TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 02, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: The Little Couple: Archive through March 02, 2016 users admin

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Any child who has a mom that introduces fun activities to their daughter that they enjoyed themselves as a child.....well that's how it's done. Maybe that's just something that comes natural to a parent and some non parents don't really get It, yet.

I know that with my daughter I introduced her to things I liked. Of course when she got older she branched out and became interested in her own things. But to this day she still remembers all the fun stuff we did together.

And Zoey is no shrinking violet if she didn't like horses she'd let people know. If she didn't like tea parties she wouldn't participate.

Not that I think it's accurate that Jen somehow wants to look more like Zoey in coloring and hair. But that would be thoughtful. Always trying to make Zoey' more comfortable. Very loving.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I can relate to jenn in a way. My kids are adopted. I went through a period when my daughter was around 4 or 5..probably because she was now in preschool and i was getting a lot of comments how she didn't look like me (my kids are US adoptions so it's not patently obvious that they are adopted). I was coloring my hair to match hers, trying to interest her in things that I really enjoyed...I guess trying to make her a mini me so that we would have the same connection that other moms/daughters had. It's funny, I never went through that with my son, who is older, maybe it's because he had my coloring, maybe because we got him when he was 4 days old and we got our daughter when she was 5 months old or maybe it was because he was a boy. I don't know. I just know it seemed harder to connect with her around that age. That phase didn't last long. Maybe Jenn is going though that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was sweet of you, Annie.

I know my parents were super big on us getting experiences they weren't able to have as kids, because neither of their families could afford extras and also the times were different. So we got lessons, not forced to continue them but to try and my brother was good at most sports, while I wasn't so he enjoyed that stuff more. My mom made sure to always have books around and had a stash of books that would magically appear if I had a cold or had to stay home and I love books to this day.

Of course when I was growing up, kids didn't go to as many sports or classes as kids seem to now, and most moms didn't work and didn't drive, so we stayed closer to home often.

But we did get swimming lessons and my friend Diane and I went to ballet/tap for 6 weeks or more but neither of us was really into that so we were allowed to stop. Had piano lessons, because my mom played very well, her mom did, my aunt did and my dad regretted never learning. And Mom got roped into being a girl scout co leader and a co den mother for cubs and that was because WE wanted to do those things. I got to go to camp because I wanted to, I think.. at least after the first year.

My brother was the horse lover and he had a large collection of horse things..

Zoey certainly seems pretty horse obsessed to me.

And if they ever did get a horse, or lessons, actually with the kids having skeletal dysplasia the right riding program could be a huge boon to their core strength and balance.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Looks like it will be a fun show tonight!!!

Jennifer Arnold, MD ‏@JenArnoldMD · 25m25 minutes ago
#CutenessAlert! Will and Zoey are adorable doing their Bollywood dance moves!... http://fb.me/4qWBYIyEh

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Jennifer Arnold, MD ‏@JenArnoldMD · 27s27 seconds ago

Zoey was so excited to try her first piano lesson! #LittleCouple

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
YAY.. later tonight for me..

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
Zoey is adorable, there is no question, but why was Will allowed to intrude on her dance lesson? No doubt to appeal to the Will fans and increase ratings; two cute kids are better than one in that respect! Anyone keeping track of all the Houston businesses/attractions that get free advertising on this show? Celebrity Cupcakes??? If Jen took piano lessons for three years, I'm not sure why she couldn't have given the kids that introductory lesson in the comped hotel room with the grand piano in New Orleans, but why do something yourself when you can pay someone else? Again, I feel increasingly like I'm watching "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" here. Bring back the Johnstons and Hammills; that's REAL reality TV, in my opinion.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
They and/or the producers certainly do a GREAT JOB of coming up with fun and interesting things for tbe kids and the entire family to do. I would EXPECT tbat most things are comped or deeply discounted including events like those dance ans piano classes. That's normal business practices for TV and film industry and there is NOTHING wrong with that. There is no way that the entire Duggar clan could normally EVER afford all those round the world trips otherwise. That's where one has to remember the business part of show business. While these things ARE perks for the various families on tbese reality shows, it IS a show, and therefore fun and educational events are planned for the VIEWER'S pleasure. Unless they take the kids into a drug den to teach them how to roll a doobie, or a gun show to purchase the kids an actual working fire-arm, etc, I think we needen't fret about the various events or perks involved in the making of tbese shows and just enjoy them. Also, changing the channel is always an option.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sorry for typos. Posting from my cell phone. Tiny keyboard and pecking with one finger.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
Telling critics to "change the channel" isn't helpful. I have my reasons for watching just as you do. As I've said, I'm more of a thinker than a feeler, so my reasons may differ -- I watch not to "feel good" <77> but more to "figure it out" -- but I have every right to watch AND to question, I think. For instance, why is Kate Gosselin criticized for taking comped vacations with her kids while it's more than ok for the Kleins to take freebies? Again, I'm just trying to understand why the exact same TLC formula is condemned in one case and lauded in the other. It's very odd. Can anyone explain that contradiction?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well I agree that Kate shouldn't be slammed for her comps either. As I said, comps are part of tbe business.

Professional critics have to watch and report on programs, whether they enjoy them or not, they don't have much choice. Unlike regular viewers who can watch whatever they please and have the option of changing the channel.

I am glad if folks find that these shows are food for thought as well as entertainment.

06-29-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
A reminder. TVCH has a very strict policy of keeping discussions about the *shows* and *celebrities* and not about other posters.

Comments about what other posters do, shouldn't do, think or don't think are not appropriate here.

Please keep that in mind while posting here!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
These are TV shows to entertain. Of course they are going to go do things, go places, have experiences that we'd have to pay for, but they don't because either the show picks up the cost or the place gives them a cut rate due to the free TV advertising they receive. This is TV, for entertainment.

As a parent, I can say that teaching my child to do something involves that whole parent-child dynamic and doesn't always go so well. Kids resist instruction from a parent that they will gladly take from a teacher. That's why we put them in swim lessons or music lessons even though we have the skills ourselves. Just makes for a much more pleasant experience for all!

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Speaking as a parent I would never have given my daughter piano lessons myself as the teacher. But if you are not a parent you wouldn't understand.

I don't get the sense that Jen and Bill do this show for the comps....far from it. They don't need the money.

For anyone that watches reality TV you know that the adventures outside of the home is a staple.

As adorable as Will is, his parents don't often reign him in when it comes to butting into Zoey's projects but that is somewhat typical too in families. This will change as the kids get older.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Will was delicious from the get-go. But I can't help but completely admire how much Bill and Jenn have patiently and lovingly transformed that initially sour (IMHO YMMV), skittish little girl into the most adorable, self-possessed child on the freaking planet. Way to go Mom & Dad! :-)

I have to add that I think it's downright hilarious that Zoey was terrified of Santa for 2 years, but got an immediate crush on Dr. Vampire. That just cracks me up every time I think about it. (I'm glad she got over her Santa phobia.)

I am in love with Will's smile and Zoey dimples!

Also, am I right in thinking that Zoey seems REALLY super-bright for her age? Speaking as a non-parent I admit to being clueless regarding childhood norms.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
"But if you are not a parent you wouldn't understand."

Actually, I'm capable of understanding quite a bit without being a parent. Thanks, though!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My daughter has already picked out her daughter's name. And she's only 18 and a Hugh school senior. Maybe she will forget by the time that happens - hopefully many years from now!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, my daughter had Carrie and Austin picked out when she was a teen because of Days of Our Lives. Now that she's pregnant, many, many years later, they are not even in the equation!

I did pick my kids names out long before I was even married. When I was young, I loved Beth in Little Women and said that I would name my daughter Elizabeth. And she is. After watching Kramer vs. Kramer, I fell in love with little Justin Henry and said I was going to have a son named Justin and I do. So I don't know what that makes me :P

Connies

03-11-2010

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
I am keeping my opinions to myself except to say I LOVE this show, Love the Kleins, and loved the way Zoey got into dancing. Actually a lot of times when the class is technically over, siblings can get in on the action so to speak. Looking forward to next weeks show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Those are lovely names Mamie! I also loved the names Beth AND AMY from Little Women. I had a doll as a kid which I named Amy.

Would love for someone to answer my genuine question about Zoey's intelligence. To me, she grasps thing very quickly and seems EXTREMELY clever for her age. Or is she a typical kid for her age?

As well, I find Will utterly charming and good-natured and that should carry him a long way in life.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
~~Actually, I'm capable of understanding quite a bit without being a parent. Thanks, though!~~

Tell that again when you are a parent. LOL There was no slight meant- just a fact that if you are not a parent you really can't understand the intricacies that go along with raising your child/ren. There is nothing wrong with not being a parent- when/if you are a parent you'll get it then. And of course nothing wrong with not being a parent not everyone is so inclined.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to agree with Lilfair. Saying you know what it's like to be a parent, when you are not a parent, is liking saying you know how to win chess, even if you've never played.

Unless you have had significant education in child raising, I'd have to agree, people don't really get it until they've walked the walk.

Tmagicsaq

03-26-2004

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tmagicsaq a private message Print Post    
I am not a parent but I raised my niece so yeah.. I know what it is like being a parent without being a parent.
I love Jen and Bill and I wish I could have given my niece all of that. I would have if I could.
That doesn't mean I don't think those children shouldn't have it or that Bill and Jen should not give it to them because others can not do it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You raised someone, Tmagicsaq, so you have parental experience.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
But if you are not a parent you wouldn't understand.

That's a fairly sweeping statement. Some parents are more clueless about raising children than some non-parents. :-)

Of course, a person can't know what it is like to be a parent without raising someone and I think differently now than I did before I became a parent. But that is different from the above.

With respect to the piano lessons, for example, I've been teaching my DD how to drive. No problem. But I can understand how it could be a problem for some parents and children. Then again, I could understand that as well before I became a parent.