TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 11, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 11, 2015 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Starr, I understand and respect your opinion. We all see things in a different light but that's OK isn't it?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I understand your point, Starr. What the Duggar's did was obviously not the worst example of animal abuse to say the least. However, it was still a dumb thing to do and unnecessarily mean.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
No jumping here, Starr. I happen to agree with you. That cat wasn't abused deliberately. They weren't deliberately trying to harm that cat they were a family having fun in the snow. I don't even think the cat was hit, cats are smarter than that. This is one of those cases where a mountain has been made out of a molehill...but then nothing surprises me anymore.

Amchess

08-26-2002

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Amchess a private message Print Post    
Re the dog tied to the railroad track, the dr was able to save it's leg!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I am not worried about the cat being out-of-doors.

There are a number of families here that have in-door/ out-door cats. The cat wouldn't have it any other way. They live a long time.

One simple, but horrible, example of animal abuse was told to me by a client.

He said that his neighbor laughed and said that he likes to shoot the feet off birds that are sitting in a tree. He though it was funny to see them fly off and try to land without feet.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You know what. With a lot of bad things we can find something else even worse. I'm not exactly sure what we are proving by doing that though?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
You can erase mine, but it went along with laughing while doing something mean.

06-29-2002

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
We don't remove posts that are part of ongoing conversations unless they break the rules.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Got it!

Starr

07-09-2005

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
... We all see things in a different light but that's OK isn't it?

Thanks all! My words on a different issue were recently misconstrued, so I was a little unnecessarily defensive. Phew! And yes, I agree that we can all see things a little differently. Should have known from the black/blue-white/gold dress how people can see the same thing only not the same.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Outside cats in my complex, and my city and this county don't make it too long outside, even seemingly strong cats.. we have coyotes and one by one the outside cats have disappeared here :-(
My last inside cat (before Katniss) was picked up as a stray, adopted by me and lived a happy inside life for over another 21 years (she was est at a year when I adopted her). Methinks she preferred being kept inside and loved for a couple of decades over the other options. Before the coyotes moved in here, I tried to adopt a lovely stray but she was so far gone due to FeLV AND FIV my rescue turned into putting her down. Yes she maybe liked being outside but she was huddled on my front step to attempt to get out of the rain when I took her off to the vet.

And of course opinions vary.. life would be pretty boring if we all felt the same about everything!

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
I think the invisible fences for cats (they wear a special collar) is a good option. That way the cat gets to experience the outdoors without getting run over or eaten. I know several people that do this and they say the cat isn't harmed and the cats love to get the collar on because they know they get to go outside. But, if I owned a cat I would prefer it to be indoors only.

When my dog was a puppy hawks kept trying to carry it off so I installed a 4 foot privacy fence all around the patio including a narrow grassy area. The hawks would fly up and sit on the fence but I guess they felt the fence prevented them from a safe take-off. I didn't design it that way but it sure worked out. The fence was built so I wouldn't have to chase after the puppy in the huge backyard and it worked well for that too.
Now that one dog is almost blind and deaf the fenced-in patio area is much safer for her and I can let her out and not worry about her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Seems like the animal with the collar would be trapped in an open yard and predators could just come and get them, along with parasites, fleas, etc.

I looked online and didn't even think of people who steal aminals.. but they mentioned it.

http://blogs.charlestondailymail.com/petcity/2013/07/24
/shocking-truth-about-invisible-fences/

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I grew up with cats and they lived well into their 20's and were indoor outdoor Cats. Just saying. I have 2 cats now and 1 goes out mostly in the backyard with us. The other doesn't care for the outside. He'll stand in the doorway as his sister and I enjoy the outdoor weather but has no interest in the outside world.

Either way you can't claim to live this saintly Christian lifestyle while fighting against gay rights, profess modesty, fight against science, and then aim a make shift sled at a cat while all those amongst you laugh at the act. TLC promotes this family as something they really aren't.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Having conservative Christian beliefs does not equate with claiming to live a saintly lifestyle. We believe we are imperfect humans forgiven by grace. We make mistakes, sometimes huge ones. The difference between the Duggars and the rest of us is that our lives aren't on TLC. Believing in what scripture teaches should not subject someone to the constant criticism Christians receive anymore than anyone else deserves to receive for their life choices. I don't believe in gay marriage, I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage. Doesn't mean I don't think gay people should have the right to live the lives they choose. Now ask me about civil unions and we'd have a different discussion but marriage, nope.

On the cat, I am so over it. They weren't laughing at the cat, they were laughing and having fun. Nobody knows what happened after the clip ended. Did one of the children pick up the cat? Was the cat even injured, scared, or anything else? That cat jumped out of the way, on its own. Cats do that.

I am not a cat person. Period. I would never harm one deliberately, have I harmed one? Yes. I ran over one with my car when I was a teenager. Deliberately? Nope. It was a kitten that climbed into the wheel well of my car and when I backed up...well, you get the picture. Does that make me a horrid person? Seeing the reactions of many people here and elsewhere, they'd have me executed.

The point is that many people don't see animals as the same as people. We have a dog, a wonderfully loyal loving German Shepherd. We adopted him, as I have all the dogs I've ever owned. But he's a dog, not a people. He's well cared for, but we own him not the other way around. We have chickens, we have them for eggs, if one stops laying she's bound for the dumpling pot. Doesn't make me horrid. My family has always hunted, we eat what we kill. Venison, quail, pheasant, duck, goose: all delicious. We need to realize that everyone is different and not be so critical and judgmental of others.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Just curious. Would you try, if safely possible, to avoid hitting or hurting a cat?

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
TLC makes them seem like they are this perfect god fearing family when in fact they are less like Christ and more like the busy body next-door neighbor that tells people how they should live their lives. And their pure disdain for anyone who is not heterosexual would make most sane peoples skin crawl. No one is forcing them to be gay but they feel the need to put their religious beliefs as the only belief to have and fight vehemently against others not exactly like them. These people are not good.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, yes I would.

I was driving home from work and a cat ran in front of my car. I slowed down and it ran in front of me. The car coming the other direction picked up speed so they could hit it. The guy had a big smile on his face.

A cat lay dead at the side of the road, and he was proud of himself.

Two of us stopped to check the cat out.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
My dog owns me.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Lil, don't you think that is the whole point? TLC makes them appear. It's reality television. We see 30 minutes a week of what they film over months at a time. They intersperse clips and make it seem like they're talking about what's happening right then, but it's not. Yes, they have very strong conservative beliefs, but then so do a lot of people in our world. They stand up for their beliefs and we know about it because they are on television each week. Their show is promoted by TLC and their sister networks. Would we, as a general public know anything about their beliefs, political or otherwise if they weren't on television? Very doubtful.

I've never seen them show disdain for anybody, not in my opinion anyway. Disagreement, yes, but that's quite different from disdain. Just because their opinions and beliefs differ from yours does not mean they are not good people. That's your opinion of them, not everyone's.

I think there are some absolutely horrid people and shows on television. The Kardashians, the housewives franchise, The Sex Box, Marriage boot camp and on and on. I don't waste my time watching them, I can glean enough from the commercials to know I'm not interested, and I don't go on their message boards, etc. Life's too short to spend it on something I think is horrible.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I always slow/brake for animals even knowing it is not the best thing to do because cars behind you can be caught off guard by your sudden change in speed and possibly rear end you.

A few years back at my knitting group, we talked about how many of us mourn dogs and cats more then we do people at times.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I hit a big lumbering dog once on a dark, busy street. I stopped and was so upset about it. I just could not believe I hit him. When the dog's family came out, they actually calmed me saying that the dog was old and had lived a good life. I offered to pay his vet bills, but they said no. Yes, doggies own us.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Anything going on with the show? A wedding? A baby?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Annie.. probably both, always for the next many years..

I hit a coyote once that jumped right in front of my car off a hillside and I stopped, as did my then husband in the other car following me and he went back to make sure it was not suffering (the car in back of his hit the coyote, too and it died on the spot. I felt terrible.

The Duggars are not simply "conservative Christians" but members of a movement that believes in interfering with lives of others and raising money to influence elections in other areas than theirs and the mission is to procreate and have more warriors for their cause.. ironic since statistically one or two of their kids are gay and undoubtedly will lead a tormented life trying to hide who they are.

They are public beyond what TLC is doing, though of course TLC is willing to glorify anyone for money.

People who are Christian may assume that the Duggars are like them but I'd guess for the majority that wouldn't be true.

As far as marriage, I don't see that it is in the power of anyone here to decide who, where, how or why just as I wouldn't expect to tell anyone here they could or couldn't marry another consenting adult.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
anyone actually watching the show?