TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Return to Amish: Archive through June 09, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 12:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Anyone else watching? Centered mostly in Pennsylvania with Abe and Rebecca, his brother and Chapel, who has cancer again and she and Abe's brother are engaged (he seems still shifty.. as in he took an antique quilt from the attic to barter for her ring.. but it wasn't HIS quilt), Katie Anne, Mary and Chester (he actually talks!), plus Kate, and I'm blanking on the other two even though I just watched tonight. Kate still in NY and Mary and Katie Anne visited her at the worst time when she got to model for fashion week, but they had a great time. The girl who used to be Mennonite had her baby girl tonight, and Jeremiah has gone into business with Mary!! Rebecca had her second baby earler in the season. Unlucky for her she still got Amish treatment, so home birth and no epidural while the other girl was pretty happy that she got an epidural in a hospital.

Granjan

05-10-2011

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 12:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granjan a private message Print Post    
I watch it. I think it's interesting to see how they live. The countryside is beautiful.

Pam2uall

10-25-2006

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pam2uall a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I thought he said his grandmother gave him that quilt. Either way, I was shocked that he planned on hocking, and ended up trading, it for a ring. I can't help believing the shop owner came out ahead in that trade. I feel so sorry for Chapel. I sincerely hope he will do right by her. Rebecca gets on my last nerve. I think she is correct in her analysis much of the time, but there is just something about her presentation/delivery that rubs me the wrong way.

I don't really understand what is going on with Mary, her husband, and the Amish. They are shunned, go to the church to get back in, and yet the cameras and sound crew is going the entire time. I am glad we get to see some of the inside scoop, but I don't understand what Mary and Abe are doing. It upsets me that any group, or person, can get away with coercing a parent into not associating with their own child. I think it may be a way to make the child repent and return to the church. If people are forced to do these things, I can't help wondering how loyal, deep in their hearts, they are to the church that forced a way of life on them.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think for Chester, while he is shunned, he doesn't get work from Amish. And he and Mary still hope Katie Ann will stay Amish, but with both son's gone English, that splits up the family and keeps Mary away from her grandbabies.

Well if the quilt was his, it is still sad, as you say, but at least not a crime.. and he wanted a ring for Chapel.

Chapel seems to forget how he has been in the past, and NOT there for anyone when he was in prison.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I am watching.

"Mother Schmucker's" for the store name made me laugh.

My grandmother's maiden name was Smucker (just a variant of Schmucker) and I get to have it as my middle name! lol

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hey, maybe you could get a discount!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But from previews Mary is telling Chapel that because they might go back or be taken back, they won't be attending the wedding.. which does seem inconsistent with her having a store with a shunned person.. Not to mention the cameras, of course.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am also watching. I'm confused as to how Mary and Chester have camera's in their home and allowed the audio inside the service.

I don't know what Andy's been up to, but I hope they are just rumors, because Chapel needs a partner, not someone hanging out in bars.

I guess Abe and Rebecca have their reasons, but they seem so harsh. Rebecca is so angry.

And Mary and Chester won't go to the wedding...

They all confuse me....

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
At least Mary said she will let her kids come to the house even though she is not supposed to.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc...yes, that should be interesting to see if the church shuns them again because of that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think Abe and Rebecca have only known harsh. That is how they were raised because of being Amish.

Mary is full of contradictions and I'm sure she feels pulled all different ways. She really doesn't believe that Sabrina, Kate and Jeremiah aren't all bad, though they've had their differences and even Rebecca, she can see the good sides too. Her sons are her sons, but Andy has certainly been troubled and causing of troubles. Then there is the new grandbaby with Abe and Rebecca and it seems like Rebecca's first child is loved by the family as well.

Meanwhile the church puts guilt trips on them and she really hopes Katie Ann won't stray, even though Mary was the one to take Katie Ann into the English environment.

In the first season, everyone in the family was just a blob when Abe went there, now they are major players in this version of the show.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, July 07, 2014 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Sometimes I like Mary and sometimes I don't.

She went to the baby shower even though the Amish don't have baby showers.

Now she will not go to the wedding even though the Amish would allow it.

Is getting back in the church worth doing that!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
What a great finale!

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I was so happy to see Chester show up at the wedding. I don't understand that a parent has to shun their own child if they leave the Amish. Mary won't hear of that, I am glad.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think Chester loved Mary enough to want to please her.

I had a big smile on my face when he walked up. Mary knew all along he was more soft hearted than he let on.

Andy going for his white shirt was scary. They made it look like he had an accident. I like the way his friend gave him a too large suit as a joke.

What a beautiful bride. I hope she has a long life ahead of her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a super finale.. also happy that Mary and then even Chester chose to come to the wedding.

I had tears.

This whole season has been good and made me like everyone better.

I hope that was just a camera and not a cameraman subjected to that crazy driving to get the shirt.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have started watching this show again.

This time they are from Ohio.

Matt certainly stands out as the biggest loser. (He has a pregnant wife and tells everybody he is single. That comes back to bite him!)

Why don't the Amish know there is more than one meaning to the word 'English.'

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm sure they know but they don't care.. in their language, they know what it means.

Glad you posted.. I had to swap out my DVR, finally and then try to set up all my shows.. had missed this one.

The show is interesting, but seems to exploit the idea of rumspringa.. just to have a group of young people experience the "English" world doesn't mean plopping them down in Brooklyn or NYC. I liked the Escape from Alaska set up better.. the various Alaska natives were in San Diego and lived in a hostel but the environment wasn't hostile.. Nuala stayed in that area, another of the young women went home to her fiancé and they settled in I think Portland. Others went back, but one of the guys hopes to return back to the lower 48. I didn't like the part where they lied to their families, but all the families were pretty understanding.

Anyway.. yes, Matt definitely, from the episodes I've seen is the BL. And it seems beyond Rumspringa when anyone with a child leaved the child behind, but it has happened each season.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Sea, I meant that in the restaurant they didn't know English food is different from American food.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ahh.. and it is! I have missed at least one episode during the transition to the new DVR, maybe two.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, October 13, 2014 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This is the Return to Amish thread but it looks like everyone is talking about Breaking Amish....which is further down the page:

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/156/10738297.html&lm=1380690806

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, October 13, 2014 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
My fault!!!! Thank you

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 4:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Did anybody watch this show last night?

What happened to the mother, Mary?

Eroica

07-28-2005

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eroica a private message Print Post    
Mary collapsed on the kitchen floor. Heard one of the production crew say they called 911. She was complaining of not being able to breathe. Emt's took her to the hospital. No prognosis at the end of the show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The show is called Return to Amish.. watching it right now. Mary, Chester, Abe, Rebecca, etc..