TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 23, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: Archive through December 23, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I would gently say that just because someone might have a different interpretation, short of just saying nothing, they kind of ARE ignorant in many areas..

as is using ignorant to mean easily angered.

If a word can have many meanings then I try to interpret the use of it in the most pure or benign way rather than assuming the most pejorative meaning was intended.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sea, I really have no idea what you are saying in your first paragraph. I read it several times and still don't understand.

I don't know anyone who uses ignorant to mean "easily angered." So, I guess if you are using it that way, I'd have no clue what you meant.

People can use any words they want. I'm just pointing out that when a word has such varied meanings, that *I* don't like to use it, because I like people to understand what I'm saying, and I don't want it to be misinterpreted.

That's all. :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 6:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Kar, I wonder just how many arguments and probably wars have been started by misinterpretation?

Sea, I too do not understand your first paragraph, but the last one was spot on and kind.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
OG - I"m sure many. And many discussion board "wars" as well...

I guess I"m not as kind as Sea. I would prefer to just say I don't know what you meant, rather than assume it either way. That seems more realistic.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Ah, our difference is what is so special about each of us. I've finally gotten old enough to understand that my way isn't the only 'right' way to do something.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Me too, OG. We all have to find the ways of living and approaching issues that give us personal peace. I used to think there was no right way of doing *anything*, but I've come to realize that while that is true for many, maybe most, situations, it's not true in all situations.

Some hills I would die on, as the saying goes. But it has to be quite important.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I've never had a "my way or the highway" point of view. I love shows that show me different life styles & ways of thinking. I view it mostly as educational.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I've always found that if I am comfortable with my decisions and my beliefs then I didn't have to defend them to anyone. I just have to live them.

I also love learning about everyone's lives - how we are all uniquely different and yet can have so much in common.

Marej

09-19-2002

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marej a private message Print Post    
Is Joshua still in "rehab"?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I thought that Anna handled it all very well. She was well-spoken. My heart goes out to her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think I am kind or unkind, but I don't see the point in assuming that because some people define a word in a much worse way than the original definition that someone who uses the word must mean it in the worse way. Now of course if tone of voice or other context makes it crystal clear that they mean the most derogatory definition, I don't feel kindly towards them either.

As for Anna or any of them handling things well.. they are also modelling for the younger women that they should be doormats and "obey" the men, no matter what they do. I guess that could be considered good and obedient but I certainly don't see that as a good thing for those who look up to them.

I don't see being saintly or a martyr as a good roll model. My ex husband's second wife qualifies there and his sisters do call her "Saint Vicki" because she relieves them of any responsibility for him, but they don't say that as a positive thing for her..

On the other hand, my cousin's widow believes in past lives, karma and that she and her children have lived many lives together and that Dennis was put into this life to test her.. and test her he did! So.. maybe that is what is going on for Anna and may she have other lives Duggar free!

I haven't seen anything about if Josh is currently in rehab or where he is. Would be interesting to know, I guess.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't think I am kind or unkind, but I don't see the point in assuming that because some people define a word in a much worse way than the original definition that someone who uses the word must mean it in the worse way.

I agree. But I also don't think it warrants assuming that they meant it in the best way either. That was my point. That's why my choice is to presume I don't know which way they meant it, and possibly to ask them to clarify their meaning, if I think that's appropriate.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I pray only the best for Anna's future…whatever that may be.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I found it boring also. what was the point? The younger girls come across as very ignorant. Not their fault, I know.

The girls come across as unsophisticated and unworldly.

The show was boring and, to me, appears to be nothing but propaganda to extend the family's "15 minutes of fame".

I don't wish the girls ill. They have put their life out there for the public to comment. The fact that I call them ignorant has nothing to do with their views on religion, homosexuality or whether they prefer smooth or crunchy peanut butter. It is simply an opinion that I formulated after watching the first episode of "Counting On" and a few minutes of the second episode. They are very attractive young women and their hearts purport to be in the right place. My opinion is simply that they come across as ignorant. I don't know if this is only the public persona that each demonstrates, if it is not, then they are better actresses than I give them credit for being.

My two cents, which are entirely meaningless, as is this comment, is that I don't care for the entertainment value that they are offering.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I'm just not curious about or interested at all in this family anymore. I haven't even tried to watch the 2nd show & prob won't because the 1st show bored me so. I don't see this show being much of a success.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I couldn't bring myself to watch either. Of course the parents have the right to raise their kids however they see fit. But when the poop repeatedly hits the fan with their No. 1 son, and much of society (including me) goes bat poop crazy over No. 1's hypocrisy...well it's all too much. At least I don't think we'll be hearing robo calls in the near future...gotta keep a lower profile these days.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Lol Lilfair! Glad I don't lie in a battleground state. Robo calls are sooooo annoying.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Lil, I'm with you. I have no interest in watching any of the Duggar family on tv anymore......whether it's the girls, boys or parents. Other than money, I don't see why they want to put their lives out to the public anymore. In my mind, they have no other means of supporting themselves!
I stopped watching them a few years ago - I felt they were in a cult and I had no interest what they said or did.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Why did you watch them in the first place and what about them changed to make you stop watching?

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I watched the first week but as everyone said...it was too boring for words.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/jill-jessa-duggar-counting-on-married-by-mom-and-030455893.html

Muffin

08-29-2007

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I watched for more than a few years, and then around the time that Josie was born, I realized that their house of 18 kids ran so smoothly, that not having Michelle around really didn't make a difference. Michelle basically just got pregnant yearly, breastfed her kids, and then started the process all over again, while her older daughters became the mother in that household. That house ran smoothly because the girls did everything for her - they cooked, cleaned, took care of all the children and took care of homeschooling them.
No one ever complained in that household, they obeyed their parents to a fault. I really felt as if those kids were in a cult!!!
Every show was the same - no one objected to anything, they sounded like their parents. They had no mind of their own.
I got tired of watching them. They appeared to be the perfect family, and no one is perfect or has the perfect family.
When the truth of the Duggars came out last May, I wasn't really surprised. They have the same issues and even worse problems than a lot of other families, they were simply acting for the cameras. I don't like being duped.
I have never seen Michelle raise her voice above a whisper. Those kids have no privacy, they aren't allowed to think for themselves. They are bigots, and were trying to force themselves into politics to get the public to follow them and their ideas.
Jimmer, I have stopped watching many shows that I watched in the past. But none have angered me as much as the Duggars.
Without their show they probably couldn't feed their family. They bragged that they have no debts, yet they don't even pay property taxes on that huge home because they had it declared as a Church. They made their money off of a realty show! They travelled to places far and wide, through the show. With 19 kids living under one roof, the parents had time to write books and do speaking engagements. They did all this while lying to their obsessed viewers!
Jill and her husband have a ministry and asked for donations. Has anyone seen where their donations have gone. I'm sure Jill and Derrick used that money to travel back and forth to come back for weddings. They are following the same route as their parents, making money off the public.
I do read about them often. Not sure why i do! I guess I'm just waiting to see how the other kids in that family turn out.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
This article was very interesting and very sad, about growing up in a big family.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/06/how-being-an-older-sibling-in-a-big-family-is-like-being-a-polygamous-sister-wife.html

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Fascinating article. Thanks Rupertbear :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for your response, Muffin. I can sense the disillusionment you feel about the show.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Mame. :-)