TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 02, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 02, 2015 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Wasn't each of the Duggar children taught to play a musical instrument?

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I have and there is much documentation to show that. There are always exceptions to the rule in any situation. Some parents who undertake homeschooling do it for the wrong reasons and are not prepared. Some are not qualified to provide their children with a good education. But on the whole, if a structured approach is used and parents use good curriculum then homeschooled children are generally an entire grade level above traditionally schooled children of the same age.

Here's a good article from USA Today with some facts/figures. http://college.usatoday.com/2012/02/18/do-home-schoolers-do-better-in-college-than-traditional-students/

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I'm pretty sure the Duggar's are not keen on science or broad literature teachings. I can't see the Duggar kids being allowed to read the books you and I were in HS like 1984, Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet, Catcher in the Rye, Grapes of Wrath, Orthello....all great novels that most of us have read because of school. Were the older kids taught basic 9th grade science like comparing scientific theories of the origin and evolution of living things...I think not. I'm just talking about this families home schooling. Not condemning home schooling as a whole.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I went to public school and I don't think I've read the majority of those books.

I have many conservative Christian friends who homeschool and their kids seem to be able to eke out a college education.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I read Grapes of Wrath and all of the other Steinbeck books after college. Loved them.

I think a lot of home schooling is now done via the internet too.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I went to HS in Chicago in the early-mid 70's and that was the first experience I had reading anything besides raunchy romance novels. Those were all on our reading lists. Not only did we read them we also had discussions, sometimes lively.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I don't know statistics but I know several homeschooled kids that are at or above grade level.

The Duggar kids are taught using all Christian academic material. On their various websites (Duggars, TLC blogs by Michelle etc), you can see titles/lists of some of the materials they use. They are taught in the home and do not seem to be part of some larger homeschooling group. They believe in and are taught creationism, so, I do not see how their science education can be adequate.

I think that if the public were to see the extremely conservative patriarchal educational materials that were used at least for the older kids, we would probably be shocked. The Advanced Training Institue (ATI) and Institute of Basic Life Principles (IBLP) under the former leadership of Bill Gothard (a person the Duggars have yet to denounce) are some of the programs the Duggars use/used.

As they have scrubbed info from former webpages and changed their physical images to seem more mainstream (eg, Michelle has mentioned keeping their knees covered and her knees were blurred out while she was waterskiing but now you see the older girls knees at times), perhaps they are using educational materials that are possibly giving them a quality academic education - or at least of higher caliber academics than the older kids received.

Every so often you can see snippets of educational type things such as a paper written by one of the middle boys, Jackson recently being quizzed by flash cards at Jill's house, little notes on their kitchen wall, teen Joy reading an elementary school level chapter book (The Boxcar Children?). These few things suggest that at least some of them are working below grade level. Also, one of the 4 older girls was asked a question about a book. She mentioned something about Prince Charming. As a young adult, choosing that book of all books to talk about is just sad to me.

Other than the Bible, they haven't shown many books on their show. You don't see them in their home. Where are all those books? Michelle has said the kids read a lot.

Michelle has said the older kids got/will get their GEDs and took standardized tests. I do not necessarily think that indicates they are well educated; however maybe they are sufficiently educated. Maybe. Maybe not. We don't really have any way of knowing.

I fear the younger kids are not receiving a quality education at all. Of course we see only a few mins. of their lives. The old specials and tv shows showed a more structured environment re school with Michelle as teacher. The Duggars are often away from home participating in anti abortion demonstrations and other political type activities as well as book tours and speaking engagements. I fear the time and effort currently put into the educations of the kids younger than Joy is not adequate in quality or quantity for them. I actually fear that not one of the 19 got/is getting quality education. (Except for Joe because he is a college student currently. Even though Jill was studying midwifery, she was studying to be a lay midwife not a certified nurse midwife. To me, that does not indicate whether or not she received a quality high school education.)

I also fear that none of the children were taught critical thinking skills. Living debt free is a good thing to be taught. Being frugal and buying used and saving the difference is also good. But the actual academics need to be taught as well. I hope they were and are.

Speaking of buying used etc, I wonder how much of that they continue to do. It seems they have new clothes and apple products.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I think a lot of assumptions are being made on the quality of education received by the Duggar children.

I went to public school and state university and still have not read many of the "classics" to this day. I was too busy reading Nancy Drew in jr high and Gone With The Wind umpteen times. I did read 1984 in High School, it was required reading, but I don't remember much of it to date and don't know that reading it provided me with any greater wisdom.

I don't know that much better education is received in our public schools these days.

As for dressing modestly, I don't see anything wrong with it. More women should follow the example and stop flaunting everything they have for the world to see. There's nothing wrong with a little mystery.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Friday, April 24, 2015 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
They are not taught to think for themselves. They are taught to believe what they are told. I cannot imagine how they would do on an analytical test. Math, English, some History and Geography are probably not much different for the Duggar kids, but Science and things like Civics/Politics are not likely to be taught up to public school standards.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I think there is a big difference in not being taught to think for yourself and teaching your children your values. I have never seen anything that would say they are not teaching them the sciences. Most Christian homeschool curriculum covers the sciences. You can learn about evolution but believe in creation based on your values. It's pretty hard to change the facts of history. But don't most people intemperate facts based on their beliefs and values?
I am almost 57, I read all those books. My kids 25 and 21 didn't read any of them except for Tale of Two Cities in their public school education.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
just want to add, I don't agree with some of their values, but I don't think that necessarily proves they are getting a bad education.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I would hesitate to make assumptions about their education or lack thereof - and I also think that they are more than capable of making decisions for themselves. The adult children all appear to be intelligent. If they wanted to choose to change their beliefs I feel certain they could do so. It may be that they actually like their lifestyle and to this point have chosen to live in a similar manner to that espoused by their parents.

Time will tell whether all of them choose to continue or some of them choose alternative lifestyles.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
In light of the terrible earthquake in Nepal…was that where Jill and Derek met? I know it was in one of those Himalayan countries.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Yes, in Kathmandu.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, April 27, 2015 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I imaging Derek is very concerned about the people he left behind. No double that will be addressed on an upcoming episode.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Our Josh is at is again but, no really he's a good man. Can't he be happy practicing his religion without demanding others do too???

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/
josh_duggar_if_christians_aren_t_allowed_to_discriminate_
against_gays_they_re_victims_of_discrimination

Josh-In other words, not allowing Christians to discriminate against gay people is "discriminating against people based on their religious convictions."

Needmylifeback

08-14-2000

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Needmylifeback a private message Print Post    
Some one speaking at something called a "Hate Rally" really shouldn't be speaking at all....

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I was sorry to see little Josie ill. I too had the fibril seizures when I was a little child and spiked a fever. PTL I outgrew them but they scared the wits out of my mother.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Josh's twisted logic sounds anything but Christian to me and makes no sense whatsoever. But then again a lot of Christians interpretation of the Christian religion confuses me.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have been bringing this stuff up for a few years. On the TV show, they claim they don't judge others. But in their real lives, they judge and much more. Between rallies against allowing a restaurant to serve beer, and supporting only candidates who at most feel contraception should be illegal, and who at least think women should have no choices whatsoever. Using their celebrity to take away so many rights.

If you don't like beer, don't drink it.... If you don't like contraception, don't use it. If you don't support abortion, don't have one. I'm sure everyone is fine with that. But leave the rest of us alone.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Josh is just getting more signatures on this already existing CHANGE.ORG petition.

LINK

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I think next week might be the episode of the new baby's birth. I can't wait to she how she fared on the mother side verses her midwifery side. I don't think it was a walk in the park for her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I saw a blurb in The Star, I think, or US Weekly that was about the other sister being pregnant but that they kept quiet until after the baby was born to not steal their thunder.

Anyway it used a phrase like "grueling 70 hour labor"

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had read she did have a hard time of it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
They said in a commercial that the baby turned breech and she ended up having an emergency C. (At least that's what I think I heard.)