TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 18, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Home Improvement: HGTV - Remodeling and other Shows: Archive through August 18, 2017 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Chip and Joanna have a lawsuit on their hands. When you look at the timing of the partner buyout and the HGTV deal, it is very suspicious, to say the least.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fixer-uppers-chip-gaines-sued-by-former-partners-over-hgtv-deal-report/ar-BBAuBlu?li=BBnb7Kz

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 05, 2017 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
These Lakefront Bargain Hunt shows are pretty interesting. Amazing amount of lakes I have never even heard of and reasonably priced.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I know, Dipo. I am always fascinated by the show!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Has anyone caught the Cyrus v Cyrus decorating show? I can't put my finger on exactly what is wrong but it seemed like one big commercial to me.

I think the software they use actually did the designs rather than the two women, at least that was how it felt.

It was just odd. Anyway has anyone else seen it? Wondered what others thought.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Nate and Jeremiah by Design....I am cracking up and loving them trying to design this house with crazy colors! It is so funny, Nate trying to pick pink tiles, it is crazy.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, they really did make her a Barbie kitchen! And it is really cute.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I love this so and them so much!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I am watching HGTV while I wait for BB, and it is Love It or List It, which brings me to my question.

What is the appeal of the "all white" kitchen? I would think that it would be really easy for it become dirty. You would have to be washing the cabinets all the time, I would think.

I know I am always amazed at how grease/cooking manages to be everywhere when I am cleaning, Like the time I nearly died when I found all this greasy/dirty residue on top of my microwave, thank goodness for dawn.

Anyway, it is just that the white kitchens have been "sold" by designers? My kitchen is pecan wood cabinets, black appliances and black granite with gold/brown/gray kind of flecks, with sort of beigey backsplash. Quite pretty, I can't even imagine white, LOL.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I cannot abide an all white kitchen. I think they either are dirty or look dirty very easily. I also lived in too many apartments with white kitchens and then too many beige kitchens. I would, however, have a white kitchen over a gray kitchen. Absolutely hate this gray neutral trend. Who wants to live in a house that looks like a prison or any other institution?

I do not like the open floor plan either. "Great for entertaining". What about great for living? You and/or your family need spaces to live and have some time away from each other, some privacy, some rooms, not a big old space where all the smells and grease from the kitchen get on everything. People say, "I don't want to be in the kitchen when we have guests." Grow up and do things before your guests arrive. When entertaining, you are not going to be involved in every conversation so a bit of time in the kitchen is ok. Do as much as possible ahead of time. That is what we do and it works very well. We have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners down to an art. Doing it ahead of time also means most of the pots and pans have been washed and put away.

I'm waiting for the next trend to be adding back walls to make separate rooms.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Sugar, I have been wondering when the walls would start going back up myself.

I have seen a couple of shows where people said I don't want my guests to see my kitchen while I am prepping, or I like to have rooms with purpose. The living room is where you have conversations, the kitchen is where you cook, etc.

It was a breath of fresh air to hear. My house is sort of open concept but it is small so works and I am amazed at how easy it is to look messy. Thank goodness I have some separation between the kitchen and living room, I don't have to clean the kitchen immediately, LOL.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have never been able to comprehend the all-white kitchen either. They must be for people who cook using only a microwave or take-out! LOL

I do love the open floor plan, though. Our main room is 28x28 with our kitchen, living room, and dining room all open and surrounded by huge windows, two 8' sliders in one corner, and vaulted ceilings. Part of it is that our gatherings almost always revolve around the kitchen, so then I can chat and cook. The other issue, though, was from wanting to avoid the claustrophobic feeling that came from living in a single wide trailer for 7 years whilst saving money to build our house.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
The real reason for the open plan trend is that the total room size is smaller.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I have a friend who just remodeled her kitchen and it is all white - tile, cabinets, quartz countertops are light gray with white flecks. Even the refrigerator door is covered with white cabinet doors. It's beautiful, but I wouldn't want to have to clean it. Much prefer my beadboard oak cabinets, dark granite and black appliances.
Hubby is a contractor and was really opposed to white cabinets and stainless steel appliances due to how dirty they get.
I don't have an open concept home. The kitchen/dining room are open, separated by a peninsula and breakfast bar. There is a 6 foot doorway from the dining room into the living room and that room is 24x24. If I wanted the kitchen to open into the living room I'd lose a whole wall of cabinets and spot for the microwave.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Glad to know I am not just weird since I don't like white kitchens.

Teach and Snoops, your homes/kitchens sound fabulous.

I hate Stainless appliances just because they always seem dirty to me too, but the new ones that don't show prints might be ok. However I think the stainless adds 2-300 to the price.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I have always had a white/cream kitchen LOL i love how light bright it is. But my cabinets are painted wood not the pre-made white cabinets. I don't like those. I cook everydayy. I must not be messy cause it's just not that bad.
My house is older so we have room division but i did take down the wall between the kitchen in the den. I have an island with a bar stool height topper. That sort of hides the mess. LOL
The floor in my house is all hardwords and my granite is more of a speckled beige so the combo of the two probably take down the 'whiteness'.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I've had a white kitchen and loved it but the paint started peeling so for practicality purposes I choose stained kitchen cabinets. I'm with you Sugar on the grey trend, I'm over it. The new color trend is called Greige a mixture of beige and grey which sort of looks dirty to me. I work in model homes, I'm seeing some black kitchen cabinets, blues and greens. I have a couple of cats with some white fur and I'm sure their hair would stick to the black cabinets...so, NO!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We have red oak cabinets that my dad and I made...clear stain...so they are just a lovely golden color. We also have stainless steel appliances with black coffee maker, toaster, etc. Honestly - the stainless steel stuff always looks fine. Even when DS was in the teen years, they wiped off just like the counter - no special cleaner needed.

Tracybayarea

05-09-2011

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tracybayarea a private message Print Post    
My sister has a white kitchen and hates it. White cabinets with white tile with white grout. Needless to say it never really looks clean. The grout has darkened so it always looks like its dirty and stained. When they bought the house redoing the kitchen was in the plans but then money for the kids education was more important. Having seen her kitchen for so many years I knew what I wanted - darker cherry type stain cabinets with brown black beige and gold tone granite.

I also find that a lot of the new kitchens gave the glossy cabinets- when I see those I think IKEA or office cabinets - not something that helps create the heart of the home.

I also have found it refreshing when families come in on the show and don't want what everyone else wants

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
White kitchens are timeless though. Plus white kitchens can be made to look contemporary or farm house etc depending on accessories etc.
Your sis can use a grout paint. We had terribly stained grout on our tile floors when we bought our last house. We used powerful grout cleaners to no avail,but the grout paint worked like a charm.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I don't care for stainless appliances. They always make me think of McDonald's and I don't want my home to look like a fast food joint.

Kellsma

08-27-2002

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellsma a private message Print Post    
I just remodeled my kitchen and did all white shaker cabinets, white glass subway tile as backsplash, beautiful white marble and stainless appliances. I love it. It is such a classic design. Nothing trendy in it. I did not want a kitchen that dated itself. Just wipe down the cabinets!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Love my stainless applicances!!! Especially my french door, freezer on the bottom, double drawer freeer.....my heart sings!!!
I walked through the showroom putting my fingers all over the applicances for marks and my GE Profile ones don't show and are so easy to clean.
Just don't have the issues with white and stainless that people seem to have...pasta sauce and all! LOL

Tracybayarea

05-09-2011

Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tracybayarea a private message Print Post    
One of the trends that I see on the shows that I really like is the center island looking like a piece of furniture and having a different color than the cabinets. I think that's a great look and a great character to kitchen. I love watching the shows and getting ideas of what I could possibly do to my home to add more character and interest. Having said that I see in so many shows the same things being done so it becomes trendy to the point where everybody else has it. So I always try to find something new or something different that is it on everything but is enough to add something unique

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
In my previous house I made the mistake of updating the plain dark stained room doors with white paneled ones. It made the rooms more modern & brighter. But they showed fingerprints & the raised areas had to be vacuumed every week because of dust.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
any one entering the house contests on line? I jsut entered the DYO one,I want that house, I usually don't like where they are located, but this is on a lake and only about 4+ hours from here. I would sell my house and buy an apartment to be close to NYC and family and friends, and move into that house full time. Burlington Vermont.