost to flood, fire, animals, spoilage. Dave was too skinny before he even started this challenge. Once the food is stored as your body fat, none of those outside risks threaten it.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
People who don't even know the basics for such calculations (and the decisions that stem from them) shouldn't be on this show. Ditto if they're not much-experienced bow-hunters and net-fishermen.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 4:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
This season is grossly set up for a hubby wife team to win, cause they'll get along better, and they dont have to split the money, while other combos do have to split it. So the hubby wife team has 2x as much motivation and an easier time of it, IF the wife is respectful of her hubby, and has some experience and IF the man is properly motivated, skilled and tough.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Hated to see Brooke and Dave leave, I thought they would win for sure. Their food source stopped and made it impossible. So surprised the brothers are still there. The one seems so sick, on the verge of tapping and the father and son are not doing so well either. Seems everyone will be tapping soon, just who can last a little longer.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well she just did not get there fat enough. Iti harder for women to lose weight than men, but she seemed like a very active person who always does stuff while they were sitting. In this case some book knowledge of how to eat and cook local food might have helped them.
I think the snail is Oregon hairy triton, I am looking for how you have to cook them, they look like they would have enough meat as long as you remove their salivary glands, with the sulfuric acid. the acid might be worth saving in a shell for eating away at things.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Why does everyone just assume that you can't feed yourself adequately? Why not use the inner strands of the 2000 ft of paracord in the hammock and gillnet to make 2000 sq ft of 3" mesh netting and catch 100 lbs of fish, once a week, in a baited cove? why not use the fish guts (and maybe some of the fish) to bait coons, possums and bears to within 10m of your tree platform-blind an arrow the bears. Make netting and sapling-framed box traps for the smaller critters. 3 wraps of same require them to do a LOT of chewing (in the right spot). Usually they chew on the front or rear ends of the trap, so I make those out of notched 1" limbs. They give you trail cam, which can tell you when the best times are to be up in the blind. Make a ladder and pull it up with you, tie it along the trunk or a limb, where it wont be noticed by the bear. Make a big wooden mortar and pestle, and juice kelp, guys. treble hooks and roasted cambium, set on small log rafts, with drowning rocks tied about a foot from each hook, in at least 4 ft of water, will net you a lot of ducks and gulls. The rocks keep the ruckus and suffering to a minimum. Why does anyone want to watch a bunch of fat people just lie around?

It would take a 5 gallon bucket full of snails, (literally) every day, to adquately feed a man and woman. So they never really HAD a food source. But fat bears ARE there, trying to get even fatter, before they hybernate. Gulls and ducks ARE there, and fish by the 18wheeler load, if you use fish guts to bait a cove, as the tide comes in. Then, as the tide starts out, stretch the 100m of 6 ft wide net across the cove, at a point where there will be only a foot deep level of water at low tide. Start with 3" mesh. if it doesn't harvest much in the way of fish, fold it back on itself and tie it every other mesh, with bits of the inner strands, and try again, with your (now) 1.5" mesh. Or weave in and tie split shoots, vines, roots to create the smaller mesh.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
with kelp juice for a carb source, bears, possums and coons and ducks as a fatty meat source, and lots of fish and crabs being netted/trapped, there's no reason to lose any weight, after the first couple of weeks, at least. Each person can weave 200 sq ft of 3" mesh netting in a day. 2 people can get that net across the cove in half the time. One person can be weaving netting at the camp while another sits in the bear blind, weaving more netting, making trap frames, etc. Each day's net production can be hung as a gillnet, until you've got it all ready to be assembled. So you'll be catching more and more fish each day.

After you close off the cove, you use vertical poles, stuck in the mud, to move the net towards shore for harvesting the fish, or towards a (noted and marked) deep hole for live-storage. The penned up fish will serve to bait in seals, bears, etc, so will have to be guarded. Arrowing a bear or seal will win this challenge for you.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
it has NEVER been an option to take 50 lbs of food, and it would not work. You'd have no cutting edge, no cordage, no way to start a fire, no way to boil water, You've never been able to take more than 10 lbs of food. Double rations are a bad idea, cause they cost you a more useful, long term item. Going with no rations at all is VERY risky, due to its taking time to get set up to hook fowl and fish. It's the wrong time of year to expect any real caloric benefit from plants, other than juicing the kelp.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
The brothers won, 75 days is a long time, congrats!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I wanted to know why his stomach was hurting so bad? They never even talked about that! I thought for sure he either had an ulcer or perhaps a bad gallbladder (I had mine out in April, and it was extremely painful; I spent a whole day in the ER on diladid and anti-nausea meds before they were able to get me into surgery). They made such a big deal out of him being so sick, but then never mentioned it in the followup show.

I wonder if the other teams felt cheated about not being included in the reunion show. That's the first time they've done that.

I was kind of disappointed in the "sneak peek" of season 5. They said it was in a brand new location, but didn't say where. And they had all these people talking in voice-over, but didn't show us a thing. That was nothing!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They did make it sound like there would be some repeats in the next season... people we would recognize, or that would be familiar?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
They did talk about why the brother had problems, not so much about Pete. I can tell you and this is no way a good comparison, but I went sailing on a small boat for a distance it was days until we saw land, and stormy seas. I slept in the open cockpit in the rain and could not keep anything down. The crackers were gone the first day with everyone struggling, so yeas after 3 days, my long empty stomach really hurt between vomiting and nothing but liquids in it. There was nothing wrong with my stomach before the trip, there sure was during it. we anchored for 2 days off an vacant island, so I ate then but had to repeat the trip going back. I think the cold and empty stomach can hurt jsut for being empty, not like being home and not eating anything, you don't have to get up out of the warm at home.

On another board they said that Nichole and Brooke both posted on their web sites they would be away for a while, so maybe both of them or maybe not. I know that Nichole does weekend lecture/trips but she always advertises them. I will have to go look myself.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yay to both Nicole and Brooke!

Sadiesmom, I've had the stomach flu where your stomach muscles are painfully sore from throwing up. That is no fun. I was just surprised they didn't talk about it at all. They did talk about taking Pete straight to the hospital, but nothing about Ted (or was it Jim? I still don't know which is which).

Deriv

08-07-2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I bet the producers are mad as hell about that. They made it 2-3x as hard this season, with all the handicaps that they threw at the entrants and they still went 2 weeks longer than season 2, and 3 weeks longer than season 1

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
Season 5 of Alone is Redemption, so I wonder if they're all returning players?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
from bushcraft USA
Nicoles's facebook page says "Hello all! I will be completely off-grid for a while working on a remote survival project. Please keep me in your thoughts....this will be fun but tough! Catch you all when I get back"

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Season 5 of Alone is Redemption, so I wonder if they're all returning players?

Sounds like that is very likely the case. Go, Nicole!!!

Deriv

08-07-2017

Monday, September 04, 2017 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Lots of ignorance out there. People scared of 200 lb bears)size of most of them. People saying need 100's lbs of salt to cure 100 lbs of bear meat! That's funny. 5 lbs will do it, if you know how,it's the same as pork You make a brine to dip the small pieces in, skewer and smoke them.

people don't understand why they (finally) required the dummies to not bring down bags. Under the conditions of this show, the down WILL get wet and useless, and you can't dry it out. There's nothing against using a wool and canvas bag, other than its bulk and weight, which dont mean anything here, cause they aint moving any.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I was looking for information on season 5 and found this posted at bushcraterusa. it is an interview with season 2 crazy Larry. He is interviewing his wife about what she thought while he was on the show. it is 40 minutes. Normally I would just go eh and leave it alone, but i was fascinated for 40 minutes.
It wasn't so much about the show but it was more about how much love they had for each other, such perfectly matched people. Now I imagine they have some colorful fights but I was so envious about their love, I feel like I never had that with my ex - note ex for a reason. I know lots of people with good marriages but I don't think I have seen the sharing as much as here. Maybe I am just delusional, but it really touched me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQrihuYS8Q&feature=youtu.be

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 1:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
season 5 Mongolia June 14th people getting their second shot at it.
the date is posted on Preciously TV by someone who saw a commercial for it today.
her is an article
Alone Season 5: Premiere date, cast, location and everything you need to know

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
How do you know it's Mongolia?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, it was supposedly announced in the ad this person from previouslyTV saw.
also, they released photos of the area and it was matched with scenes from Mongolia on the Bushcraft USA board a long time ago. it was officially announced in the news that it would be in a new foreign location just after season 4 was over

heh the Bushcraft people have almost identified all the cast in this Thread https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/alone-season-5-redemption.204351/
I have nothing in common with these people, but I love treading their threads. a very positive group. and lots of research on Mongolia
contestants post on the board,