TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 07, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Home Improvement: Trading Spaces 2018 Saturday 4/7: Archive through April 07, 2018 users admin

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 3:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Has it been a decade already - I love this show! I'm thrilled it's bacccccccccck.

"The show that launched an entire TV genre is about to renovate your Saturday nights! The long-awaited return of Trading Spaces finally has a premiere date -- Saturday, April 7th at 9/8c

The ninth season will kick off an hour before at 8/7c with a one-hour reunion special, reuniting the cast for the first time since the show went off the air back in 2008."

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/we-finally-know-when-trading-spaces-will-return-take-a-look/

Florin

08-27-2006

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 3:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
I would constantly watch this show.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
They were showing reruns...I forgot how horrible some of those were...turning a bedroom in to a “jail” with bars, and a mural in browns and reds! Black wall shot with paint balls (that were water soluble I believe). I don’t know if I’m to watching a new season!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I was coming here to say the very same thing Reader. Today they painted a room purple and shot hot pink paint balls at the wall. Used a water bed in place of a couch. I don't want them to do awful decor just for the shock value.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
It’s the Hildi and Doug over the top, I remember when it was just finished we had a thread, with a link to after the Trading Spaces...I went digging on google, most was about the upcoming season, they swear Hildi and Doug were not going for shock, but nobody believes that! Hildi’s “hay” room is the best example of the worst, and can be found, it took 5 people 17 hours to get the glue off. They had listed to protect the fireplace mantel and that was destroyed! (Shock factor).

I’m wondering what will take place this go around. Paige was hosting a talk show for Hallmark Channel, Home and Family, but resigned when it interfered with her marriage! She wasn’t resigned in the middle of Trading Spaces, and ratings plummeted they resigned her, and she had a few conditions, one was 2 carpenters!

One thing that stood out was the premis of the show is two days, $1,000... what do you expect?! It won’t be a cover of Better Homes and Gardens! (Which seemed to be the expectations of many). And with the filming of reality tv, it’s mor like 1 day, plus a little. It was 17 years ago 😱 and reality tv was new, people believed it was real, not scripted, not staged, like certain shots were redone, that surprised some, it was 17 years ago. Lots of poor painting, cheap materials- - and if you didn’t want a chair or table sawed down, you better put it in another location, because that’s what they’d go for! (Shock value)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So many shows returning lately and I can't think of one I was missing. Not saying I won't check it out, but if they don't raise the budget it won't compete even with the old version, let alone current rehab shows.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I won't be watching... between budget and time constraints... and the taste level of some designers... yeah, count me out.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
The other designers always managed to do some really good design with the budget. It was just Hillary and Doug. I think perhaps the producers learned their lesson when the ratings dropped cause no one was watching.
I will watch.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The older man was not good either. It looked too homemade crafty. I liked the red haired womans designs the best.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
there were some designers that always made people happy. No matter what the the people wanted, they always loved that Vern Yip gave then something they would want. Laurie ws usually on and Genevieve only had a few losses. It was Hildy for the most part who was outrageous, she would never live in a place like she gave other. With a few horrific examples, Doug usually did not destroy what people wanted saved, so they could always go back. When he wanted to redo a fireplace, he build a new one over the existing one so it could be taken down.
Ty Pennington and Paige Davis explain why it's time for more 'Trading Spaces'

Yes, neighbors still swap houses and have two days to renovate a room in each other’s homes before the big “reveal.” And familiar faces, including Ty Pennington, Vern Yip and Frank Bielec are back. But the budget has doubled, to $2,000, and homeowners feel more comfortable mixing things up.

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
I really liked this show and probably will watch.

I think Vern was the only one that always tried to do something nice with the limited budget.

Hildy is another story. I don’t know if she was pissed off at the show or thought the people getting the make overs were beneath her but I’d rather not see her back.

I think one of the worse ones was when she covered every available space in the room with plastic flowers glued to the walls.
I’m sure it cost the home owners more to undo the damage than what she spent.
I’m 100% certain she doesn’t have that in her house.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I hope Edward is coming back but don't think he is in the promo shot. I like Vern and Frank and Laurie did some nice rooms. Genevieve is abut hit and miss and as everyone know Hildy & Doug are awful.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Was Frank the older man?

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Frank was the older man, who leaned country., in his designs. Genevieve did that moss bedroom, with the homeowner that had asthma and allergies to grasses. She was always barefoot. Doug did a room where he carted in sand. In a living room. Hildy did that horrific plastic flower bathroom, but she stapled the flowers on. Forgot who gave the pastor a kitchen with wine labels...

It just was so wrong, it wasn’t fun to watch

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I'll never for forget the living room painted deep purple with white hands mounted on the walls... it was creepy.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Trading Spaces was the show that launched Ty's career... from carpenter to tv host... now i'm drawing a total blank on the name of the show...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ty with that bullhorn.. Very annoying!

Frank had sugar gliders as pets.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 4:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Laurie was the best designer, but she wasn't on that often. Vern was second best. I remember reading an article where Ty said that Vern cheated on his receipts. He didn't hand them all in or would put in fake ones that were for lesser amounts. And he would use leftover materials from paying clients to make a nice room for the contestants. I say good for him. I want to see happy people and get ideas that I can use.

On a sidenote, I remember thinking about Hildi and the plastic flower bathroom was (if the couple even wanted to keep it) how would you keep those walls clean, not moldy (it's a bathroom) and how would you keep them dusted? I live in an old house and spiders come in in the fall. I can't even imagine trying to clean cobwebs from them.

Hildi is probably the most talented of all of them, but she just didnt want to. She probably was pissed at the show as Firebird said.

Guinivire drove me crazy. I didn't care for her designs, but she tried. So, I give credit. And her giggling drove me crazy.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Wasn't it Hildy who also put hay up on a homeowner's wall?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
yes and it took them 17 hours to wash it all off. but still better than the stapled on flowers that the owners had to rip out the drywall and put up new.

I have plaster walls with no cracks in an old house, I would never do this show because I would be afraid of what they would do with my walls and mouldings. I like the double plaster walls ( wood lathe, plaster, chicken wire and more plaster) and the sound proof. Having taken down the walls in one bathroom to make the room larger (6 inches wider with drywall and thinner tile), it was a major task hauling that stuff out, not something you want to ever have to do, so no trading spaces for me.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I have plaster and lath walls, too, and original, unpainted woodwork. You know they'd paint it! My house is a 1920's Sears Craftsman, so while I love the show, you'll never see me on it...lol

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm watching an old TS episode on TCL right now.

It's the Hildi staples a 1000 flowers in the bathroom episode!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Hindi spent $600 for the flowers.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
They are still showing the old shows. I do love Verns designs and was so hoping that Hildi would not be coming back. I feel like she just designs to try and be controversial and that is not the spirit of the show.

Page seems "off" to me in the commercials for the new shows, I can't put my finger on it, is it just because she is standing oddly, or her hair seems the wrong color to me. Anyway I will be interested to see what I think after the new show tonight.

Also I can't even imagine Ty as a designer but I saw the group on Rachael Ray and that is sort of how they presented him.

And I wonder if Amy Winn will be back as a carpenter. I was wondering whatever happened to her after watching some of the shows last night and today.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I just turned it back on. There is a new designer they got near the end of the show. I vaguely remember him, but I can't remember if he was any good or not. He's older than Doug but younger than Frank and he has his hair slicked back in a ponytail. I think he has a Texas accent. I think his name is Edward. Anyone remember him?