TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 07, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: The Little Couple: Archive through March 07, 2016 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Tmagic, that would "walking the walk" as I said above. :-)

Jimmer, in your example, I suppose there could be some understanding, but it's not at the same level of *experiencing* it yourself. Which is a whole 'nuther level of understanding.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Parents aren't just biological. Raising a child is being a parent. My simple thought that unless you are a parent (I should have said or raised/raising a child) you aren't aware of the intricacies involved.

My husband is a professional musician. When my daughter started playing piano at age 4 there was no way he was going to be her teacher. In later years they jammed together and she learned new techniques from him. And occasionally will join him and the band on stage. Other parents may feel differently about the "teacher" aspect for music or other extra curricular activities.

When my son was of driving age he took it at school but he needed a certain amount of hours on the road with an adult. I did it once or maybe twice and knew it wasn't a healthy thing for our relationship so I farmed those hours out to a professional...my husband wasn't interested in doing it either.

So parents parent differently but still unless you are a parent or raising a child you really don't know what you don't know.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
Oh, well, I raised two stepchildren, so I guess I'm qualified to comment after all. <99>

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Depends what kind of step parent you were and what your step kids think of you LOL....being funny. I'm sure you weren't the mean stereotype monster and that your steps like to be around you.

On a serious note I'm surprised you don't have more admiration for Jen and Bill since you may have had a taste of what it takes to raise children. especially the point where moms go through a phase of introducing their daughters to things they enjoy....like Jen and the tea parties...which you have stated you have issues with.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I thought Zoey was adorable doing the Bollywood dance.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I hate the 'if you aren't a parent, you can't know' statements! I still get asked if I know my kids "real" mom and my kids are 26 and 22. If I am not their "real" mom, I don't know who is!!!

I usually say 'yes, I do. And then start describing my self and wait for them to catch on. LOL

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Hi 5 to Texannie! You ARE their REAL mom!

Hey, I taught many children how to swim as a certified life guard. I paid for swimming lessons for my children just to guarantee that they "got it"! We spent a lot of time at lakes & I enjoyed not having to worry too much about them, because they had me & they had other training! Piece of mind was worth the small cost of the swimming lessons. I actually witnessed some of the lessons, & my kids were more responsive to learning from the "teacher" than they ever were to me.......

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm not a parent but have to say that while my mother played piano beautifully, she still sent us around the block to a piano teacher.. whole different dynamic. And when my mom bit the bullet in her 50s and learned to drive she and Dad thankfully knew enough that he would drive her stark raving mad and she hired a really patient driving instructor.

Dad didn't teach us to swim, we took some lessons and then I went to swimming lessons through Girl Scouts. And so it went.

When I was learning to drive my mom taught me and we had our problems but other than the fact that she was a fairly new driver, she was the best for me. (Driver's training behind the wheel was in the summer, and I didn't even have a learner's permit so I couldn't practice and we had to use cars with standard transmission, so by the time I got my permit and started learning with automatic trans, not much carried over from driver training). My dad was an excellent driver and I learned theory and such that I still remember, but when I had to drive on vacations the two of them were so opposite it made me crazy. She'd be wanting to slow down, he'd want me to gun it and pass that car ahead! and I hated his gigantic cars and favored Mom's Falcon.

Parents can then be cheerleaders a bit more than if they are also teachers.

Not saying I didn't learn from my parents. Mom taught me (and well) how to iron (even dad's dress shirts) and sew, how to knit, how to sing harmony, to love reading and both were good examples in so many ways.

I'd venture a guess that Jen won't be giving the kids their shots. Some things you just want associated with someone other than parent.

As for Will trying the Indian dances.. I think in the end it is good for each of them to be familiar with things from the others country of origin. I do see a point, if one of them wants something for only them, of considering separate classes. That may happen when they are a bit older.

I'm not sure what other families have to do with this one.. there are a bunch with reality shows and we each get to pick which to watch. I certainly don't care what freebies any of them get, but this is the thread for The Little Couple, so I post about them here. I don't follow the logic of because I like this family, that means I'm criticizing another family.
Mame, I think Zoey is super bright, and she is a girl and they also seem to mature relatively faster in many ways.

And I still haven't been able to watch the latest show.. but the previews look cute. Interesting that they danced to the same music at Bill and Jenn's second wedding. Maybe Bill hired the same people back then to teach his "flash mob" group.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
Obviously, for a serious piano lesson, you would enlist the aid of an actual piano teacher. This wasn't that, but it did give the Vivaldi School of Music a plug. As for admiring Bill and Jen, I don't admire any parent -- bio, step, or adoptive -- who exploits small children on TV. It will be interesting to see if they adopt a third, as the teasers are suggesting. I fully expected them to, but only when Will and Zoey were no longer young and cute enough to keep their ratings up.

Also, this was Dan's second appearance on the show and, as we learned with Kate and Aunt Jodie, regulars are paid by TLC for their appearances. I wonder if they will step in to take the place of Judy and Dave in helping to carry/change the kids, etc.? Except for one or two dinner parties in the early, pre-parenthood years, we've never seen Jen and Bill socialize with other couples.

Connies

03-11-2010

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
They started their show way before children ever came on the scene so I don't feel the children are being exploited at all. I think they do the majority of the child care themselves with the exception of help when they are working. I don't believe they leaned on her parents that much once her health recovered. I am sure they were a tremendous help while she was going through chemo. I have seen them socialize with couples in their home a few times, people she worked with etc. that are friends. That isn't really what the show is about, it is about their family and that is what I enjoy the most.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I doubt seriously that jenn went through all the egg retrieval process, shots ect to try to conceive for ratings. Not to mention the incredibly invasive, time consuming, expensive process of adoption. This couple wanted to be parents period.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Frankly, what is obvious to you just isn't to me. Different strokes and all. I will continue to enjoy the show and the family as long as they are allowed to share.

I was talking about Jen's simulations to my doctor today and how they were able to modify the design before building thanks to the simulations. He hasn't watched but one of his staff was in the room, drawing blood while he was working on my back and she said her mom loves the show but when she goes over her mom talks about it the whole time. Like me, she loves the kids. And loves how Jen uses her step stool when she works.

Zoey was really cute doing the dancing. She was faking it some of the time but being her first lesson she did really well and kept moving.

And agree with Annie, no way did Jen go through all she went through to have kids just for tv purposes. They were following their real life. Abundantly clear to me.

And yeah, I think all those people at their second wedding were actual family and friends, not a bunch of attention seeking actors or wannabes.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Friday, March 04, 2016 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Kid Sis & I totally LOVE this show, first show we watch when it appears on our TIVO that night. Always leaves us with a smile.

<99>

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Friday, March 04, 2016 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
With all the garbage on tv today, it is so nice to see a family who loves each other and works together as much as they do. It is a show that always makes me happy while watching it. Those kiddies are just the cutest and have come a very long way from when they first entered Jen and Bill's family. <77>

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Friday, March 04, 2016 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I will "ditto" what Countrydaze just said!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Double ditto :-)

06-29-2002

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Reminder: People with different opinions are allowed to post at TVCH. It is a discussion board. Please discuss the show, not each other. Thank you. :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I have the last 8 shows piled up on my DVR and can't stir up the interest to watch them. I can come here to see if there is any drama which is more interesting to me than just watching the kids. Sorry.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I'm with you Ophiliasgrandma. Each week I mark that they are on, but can't make myself watch. The kids have progressed over time and are at times very cute, other times they are catered to and a tad bratty. I have trouble watching Jen interact with the kids, her attitude and manner are not natural, rather forced. Her forced laugh really bothers me. Bill acts more like a natural father.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
sorry Moderator. I did not mean any disrespect. I just enjoy watching the kids, they are so cute. For me it's just a feel good show.

Connies

03-11-2010

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
They said early early on that Jen was nervous being on TV and I think she still is today. Can you imagine interacting with your children and having it filmed, whether they are bad or good? I agree Countrydaze with everything you said. All the other shows on TV are all about drama, this is a wonderful break away from that.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Jen is an excellent role model for the human race. We need more Jen's in this world.

Connies

03-11-2010

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
Amen Lilfair

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I agree Lilfair

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have a friend who is a pediatric oncologist and sometimes Jen reminds me of her. It seems to me that people who have to deal with terminally ill children sometimes have to learn to keep a certain "distance" from them emotionally - and that reserve sometimes spills over into their interactions with their own children. I know my friend loves her children deeply but at times it seems her husband has a closer bond with them. Recently both her 5-year old and 2-year old were diagnosed as autistic...so sad.