TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 27, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Born This Way: Archive through June 27, 2017 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Has anyone else discovered this show? I am completely captivated by this wonderful program, which follows the lives of several amazing young adults with Downs Syndrome.

It kills me that their season was so short. The finale was yesterday. The way they wrapped it up, a 2nd season doesn't look likely. I remain hopeful though.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Downs Syndrome folks. They are the sweetest people on the planet, so caring and genuine. I am too old to adopt a child, but if I ever did, my preference would be for one of these kids.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Born this Way - proclaimed best new Reality Show of 2015. :-)

http://starcasm.net/archives/338687

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I watched it. Seemed to leave the door open for a second season.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I've missed that show...will have to watch it on "on demand" I'm hope it's available. Thanks for the heads up.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I really hope you are right Legal. Lil, you are in for a treat.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought it looked like there COULD be another season, but nothing was said about one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am happy to have these young people represent Orange County, where I live, than, say "real housewives".

Wendy1rn

06-06-2011

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wendy1rn a private message Print Post    
LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I have a 24 year old sister who is Downs Syndrome so of course this show rings personal for me but it is amazing and beautiful how real this "reality show" is. I am so happy they will be returning for a second season!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wendy, have they announce that! I would definitely watch it.

Did your sister watch? If she did what did she think?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yes! It's been renewed. Second season to air this summer. As per a few articles I read online. Posting from my cell phone right now so can't post a confirmation link.
I would also like to know your sister's opinion of this show Wendy.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I stumbled across this show just recently and really enjoyed the families portrayed in it. I'm going to have to look for the first few eps. I missed.

I'm glad Sean's friend put him in his place about his gf it was getting out of hand. Steven was pretty clear with him as well about how inappropriate he was being. I was also very impressed with Megan and how she handled her business meeting.

Wendy1rn

06-06-2011

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wendy1rn a private message Print Post    
Sea, I am just seeing this now! My 24 year old sister is not as high functioning as the downs on this show but she is still such an amazing human being. I did show her clips from the show on my phone (my parents don't have a TV) and she absolutely loved it. I am one of 15 children and I was visiting at my parents house and every time someone new walked in the room, she would come to me and ask me to show them the "downs syndrome show". She loved it and would giggle when watching it. She loved the kissing. It was hilarious. After watching Sean kiss that girl, she was obsessed with kissing and kept walking around and doing duck lips to everyone. It was very hysterical!! She is such a cutie and this show makes me BAWL my eyes out everytime I watch it. It is as close to reality tv as you can get!

Dillybean

08-14-2010

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dillybean a private message Print Post    
I loved this show. Glad it was renewed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me too!

Wendy, too bad your sister can't see all the shows!

Isn't it great that this show brings Down Syndrome out in a way that shows people leading their lives and being appreciated.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've been enjoying the season and am

SO excited for the cast! They won an Emmy! And they beat out Deadliest Catch, Intervention and Project Greenlight in the outstanding unstructured reality program category.

The Orange County Register featured them last week and again today after their win.

Rachel lives right in Fountain Valley, where I live and Sean and Steven share a house in Irvine, where I often drive patients and also volunteer with cats at the shelter. The other four live in LA County.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, November 07, 2016 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I just binged watched the second season over the weekend. (Nice escape from the election). I wasn't able to find the 1st season on on demand. I'll look for it elsewhere. Love Steven and Rachel. I so hope Rachel finds a boyfriend. She the sweetest person. I love the moms and dads too. Great that DS is being portrayed. Much like The little couple. It's a great venue to educate the public.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 07, 2016 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It's my favourite reality show. I adore Steven, and am thrilled that his romance has a chance and is blossoming. And yes, Rachel is such a sweetie with a heart of gold. I also appreciate how we are getting to see the parents joys and struggles.

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I know they don't want to highlight the "down" side of down syndrome but I didn't realize how many physical problems are associated with the syndrome.

I know they briefly touched on Rachel's prediabetic state & Megan's seizure but I didn't realize that those were necessarily syndrome related.

I am also confused on their limitations, I don't know if the parents are being overly protective or if some of the cast (like Megan) don't realize their limitations.

The parents shown seem so wonderfully supportive & I know it's hard for any parent to "let go" but to fully understand the syndrome, you've got to show the full story - the good and the bad.

Megan seems so independent & I get confused if her mother is limiting her or if she is overly confident in her abilities. I don't get the feeling that her mother limits her but it almost feels like that is how it's being portrayed.

I also think they almost do a disservice to support someone's dream of being a rap star with no other plan. Starting to look for a first job after 30 could cripple him for life. He could have a "main gig" & still pursue his rap star dreams on the week ends.

I know that most syndromes have a full spectrum of functionality but Steven doesn't appear to have any issues. Most of the other cast seem to have very few & I wonder if that is their high functioning ability or the glossing over of the story line. I guess the producers have to walk a fine line between reality & exploitation.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 19, 2017 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Some of them could easily be exploited, which is undoubtedly why the parents are involved in the show.

Issues can be physical and basic structurally.. Smaller mouth, larger tongue.. Harder to perform dental hygiene, yet, the lack of that can lead to cardiac problem s.

Individuals with Down syndrome are living longer, and thus there is more need for acquisition of life skills and for pkanning.

Independence is great, but the parents correctly sorry about them having children.. being able to care for them.

They are finding that there is a fairly high incidence of Alzheimer's and at earlier ages, so that is a huge area of concern.

I have been to a couple of presentation by Ira Lott, MD, who works in the area.. He loves his patients and I have been told that he is active with them at events and for fundraisers. I liked him very much. I also introduced him to this show.. And the second time I heard him speak, I asked and he had seen it.

And.. Just watched the first two episodes of season three...

http://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/about-down-syndrome/misconceptions-vs-reality/

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 4:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Who else is watching this season ?
The drama with love/relationships is heating up between Megan and Steven. He is very high functioning, smart with all the interests of a young man.His girlfriend Megan wants to be in love, is clingy,bless her heart.

Starr

07-09-2005

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
I think Megan watches too many romance movies. It often seems to me that she's re-enacting a scene from a chick- flick. In my dating years (decades ago) we would have called her "fast" (and pushy... and a drama queen...) Haha! I hate to see her heartbroken, but she needs to reign it in some.

I enjoy Stephen. He wants to date, good for him for having a voice and saying he needs space. She was far too clingy.

It's nice to see Elena a little more mature this season and not so quick to anger.

I hope Rachel gets an acting gig. Its funny to see her run lines with her brother & his husband.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Megan seems a bit bent on some sort of revenge towards Steven. I agree with Starr, in that Megan was far too clingy. Her mom was right to worry about her. Didn't they only go on a few dates? I am so glad I'm not in my 20's and dating.

It is nice to see Elana be calmer.
I like Steven, he seems sweet and more mature than most of the others.
Sean drives me crazy, he strikes me as being quite immature and not always in tune with reality. To be fair, I think that is not uncommon with a lot of people in their 20's.
Rachel has been adorable.
I rather admire Christina, she is really going towards independence. She struggles and is brave.
Poor John, his dad was/is a bit of a jerk.

I like most of the parents, especially Bea and Marino.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 3:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
When the series started they were age 22-32..Megan is the youngest and Rachel the oldest... Steven is two years older then Megan but he definitely comes across as more "mature" because he has the rare form of Mosaic Down Syndrome so less developmental delay and usually 10-30 points higher in IQ.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 4:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks Legal for the info on Steven,I assumed there had to be a spectrum of some sort as he is bright. I am just glad that he is not allowing himself to be pulled into Megan's'world".He has to do what makes him comfortable and if we put ourselves in the place of his parents we would understand.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
i actually saw Megan and Steven as typical 20-somethings. One is looking for a deeper relationship and the other is like, whoa this is too much, too fast.

and yes, Sean annoys me SOO much - but we all have those kinds of high maintenance people at some points in our lives, right? :-)