TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 24, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: The Little Couple: Archive through February 24, 2016 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
They're human, just like you and I. I just don't think anyone else here finds much to criticize about them. We have found a lot to admire. Most of us find them refreshing and fun.

I'm sure a lot of people told her there was no way she's ever become a doctor. I'm sure road blocks and heaps of discouragement and head shaking went on in that regard. But somehow she decided not to listen to the nay sayers. That right there give me a lot to admire. I don't care if she can't pull a dislocated hip back into place. She has a level of determination to make things happen for herself. Good for her.

06-29-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Please feel free to disagree about the people in the TV Show. You are not free to interrogate or complain about other people who have opinions who differ from your own.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Are we sure she can't do CPR on an adult? She's very accomplished in her field. Don't short change people with disabilities....they'll surprise you. Don't make assumptions of people with physical disabilities.

http://www.people.com/article/little-couple-jennifer-arnold-no-longer-seeing-patients

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Jennifer_Arnold/
credentials

"It's this work-life balance that's very hard for anyone, and I think having gone through what I've gone through has made me re-evaluate," she says. "I just took a big step down from clinical and am no longer seeing patients."

Awards & Distinctions

Awards

Patients' Choice 5th Anniversary Award (2012 - 2013)

Patients' Choice Award (2008 - 2014)

Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010 - 2013)

Top 10 Doctor - Metro Area (2014)
Greater Houston
Pediatrician

Top 10 Doctor - City (2014)
Houston, TX
Pediatrician

On-Time Doctor Award (2009, 2014 - 2015)

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Jennifer_Arnold/
credentials#ixzz411hcg4rf

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
I never said she wasn't an actual doctor or even a good doctor in the theoretical sense, but I'm pretty sure she's more of a consulting doctor than a hands-on doctor. Hence the tiny preemies (of which there are plenty in Houston) and now SIM Center. What's wrong with that? Nothing...

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
And the other Dr's(full statured)in her field that do the same work (except aren't the lead)...well you'd have the same thoughts on them? I don't really understand what your issue is with her field of work? I get the sense that you aren't impressed with the work she does, am I correct in my assessment?

Tmagicsaq

03-26-2004

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tmagicsaq a private message Print Post    
I would think that the work she does with the tiny preemies is overwhelmingly difficult and emotionally draining. I for one could not do it.. (never mind the schooling it takes)
I have also not adopted two children, built a house that would not be a death trap for my family or beaten cancer.
I think Jen is one of the strongest women I have seen and she is a great inspiration to me.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Lilfair, for taking the time to source her credentials. Beyond impressive!

Both their personalities are such a great combo. Do I think that when the cameras are off they yell at their kids and each other some times? You betcha! But that only makes them more human and I am happy that they are mindful with the cameras around to be as instructive, and upbeat as possible. I would do the same thing. Personally I swear like a sailor at times, but would aim to never be caught dead uttering those words on camera. It wouldn't be appropriate, especially for a family show.

ETA. I find them to be very honest in sharing their lives with viewers. With cameras around all day I'm sure that it's exhausting and nerve-wracking. (I don't give a fiddler's fart that they are paid. They SHOULD be!) When she was going through her cancer and he was going through his back surgery, they were amazingly honest and inspiring.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Fiddlers Fart....giggle. Never heard that before. I can't wait to use it....maybe this weekend on my daughter who is always embarrassed by my sayings and she hates anything related to farts. Thanks Mame!! xoxo

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I like the show in small doses. They can be a little annoying because they are so "perfect". Also, the kids while hilarious, can be bratty. Bill grates on my nerves a wee bit when he goes on and on about "my son" or "he takes after me", etc.

Also, the holidays appear staged.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
In my opinion, they have zero control over those two kids, and it's only going to get worse without the sensible grandparents around. But that just makes it all the more entertaining! It's not that I'm not impressed with her career/work, but I feel that in everything they do, they strive to appear more perfect than they really are. I prefer more "real" reality TV shows, warts and all. There's a lot they just physically can't do (including controlling contrary kids), and I would enjoy the show more if they were just honest about it and "educated" us as to how things truly go down in that house rather than creating the impression that they can function entirely without help.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Truthfully I wasn't interested in the show until they started looking into adoption. But I've been hooked ever since. :-)

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I feel invigorated after watching them. Like anything is possible. I've always been a positive person the cup is always running over (rose colored glasses and all) but after watching their show I'm all gang busters enthusiactic....no limits. Thank you Bill and Jen.

Tmagicsaq

03-26-2004

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tmagicsaq a private message Print Post    
yes, I see what you are saying and yes the show would be more interesting if we saw some of the more not so perfect moments. Only time will tell how they get along without the grandparents around. I feel that any parent(s) would or could struggle with being first time parents to not one but 2 young children. Like all parents I would hope they would grow with the kids. live and learn! I wish them all the best.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Okay, have to say something. First of all, when it comes to CPR, you would be shocked to know how many doctors do not perform CPR, especially doctors who do not work in a hospital setting on a regular basis. Yes, they have their certificate, they passed the class, but that doesn't mean they are proficient at it, or that they use it very often. Most CPR in hospitals is performed by nurses. If I go down, I would definitely want a nurse or ER doctor over any other doctor in the hospital to perform it on me!

She works in a NICU. The fact that she needs a step stool in no way takes away from the type of medicine that is practiced in that unit. I can't think of anything related to her stature/physical ability that would inhibit the work that she does. SIM is a great way to provide medical education, with the ability to actually prepare medical staff with a myriad of situations that can happen in a medical setting, and allowing staff to "practice" without doing any harm to actual patients.

My rant is over.

Connies

03-11-2010

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
Just because they are not physically big and strong they can't control their kids???? Come on.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't consider Bill to have quit working. Being owner of a business is a big responsibility.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, I love that Will picked the skull and crossbones, LOL. And Zoe was so proud, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
"Let's go knock over a liquor store", hahahahahahaha.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
As for Bill's job, the pet store was a joint business venture with Dave (who is also a businessman), and it was hardly ever a full-time occupation, which is fine if you can afford that. They certainly are in no way hurting for money!

It's not because they're not "big and strong" that they can't control the kids; after all, look at the Roloffs, where Matt and Amy are obviously the authority figures in a home with three (big) average-sized kids. But, for whatever reason -- their lack of parenting skills, chiefly -- they don't seem to have control over the kids. Just my opinion.

Jen has often expressed her desire to have a regular TV gig (long before this show). I wonder if appearing on Jeopardy will become a regular thing? She's also taken a turn on "The Doctors," but that didn't seem to go anywhere. I was not surprised to see her dye her hair dark in keeping with the whole "Zoey is a mini-me" hairdo/clothes theme.

The kids didn't seem too upset to see her leave and wanted their presents as soon as she walked in the door! As for "Mr. Mom," please. Bill is more than capable of both cooking and dressing the kids without Jen there to prevent chaos. Dad is the primary caregiver. But he often covers for Jen and gives her undue credit. A good husband!

Lest anyone think me a Klein critic through and through, I loved this couple before they started down the parenthood track with first the endless flights to LA for pricey egg retrieval and then the two adoptions. I thought they had the ideal childless marriage and a real love affair there and that Jen, at least, wasn't really suited to motherhood, yet that item was on Jen's bucket list of amazing accomplishments. "Mommy club."

Are the kids better off now? Of course. But I do think they're spoiling and not disciplining them. Yes, we don't see everything, but everyone knows that discipline shouldn't have "exceptions" for filming if it's to be effective. It's not just a TV show -- it's two childrens' development.

I've found Jen much less likable since, and now the show seems scripted and fake. That said, the kids are HILARIOUS, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sketcher that's a great post. Thanks for sharing a fair assessment of the show from your point of view. I especially appreciate you explaining WHY you feel the way you do about it. Although I find it funny that I fell in love with that couple at the same time you became disenchanted. For me, honestly, I found the show boring and was not a viewer UNTIL they began the adoption process.Lol. My first full ep was when they were being show photos of Will.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
I agree that it's actually a better show with the kids (although I don't think it should be any kid's "job" to boost ratings), but I miss the couple they used to be. Bill is truly natural, although too lenient, but Jen just seems awkward, desperate, and inept in the role of parent, and it's uncomfortable to watch. Again, just my opinion.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I especially like how enthusiastic will was making the pizza and how sweet and polite he was fetching the spoon.

The globe interaction was nice to see. Again the kids are very enthusiastic.

The kids are very sweet. Will packing the bag for Zoey was a very mature big brother thing to do.

Zoey telling Bill she loved him was heart melting.

These kids have come so far. Very inspiring. The kids are fortunate to have such a loving and devoted mommy and daddy.

Whenever I travel (when my kids were young) the most important thing to them was their present I brought home for them....actually it still is. ;)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Do you have kids Sketcher? Of course answering is optional. I'm just wondering if being a parent shifts how people view this family.

Sketcher

02-17-2016

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sketcher a private message Print Post    
I don't happen to, but I'm not sure that it makes any difference in how I view reality TV shows with kids. With most, including the little people families, I don't have any problem with how they're raised, but I've always gotten the sense that Bill and Jen are out of their element here and Jen, especially, is guided by a combination of fear (after all, Will is nearly Jen's size and probably outweighs her), narcissism (it was very clear that she had dreams of a mini-me even before we ever heard of Zoey), and orphanage-fueled overindulgence. I also strongly suspect that the nannies and grandparents do the bulk of the actual childcare when they're not filming, and I wish they'd just be upfront about that as I've said before. Maybe Kate will write a tell-all.