TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 15, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Bake Off Series Five: Archive through August 15, 2016 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Now "bayzill" is just silly, I give you no excuses for that one ;) ;).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I see that we have a show here in half a hour.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Well Kitt, it's all your fault ;-). I went to YouTube to watch UK season 1, and 2. Couldn't find 1, so started episode 1 "season 2". And got all the way to the semi. And no more! I was able to find the winner because there was a "reunion" type show, which was interesting.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh no! I just had a look for you and I can't find it either. I guess the copyright police got to it. That was such a good season, some of the contestants were so sweet, and there's just such a caring vibe to the whole thing. Definitely my favourite season.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I watch the season that is now on PBS on Sunday nights. It's so much fun to see what they are making. I boil my eggs for lunch or eat store bought cookies while watching.... sometimes, I think I should bake more.... then, I realize that it's cheaper and faster to buy my baked goods at Safeway...

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Oh. I was not happy with this season finale!

I've felt Ruby's youth and inexperience were going to get the best of her. Often others would use the machines and Ruby would reply she didn't have it to practice so this is how I make it. So with the showstopper a wedding cake I was afraid Ruby didn't have a chance - but Paul was cruel in his judging. imho

When they got to France's. Hers looked amateurish to me, it wasn't even, flowers were weird. And they didn't say anything!

Oh well.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, Ruby's cake is not good, it doesn't eve really look like a wedding cake, it is quite dull looking. Paul was kind of mean about how she had over baked her cakes.

Frances...Are those little people on the cake? All it is supposed to be confetti, not flowers, I was wondering.

Finally when I saw Kimberly's cake from a distance it was the one I liked the best. I liked the love on top, and the quilted top layer was pretty cool. She has been the one I thought should win all along.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
And the winner is.......Francis. hmmmm, I guess her decorations were the most impressive.

But I thought that Kimberly had done better throughout the contest. Do they only judge based on the last contest?

Oh, well, they all seem to have learned a lot and seem to have had a good time.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I was not at all happy with the results this time. I don't think it fair to judge the entire season by one last cake.

Frances' results through the entire series were that she didn't season anything well enough. Kimberly was almost always middle of the pack. Ruby won star baker 3 times and while she had a few epic fails for the most part was in the top of the pack.

Ruby really deserved to win. I think they need to revamp their judging and have the final win based upon the entire series, not the last cake.

As for those last cakes...NONE looked like a wedding cake, to me, at least not one I'd order for a wedding! They were all uneven, not centered, poorly decorated, very sloppy...and the flavors!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with any of the cakes.

The last day, Ruby won a first in pastry, Kimberly won a first for pretzels and I guess they felt Frances won the first for wedding cake, it was pretty evenly divided.

I would have prefered that Kimberly won, but I think it was a hard choice.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I don't think they just judged on the last cake, but that the last cake was heavily weighted. Ruby's last cake was sad, just sad, Not really like a wedding cake. I do believe that Francis's flavors improved over the season, a lot of the flavor comments with a scattering later were in the beginning.

I was surprised considering how some cakes looked previously, but I felt that a lot of the cakes this year looked very amateur, which these people are, but still. There were show stopper cakes that looked better on earlier shows.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they tried to spin a tale about most improved for Frances, because I think everyone thought Kimberly should have won. Poor Ruby had a really bad week.

p.s. I just started a thread for The Great Holiday Baking Show, it's a mini GBBO with Mary Berry judging!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 12:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Bake Off fans, there are four special charity UK celebrity episodes airing starting this week for four weeks. The title of the show is "Great Sport Relief Bake Off," in case anyone wants to hunt it out.

Paul and Mary still judge but there's a different comedian as host each week.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
What night is it airing in the UK? I'll definitely dig it up, but it usually takes 24 hours or so.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't see it on Time Warner anywhere.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's Wednesdays in the UK, Season 3 Episode 1 was this last Wednesday.

Sea, it's only on the internet in the normal naughty places, nowhere on tv unfortunately.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kitt. I can usually access it through BBC online.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
New series starts on August 24. Mark your calendars and on your mark. Get set. Bake!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
BBC version, Tishala? YAY!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I finally saw the semi's and taped the finals last night, can't wait to see who wins. But, it is swimming Olympics tonight. So maybe tomorrow I can watch my tape.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 3:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I won't spoil it for you Dipo but this is the first final I can remember where I was truly impressed with all three final showstoppers. Maybe not the most flamboyant but store worthy and the judges raved about the taste and quality of bake. I agreed with their choice and can't wait for the next series to start!!

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 4:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I really really enjoyed the finale. The winner was well deserved. Fabulous ending.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That's sweet, but I don't mind spoilers at all. I had some sort of weird brain where I seem to forget what I read when I start watching, LOL.

So talk away and name the winner, isn't a problem for me.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Nadia wins!!!!! I am happy with that. All of them had amazing showstopper cakes.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
}Loved that they all had successful Showstopper bakes. Congrats to Nadia.