TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 04, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 04, 2015 users admin

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Maybe it will DETER young men from doing what he did if he is prosecuted. Or maybe they will seek help if they know it is a punishable offence.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, it's long been shown that the threat of prosecution/jail time deters almost nothing. :-)

As for seeking help if they know it's punishable? That just doesn't happen. Sorry, but that's not how young minds operate. If they know it's punishable, they won't seek help.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I don't see this family as having high morals or even close to having high morals as I see morality.

Morals are a tricky thing.

From the dictionary- morals are principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct.

Obviously my morality is way different than the Duggar's.

It's tricky when morality comes into question.

But there is no ambiguity when it comes to sexual abuse or the white wash of sexual abuse.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I watched the interview. It seemed their primary focus was to defend Josh. The parents did not talk much about the victims. Even when the interviewer tried to steer them back to speaking about the victims. It really appears that they care about Josh much more than the victims.

Contrary to what the interviewer and the parents (or maybe it was just Jim Bob) stated, is quite possible that no laws were broken when the records were released. I'm sure we will all find out eventually whether the police reports were released illegally. It seems several attorneys have reviewed the statute re Freedom of Information Act and case law, and that those records were not illegally released.

It may have been illegal to not comply with the Freedom of Info Act Request.

I wonder if Josh had been arrested if then the records would have been sealed and not subject to the Freedom of Info Act. Possibly by dealing with the situation at first "in house", JB and Michelle created the opportunity for this scandal to become public right now.

I think the parents dug the whole family into a deeper hole by doing the interview. They clearly do not get it. Any aspect of it. I think they made things worse by doing that interview, damaged their brand even more. There are so many things wrong with how they raised/are raising their children. They have damaged all 19 so very much.

From what Michelle said in the interview, some of the safeguards to protect the girls from Josh were to not let them sit on the laps of older males except their dad and other such nonsense. As if all males are just child molesters waiting for an opportunity! These parents just sicken me. Anyway, we have seen those little girls being held and carried by their older brothers, including Josh, since the molestation happened.

Their contradictions, lying by omission, and outright lying make it hard to believe anything they say.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to agree that they seemed reluctant to talk about the girls. However, we don't know why. Perhaps the young women asked them not to speak about them.

I do think they should not have done the interview. Frankly, none of this is the business of the public, as I have said before. Josh came out, said it was true, apologized, and it should have been done at that point.

Fox and everyone else is just using them for ratings. As they are using their notoriety for making money.

And if teaching kids not to sit on the laps of older males is a bad thing... well, guilty. So now you can crucify me.

The fact is that in teenagers, hormones happen. And the things hormones make you feel happen. There is a time for avoiding a very human, natural response to contact.

I don't understand the need to demonize things that are in fact, biology. We need to teach people that biology happens and it's not evil, it's what you DO about the feelings that matters.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Is there anyone here who was a fan of the Duggars and watched the show on a regular basis but will no longer follow this family now that this news has become public?

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I as never a fan but I did watch the show fairly often. Sorta keeping an eye on them. I knew almost instinctively from the first time I saw them that they were a family ripe for this sort of thing....incest or other sex type indiscretions or money issues like funneling money into their own pockets that were deemed to go elsewhere- like a good cause. So my feelings haven't changed just proven right.

Josh is their golden boy and it is of no surprise that the 4 sisters and the babysitter were not the parents main focus of concern, as we witnessed from the "interview" last night.

The girls will talk for themselves Friday night. And I'm betting that the boogieman will be those who released and wanted to see the documents that give account of Josh's molestation. Josh will now become the victim that the family rallies around.

Aurora

11-24-2006

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Aurora a private message Print Post    
Happymom said: I watched the interview. It seemed their primary focus was to defend Josh. The parents did not talk much about the victims. Even when the interviewer tried to steer them back to speaking about the victims. It really appears that they care about Josh much more than the victims.

Yes, this. In fact, when Kelly directly asked them a question about the girls, JimBob's reply was that they're so proud or some such thing that Josh came to them and told them what he'd done. You know, that "bad choice" thing they kept talking about.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
We don't have cable, so I only saw a few shows, and I'm no fan of the Duggars. However, I do feel sorry for Josh. What was it in that hot house of make-believe we're always, always happy, that led to his behaviour? He wasn't born a paedophile or a child molester, so something triggered this prurient behaviour. Was it a sense of superiority given to him because he was a male? Was it making all sexual behaviour so taboo that it became enticing? Was it neglect? Of course we don't know, but in an ideal world the Duggars would do some self-examination and maybe be of help to others. It could even be of help to Josh. They've revealed everything else, including a birth on a toilet, so why not? Yeah, I know, ain't happening. Those poor girls were trapped, and they deserve honest answers, too.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Keep in mind that the Duggars have 19 kids. Isn't it almost statistically inevitable that some of them will have issues? Plus none of us would even know about this if they weren't famous.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, you are of course correct. No matter how good parenting is, sometimes things go crosswise. The key is how you deal with it.

And as I've noted, sibling sexual activity/abuse occurs about 5 times more often than sexual predation by adults on children.

It's happening a lot. Don't kid yourselves.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Lots of bad things happen all the time...no truer words.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The Friday interview is supposed to be with the girls.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lots of bad things happen all the time...no truer words.

yes, and they happen to all kinds of families. We like to try and differentiate ourselves, because it makes us feel better to say - well, it happened to them because they are different from me.

But that's just to make ourselves feel better. In fact, this kind of thing happens in all kinds of families.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
This is interesting. According to the city attorney, the police report was NOT sealed so had to be released when an FOI was filed. The reason? Because the report was not filed until Josh was 18...and an adult. Their delay in reporting this may have possibly been the thing that left them exposed.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, i think they may have gotten bad advice. They seemed to think it was sealed.

however, if the victims are not 18, then that's another matter. It should have still been sealed.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
The age of the victims isnt the determining factor for sealing a record. Its the age of the suspect at the time the report is filed.....thats why their names were redacted. It was dealt with the exact same way that any report on an adult is handled...there was no special treatment either positively or negatively. Its the law.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
It's particularly interesting, to me when "bad things" happen to a family like the Duggars that spend so much energy preaching again against an entire segment of society... like the lgbt community .... speaking of their perversion and their danger to young children. Doesn't mean my heart doesn't break for those 5 girls that had their vaginas and other parts fondled while they slept and also while they were awake and in their own home.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Keldogg, let's be real here. The identity of the victims is suppose to be kept secret, unless the victims consent to being revealed. Redacting their names in a report like this does not keep it secret!

It is a VIOLATION of the victims to let this stuff go out, and I don't give a damn about the law. I care about THEM!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Am I sorry that this happened to the young ladies involved? Absolutely.

But this view that they are somehow damaged for life is ridiculous. We don't know how they feel. Some kids sail through it. Some have lifelong issues.

Why can't we just let them have their own journies and stop pitying them? Pity damages victims. True compassion, which means taking THEIR feelings into account, is what will help them.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Well then change the law. But they cant accuse the police chief and the left wing media and the lesbian agenda holders for violating the law and preach about suing them...they themselves are responsible for this and their lies and pointing fingers at anyone but themselves wont change the truth.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I don't believe that people are born bad. Something happened to cause Josh's behaviour. The family has no hesitation baring all for TV, which helps no one, but something triggered his behaviour.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I wish I could change the law, actually. It's incredibly harmful. Yes, they redact the names, but it isn't hard to figure out who the victims are in most cases.

So, I hope they do sue. Maybe it will get people's attention into how harmful this law is.

And frankly I don't think the law is quite as clear in this matter as some are saying.

Or maybe the world wide web will just wish any ill on the Duggars that they can, because they don't like them. All the while saying they care about the victims when their actions don't match their words.

Just like defending the release of the police report because it was "legal" and not caring how much it damages the victims.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
That is and should be the defense. Are we going to tell the police we only want you to obey some of the laws some of the time? We want YOU to look at who the people are in the report and YOU decide if the law should be obeyed.

As I said change the law but dont blame people who are following the law. This is not their fault.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
No, I do blame the people that are following the law. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.