TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Biggest Loser - Where are they Now?

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Weight Loss/Self Improvement: Biggest Loser - Where are they Now? users admin

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Friday, April 22, 2016 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Just a way to help keep tabs on the contestants after they leave the ranch and their season is over. Lack of accountability rears it's ugly head.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Friday, April 22, 2016 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
First up, Ali Vincent, Season 5, the first woman to win.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/biggest-loser-season-5-winner-171455218.html?ref=gs

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, April 22, 2016 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Wow - I always thought of her as one who was able to maintain it. Just shows how hard of a struggle it is when real life is factored in.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 22, 2016 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
She had a show on Ion a few years back. She was clearly struggling with her weight then too. Had gained about 40 lbs. Being so small framed, is hard to keep up the weight loss.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Another perspective about the physical/psychological issues, and the aftermath.
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2016/05/the-lasting-damage-of-biggest-loser.html

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
And another.... this seems to be a hot topic these days.

I know that I have to lose weight very, very slowly. Otherwise, I just gain it right back.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-the-biggest-loser-their-bodies-fought-to-regain-weight/ar-BBsw8le?li=BBnb7KB

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow these articles are eye opening. That last one is fascinating if true and depressing for anyone trying to lose weight. Of course (IMO anyway), there is so much wrong with the way The Biggest Loser works, I wouldn't even know where to start. It's a terrible method for weight loss.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Based on the last article, it seems that there really isn't an answer if you gain weight or have trouble losing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I wish that last article had some control groups of people who lost the weight more slowly, to see what difference that makes.

But I have to agree that your body does seem to work toward a "set point" which is an old theory of weight that for some reason got discarded long ago. And that set point seems to keep going up and up.

I also think that what's missing is some analysis of how bad most of our food sources are these days.

For example, I've dropped 15 pounds the last 3 months, just by eating *cleaner* and not really cutting calories.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't count calories but I definitely eat cleaner than I used to and it is still hard to keep off the weight I lost but I have not shot up. Started losing in late 2012 and the last couple years have been trying to maintain the loss.

Being active helps a lot.

Biggest Loser seems to have them in the gym as a full time job!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, the thing for me about eating cleaner is that almost all my cravings are gone.. unless I'm shy on sleep, then I'm a lost cause.

By cleaner, I mean, no processed foods, no non-organic foods, only grass-fed proteins. Almost no grains, except maybe at lunch.

Makes a big difference.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When I got my 9 week old pup in June '11, I was so stressed about him that over the first few months I lost 25 lbs. Kept it off for few years. Now we're very relaxed together. I haven't been on scale lately. Put 5 lbs on I'm thinkin'. Jeans are getting snug. Oh no.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh well, I'm not THAT clean and I couldn't even get all organic everything, and with some items organic really isn't so necessary, but I do my best.. nothing packaged, much cleaner than I was eating several years ago, for sure. But that is what I said.. cleaner than I used to. And I'm still down 48 of the 50 pounds and much more active than I was in 2012, even though I'm that much older.

But BL seems to include coffee and protein powers and whatever their sponsors push during a season and of course,drastic workouts. They ARE coming from situations that are more critical in terms of their health, in most cases.

And then some of them are thrust into the limelight as role models, when they just got to a lower weight in a short time.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
One thing that study seems to suggest is it's next to impossible to lose weight fast and maintain the weight loss. The slower metabolism and increased hunger is very disturbing. It sounds like these contestants have been through a terrible ordeal. What a shame.

I wonder why there hasn't been more scientific study of obesity and weight loss? There's consensus among scientists on other issues but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus regarding weight loss.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
There was a Doctor on CNN yesterday that has been doing a major study on weight loss and how you lose the weight. There is a lot involved with how you lose weight, fast or slowly, metabolism, hormones and weight loss surgery. People who have had the surgery have a better chance of keeping the weight off.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I fear that there is more money to be made when people have to keep going back to weight loss, keep paying weight watchers .. and of course so many programs these days seem to be geared to sell products. Clothing, supplements, gadgets, water bottles..

Curves.. I've gone online and read about all the unrest since Curves was sold to the owner of Jenny Craig! After years of being told that prepackages, processed food was NOT the way to go, suddenly the owners were being told to push Jenny Craig products.

When they included Jillian Michaels workouts, they got new purple machines.. nothing wrong with the machines but they had to ditch the jogging platforms they previously had which were in between machines that were very sturdy, and friendly for jogging, because the Jillian routines sometimes needed the person to be on the floor, so they had to buy these purple pads that have NOT worn well at all.. total junk and falling apart and definitely not as good for jogging.. the owner of my Curves will have to replace them all at her own expense.

But someone is making money, for sure.

Oprah being part owner of Weight Watchers.. or all the other celebrity spokespeople.. hasn't seemed to work permanently for most of them, but they do make some money.

BL of course has so much product placement and it is amusing, sort of, that each year what they are forced to recommend is different..

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
https://www.yahoo.com/news/biggest-loser-winner-ali-vincent-151249788.html

Biggest Loser Winner Ali Vincent on Her Struggles After Regaining 112 Lbs.: ‘I Feel Ashamed’

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Losing weight is very hard. Keeping the weight off afterwards is just as hard.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Keeping the weight off while living your ordinary life (and not on a ranch where you have limited food and nothing to do but exercise) is even harder.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Yup.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I hope Oprah and TD Jakes (and I suspect Dr Phil will be involved) get her some real help.. as in therapy// instead of just exploiting her in interviews.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Maintaining the weight loss after losing weight using the extreme methods employed on The Biggest Loser is close to impossible. A few of them have done it, but so many of them gain it back.

I think Tara Costa has kept her weight down and there is another woman who has done well but I can't think of her name.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
TD Jakes apparently now is going to have his own talk show.

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
‘Biggest Loser’ Host Bob Harper Unconscious For Two Days After Heart Attack

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/biggest-loser-coach-bob-harper-unconscious-for-two-days-after-heart-attack_us_58b46dede4b0780bac2c1b9d

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I read this earlier today... If BOB HARPER can suffer a major heart attack... what hope is there for the rest of us??? He did mention in the article I read that his mother died from a heart attack so he says it's genetic... But still!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that's sad and also disturbing. Hard to imagine.

When that happens they often talk about lifestyle changes and it's hard to think of what he could do in that respect. Maybe less stress and air travel?

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I have no genetic heart disease in my family, and I'm not yet 50...and look at what I'm going through...it's really quite depressing.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Perhaps if he was not so healthy, he would have had a heart attack a decade ago and not survived it. Can't always stop genetics but slow it down, push it off a few years.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
How true Rissa... the article I read didn't say how old his mother was when she died. I also read the only exercise his doctor has him on is walking. Maybe this also explains why, in the early days of The Biggest Loser Bob was really zen and incorporated a LOT of yoga into his team's workouts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: