TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 05, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Bake Off Series Five: Archive through September 05, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If you were watching the last season, search videos for "Great British Bake Off s05e10" and you should find something. The "Baking Show" part of the name was only what PBS called it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The Great British Bake Off is on our PBS station on Monday nights, and it looks like the finale is on tomorrow.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Teach, I think original air in the U.S. is Sunday nights. Airs again Monday. I've been watching the season. Finale was tonight. The winner is . . . .

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
My PBS channel calls it The Great British Baking Show, watching it now.

Ahhh, the extra half hour becomes clear, we are having fund raisers break into the show, I hate that, put them at the end!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
At least PBS has adapted to the DVR age..used to be you would see a great show, on PBS, set it up to record on the VCR but they'd just throw the printed schedule out the door and you'd never get a complete show.

This was riddled with pleas for money but at least we got the entire show.

It did air here tonight.

I would have been happy with any of them winning.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
True, Seamonkey, LOL, we did get the whole show. And I thought it was great. It was fun to see all the families waiting for the results.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes.. loved seeing the families though it was odd that they showed them first, out in the sun and all on the lawn, then showed them baking with pouring rain until the last day when there was the sun and people on the lawn..

Pdxtransplant

07-09-2010

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pdxtransplant a private message Print Post    
Such a delightful, fun, and informative show! And such a contrast to typical american gimmicky, conflict driven shows. This one was pure class and just outstanding.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Our PBS must be on a different schedule because it's only been on Monday nights all along here...I've watched this series before online, but I LOVE re-watching it for all the reasons you've listed above. Looking forward to the finale tonight. :-)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Those final bakes must have looked better in person than what they did on TV.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I truly enjoyed this season. They baked many things I'd never heard of before and many things I was doubtful would taste good (but then they eat baked beans on toast for supper!) It brought home to me how differently we eat in the US as compared to other parts of the world.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I usually had popcorn while watching them bake amazing things. The most I can do is bake a cake, as long as I have the recipe on the back of the box to follow.

Based on some of the comments, I was wondering if they get told what they are going to bake the week prior. Many times there were comments like, 'it took me 2 days when I practiced it'. Seriously, they could not come up with some of those creations at the last minute.

I do like the judge, Mary (?). She's no nonsense with a smile on her face. She can cut down what you baked to shreds and still make you feel good about what you did... the frosting was creamy, but the rest of the cake was inedible. Love her.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They never broadcast it here, but they did put it on Comcast On Demand, so I got to watch it last night. It was a great finale!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They film at the weekends, and are told the prior weekend the theme of the next week and what they need to create for the first and third challenges. The middle challenge is the one where everyone has to make the same one, and it's almost always from one of Mary Berry's books (not that that hones it down much, she has a lot of books!) so if they are familiar with her specialities and know the style of the week they can often practice the types of recipe it's most likely to be.

Plus in general they know there's always a bread week, a cake week, a cookie week etc., so they can practice those for however long they want, in anticipation of when the week happens on the show.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That is so weird Karuuna, what crazy programming person televised all but the finale!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't know. All I know is that they carried a "200 years of Lawrence Welk" in that time slot. Really?

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I watched some of the bios from the website, and I wondered if they weren't given some "hints or tips" because they got to bring some of their "things' (food, spices, and that display step stool...)

and don't forget "that male judge" (i.e. Paul) He also had a couple of recipes they had to make -

who would've thought baking using the griddle was using an electric ovens "broiler" unit (or at least that's what I was assuming!)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 7:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
If anyone is interested, this is airing again on WNED, PBS out of NY.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just got the latest newsletter from Paul Hollywood (known here as 'that male judge') lol and he says they are back in the tents recording the new season. Yah!!!

Ps if anyone is interested... his website is paulhollywood.com and the newsletter also has an interview with the latest winner (Nancy Birtwhistle)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
New series of the Bake Off starts next Wednesday in the UK. No official outlet here until PBS take it on a bit later, but (hopefully) it will be available at the usual sources.

Here're some pics and bios of the cast!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/great-british-bake-off/11765535/The-Great-British-Bake-Off-2015-contestants-in-pictures.html?frame=3388875

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
That was one of the best baking competitions I have ever watched.
Their skills were really amazing.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the update, Kitt! Hola routes through the UK, so I can usually use IBBC player. I'd have never known to look, though. :-)

Ladyb

12-29-2007

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladyb a private message Print Post    
Check your listings - New season starts Sunday, Sept 6, 7:00 pm ET

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Did you know that the 'hostess' (for lack of a better word) Sue Perkins has had Brain Cancer?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219019/Bake-s-Sue-Perkins-reveals-brain-tumour.html

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I had no idea. She's one of my favourite people.

I found the premiere LadyB mentioned, it's on PBS and is Season 2 of the Great British Bake Off. Absolutely EVERY season of this show has been fantastic, and season 2 had some really great people on it, so I really recommend it. Might rewatch it myself actually, thanks for letting us know it was on, Ladyb.