TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: General Discussion (Various Shows): ARCHIVES: Archive through March 09, 2015 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The "town bike"? Is that the same as "well ridden"? (The things I learn here!)

Maybe you could ask the teen what others say about the guys who go from girl to girl and what they call the girls who do the same thing. Then ask if that's the label they'd like from their peers.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 4:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
What I am really trying to get at is, hopefully I can word it better now, is it really O.K. to use peer pressure 'name calling' phrases when we are trying to get our older kids to change their behavior?

We tell them for years when they are younger to just know who you are and don't worry about what others say about them. Then as they grew older, I told them, when some incidents occurred, that their behavior has made them look a certain way....not just sexual situations. If you continually act like a puppy, you will be called a puppy.

It's the change between teaching them to ignore peer pressure when they are younger and then using peer pressure to get them to see the labels they may acquire in their late teens and early adulthood. Technically my kids are all adults now, but I still have one to get through high school.

In this day and age we are hopefully past blaming the victim of rape on the way they dress. But this is getting close.

You are acting like a ......
Your clothing make you look like.....
What will people think if you.....
You need to learn to be nicer or people will think you are a.....(my current problem)

When we as parents do this are we not telling them that the labels we told them to ignore as children and tweens now matter? Back then it was more about ignoring things that were made up in spite, or attacking any kid that was different.

Once again, I am unsure if I am getting my point across.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think you've got your point across very well. I only wish that I had an answer for you.

The best I can come up with is there's definitely a balance between being true to yourself and also considering what other people think of you. As people get older, more experienced and wiser, they should realize that the world is not black and white and yes and no. It's complicated and there will be times when you will have conflicting priorities.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
We watched The British Baking Show, and I should take notes - I get such a kick out of the expressions and words! For instance "Higgedy piggedy" and I think that was in reference to something that was just a mess!

Last nights show was 6 bakers, and the did the "meat pies" then the "Blind bake off" where they are given a recipe, but no details - none had heard of it - "Kouign Amann" a "Breton" recipe! It was a puff pastry type (because it had butter they enveloped in the dough, then folded it 3 times, sugar was to be added, and they had to let it rest - proofing drawer, or on the table, or one did it in the fridge... Their final "show stopper" was "eclair"

just love this show!
(http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-british-baking-show/0

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the show as well Reader.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 4:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
TY

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Mummy, if I had an answer, I'd let you know - I'm raising a teenage girl that is very strongly opinionated - no matter what punishment I could contrive, no matter what I would say or do - - it would have no affect, it just wouldn't. Peer pressure wouldn't matter to this child of mine. But I strongly believe we as adults need to address everyone, especially kids in a positive matter.

Zippy

07-03-2011

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zippy a private message Print Post    
I really enjoy the British Baking Show also. It is refreshing to watch a show where all of the competitors are nice and supportive of each other. Every week after watching I get the itch to bake, everything looks so yummy.

I also watched UK Masterchef Professional on the BBCA channel. They ran two seasons back to back and it was a good show.

Mummy, on the Masterchef show they also appeared to be using plastic wrap in the oven when blind baking.....hmmmmm I can't imagine doing that.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
I had the chance to run my question past my 20 yo daughter tonight. Her opinion is that it doesn't matter how you word something, that when certain words are used the person always feels insulted. I hadn't thought about it that way before. I love bouncing ideas off this kid. Sometimes I think she has learned what I have tried to teach her better than I have.

Reader, I know just what you are going through. My oldest daughter was exactly the same way. Those years were very difficult for all of us. The only thing that helped me cope a bit better was to choose to see her as determined instead of stubborn.

Both situations are about the power of words.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
very wise Mummy! Thank you, and I do know better, and I do catch myself... I think one of the other word transitions is "challenges and opportunities" (as opposed to problems and difficulties, or the "I can't" )

I try and when I fail, I always try and come back and apologize and discuss my failings and how I will try and do better...

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
fyi - if you ever want to attend these shows, here is where you can get tickets
on camera audiences they also do big brother tickets when that is on the air.

Right now you have so you think you can dance around the country in various cities,
Idol will be in detroit next week.
Amercian Ninja is around the country in various cities in May
Fake off is starting filming in Atlanta.

Just check and see what is near you, Iknow most of the shows are in Californian, next most is NYC, but there are a lot out and around in different cities.
for talk shows, there is 1Iota.com they do Kimmel the late show, the late late show and the morning talk shows in NYC. they also do specials, I was in the audience for an all star rock show, where the cheapest audience ticket was over 1000 and they were up in the attic, the front row tickets were in the multi thousands. I still find it hard to believe how many super stars were there.

Bbwatcher

09-12-2008

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbwatcher a private message Print Post    
Is anyone watching Little Women: LA? Couldn't find a message board for the show.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Yup, that Christy is a piece of work.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I like this show & watched it last season too. Christy is the pot stirer. Tara always wants to be the center of attention. Elena is the prissy one. Tonya is the say it like it is one. Tracy is the neg. attitude one. And, my fav. is cute little Brianna.

Cino_b

06-08-2006

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cino_b a private message Print Post    
Christy is a trouble maker and now Brianna is right there with her but Christy is a piece of work.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I think I would pick Tonya as my fav, she's very no nonsense and funny. Christy just can't believe bringing Joes old fling along would cause a problem. Lol. Anything to irritate. Traci is a total negative Nellie. It always looks like she is smelly poop. Never a happy woman.

I can't believe Elena and that surgery, so unnecessary!

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Tee Hee.....right on about Traci looking like she is always smelling poop!

Bbwatcher

09-12-2008

Friday, February 20, 2015 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbwatcher a private message Print Post    
I was wondering if anyone besides me was watching. lol I agree about Christy,she is a potstirrer. Brianna is guilty for going along with Christy's antics. Traci is depressing. Tara is full of herself, but I do like her and Elena, but Tonya is my favorite.

Bidasea

08-04-2005

Monday, February 23, 2015 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bidasea a private message Print Post    
I never miss this show. Love me some Tonya. She is so cute. Someone should tell Traci to stop crying on camera. That is not good look for her. I think that Elena's husband is the sweetest guy.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
"The Voice" starts tonight!!!!

Marej

09-19-2002

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marej a private message Print Post    
Another season of Hell's Kitchen starts very soon.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Wrong thread. Please delete

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, March 02, 2015 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
A new season of RuPaul's Drag Race starts tonight at 9pm on LOGO.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Jillian Michaels has a new show on Spike TV coming this fall....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/03/03/jillian-michaels-to-star-in-spike-tv-fitness-show/24327931/

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 09, 2015 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am not sure if people watch French TV shows here
Reality TV cast killed when helicopters collide
Eight cast members from a reality TV show were killed on Monday when two helicopters collided mid-air over Argentina.

The French nationals were filming a survival series “Dropped” in the rugged mountains of the La Rioja province of the South American country, reported the Guardian.
Among the dead are champion sailor Florence Arthaud, Olympic gold medalist swimmer Camille Muffat and Olympic boxer Alexis Vastine. Along with the contestants, two Argentine pilots were also killed.