TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 01, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 01, 2015 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This is how the WASC defines college:

College – a term with multiple meanings in U.S. usage: 1. historically, a small, undergraduate liberal arts institution; 2. a generic term, sometimes used as a synonym for university, to denote any postsecondary educational institution, including universities; 3. a grouping of related disciplines within a university, e.g., College of Engineering.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Just some misc info: Joe is a student at Crown College of the Bible in Tenn. I do not think this is an accredited college. I have read some of their very strict rules such as no physical contact between members of the opposite sex, girls must not ride in cars with boys unless they have permission from the school admin., and other ridiculously controlling rules for adults.

I think I read on TLC's Duggar website or the Duggars' own website that some of the older Duggar kids have done online college classes using a program called College Plus.

Non married adult Duggar kids would never be allowed by Jim Bob and Michelle to attend a regular college or university. Even with a chaperone. I don't have a link to them saying that, but if you read enough about them, you will realize there is no way. Those kids and adult unmarried kids are incredibly sheltered. They do not want them exposed to many things and ideas. Things like critical thinking. Things that may make them doubt what JimBob and Michelle have brainwashed them into thinking all their lives.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Re college/univ, the University of CA is split into several different campuses located throughout the state. The UCSD campus is made up of 6 different colleges. They all have somewhat unique philosophies. Each student can major in whatever they want no matter what their college is. UC Berkeley has different colleges too such as the College of Letters and Sciences and the College of Engineering. If you are an engineering major there, you are in the college of engineering. If you are an engineering major at UCSD, you can be in any UCSD college.

just sayin'

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whether they choose to go to college (university) or not is a different issue to me.

The statement that I am disputing is that they could not qualify to be accepted if they did apply. I don't see any evidence for the "truth" of that statement. We don't have transcripts of their grades, we don't have results of the standardized tests they took, we don't have SAT scores (I assume they didn't take them), there is simply no concrete evidence that they could not get accepted. It's not *truth*, it's an opinion and one without much evidence.

I'm not here to dispute their religious views or personal views. I think there can be honest criticism on those grounds. It's all speculation, and there are some things I find troubling about their views as well.

But I am bothered when I see things like it is just the *truth* that they couldn't get accepted into a university, when there is no real evidence for that.

Do I think they would ever apply? Highly unlikely. But that's not the issue I was debating.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I know. :-)

I wanted to say one more thing, and it's re Community College. Here in CA, many students choose to go to CC for the first 2 years because of many different reasons. The UCs here have become very hard to get into. There is a guarantee that if you meet the requirements (such as min. gpa) at a public CA CC, you will be able to transfer to a UC to graduate. (I do not think that means the UC campus of your choosing, but a UC, however, I am not completely certain of that. Although I am certain about the guarantee for a UC.) You may have a 4.0 upon hs grad and still not be accepted at a UC, particularly the most selective of them. Also, it saves a whole lot of money to take CC classes before transferring.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I recall reading that the Duggars take standardized tests, I may have even posted it up thread maybe even with a link. However, just taking the tests don't mean they would qualify to get into college/univ. They could take the tests and miss every question.

I agree with you Kar, we just don't know and it's all speculation. Some speculation stated as fact/even though we don't know. Perhaps even stated as fact by me at times. :-) Perhaps. :-)

There is a difference between wild speculation and educated guessing though based on things shown on their show and resources that are and/or used to be listed on their website. It is my opinion that the Duggar kids are most likely very low scoring on the academics.

I still very much worry about all 19 and the grandchildren. I do not think the Duggar parents have or are preparing any of their kids to have a successful or happy future. I thought that even before the Josh scandal. And their handling of the situation then and now worry me more than ever.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They could take the tests and miss every question.

The tests are given and monitored by the State. If they were failing those tests, they wouldn't allow them to continue to homeschool. In addition, their high school curriculum ends with taking, and *passing* the GED tests. Those aren't that easy either!

In addition, they take online college courses to continue their education, and frankly online courses require commitment, strong reading and comprehension ability and show a love of learning that wouldn't come from kids who fail tests.

I see them as quite articulate, even if I don't agree with their point of view. So I see ZERO evidence that they not good at academics. In fact, 2 of the young women studied to be midwives as I recall. So, we have midwives, one in college, one studying to be a pilot, a former political operative, a photographer, two musicians and a firefighter (also studying emergency first aid).

What a bunch of dummies....

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Being monitored by the state is a piece of good news.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, and the GED test is voluntary, but all of them have taken the tests and obtained their GEDs.

And GED tests have a section on science, too. :-)

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
My daughter had some medical problems in high school. Nothing that would prevent her from attending but she was teased mercilessly not only by other students, but by the teachers too. We had many meetings, I had to threaten her dentist with a lawsuit to get him to stop making fun of something she could not control. She dropped out rather than becoming a truant.

One day she decided she wanted to go to college so she signed up and passed the GED without studying AT ALL. She said it was easy. She hardly attended school for three years and never studied for the test. She did go on to a community college, graduated as a vet tech. Since then she changed careers and teaches special ed. If anyone wants to get an education, they can. But if they are told all their lives that they have to follow a very narrow path, they might not even know what they might be missing.

BTW, I started college at 45 and had a Master's by 51. I had been told I was stupid all my life, but once I divorced him, I realized that I was smart enough to get rid of him, so gave it a whirl. lol

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I"m glad your daughter is so smart. However, I work with many young people who have to study and struggle to pass the GED.

And again, the point is not whether they want to go to a college/university, but whether they *could* qualify. And your post only makes it more clear that they could if they wanted to. :-)

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
And again, the point is not whether they want to go to a college/university, but whether they *could* qualify. And your post only makes it more clear that they could if they wanted to. :-)

And my question is how can they want something they don't know exists? Or they know it exists but believe that it can only lead to evil. If they have faith in their parents, there is no way they'd even attempt to go anywhere but Bible college where their parents beliefs would be enforced.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Okay, you can have that point. Although I'm sure they know colleges and universities exist.

But it was never my argument, and I don't care to debate it. My point was that it was invalid to say that they couldn't possibly qualify academically to attend such a university.

And I still see no evidence that statement is accurate.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
As was probably expected after the scandal broke, TLC has cancelled the show...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3a898afcf879420
ebad63d290a45b317/ap-exclusive-tlc-cancels-19-kids-and-counting

Dahli

11-27-2000

Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
Took them long enough to cancel this creepfest

Kspepr

06-27-2011

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kspepr a private message Print Post    
Has Anna had the baby yet? I tried looking but can't find anything but it could just be me

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
She had a little girl, Meredith Grace. 7lbs 14ozs, 20-1/2" long, born today.

Kspepr

06-27-2011

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kspepr a private message Print Post    
Thank you! Guess I wasn't patient enough to wait a bit lol

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Twitter is probably the first place for news like that.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
The girls are not midwives. Certified midwives are RNs, with bachelor degrees, who take additional training to be certified as midwives. Midwives are highly trained medical professionals because both the mother's and the baby's life can depend upon the midwife's expertise. The Duggar girls trained to be doulas, with miminal training. They offer reassurance and emotional support.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 5:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Jill is a professional midwife and went to school for years to get her certificate. Here is an article from two years ago about how and what she did. She's delivered lots of babies.

It look like Janna was going to take the assistant midwife/doula route.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/jill-jana-duggar-midwifery/

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I am almost certain that either Jill herself or Michelle referred to Jill as a student midwife in a fairly recent tv appearance. Maybe during one of the last episodes of the program. I think it was shortly before or just after the baby's birth. She and Derrick and baby are now out of the country doing mission work. I doubt she had time to complete her education between the birth of their baby and their departure.

There are different types of midwives. Jill was studying to be CPM, the least educated of the three types.
http://www.midwife.org

There are several states that do not allow CPMs to legally practice midwifery.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Looks like the family is in need of donations. Not sure of the accuracy of this article.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/58053/20150729/19-kids-counting-duggars-broke-asking-fans-cash-youtube-channel.htm

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I don't believe they're losing $25M a year because the show was cancelled. I read many years ago that Kate & John plus 8 made $75K per episode. Even if they got paid a lot more it just doesn't add up to $25M.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
They've made a fortune, so now maybe they have to get jobs like the rest of us, but no, they'd rather ask for donations to keep them in the style to which they've become accustomed. Nice, if you can make it work.