TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 01, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Bake Off Series Five: Archive through March 01, 2015 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Is anyone else watching Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry? I have loved this show from the first, and this year's bakers have been so impressive. I actually choked up this week when they announced the "who's going home" baker.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Oh man, I need new glasses. Until I got my face closer to the screen to see what the title of this thread really was, my brain decided to read it as "The Greatest B***h of....." (not sure what my brain was going to call it, since by the time I got to "of" I'd gotten close enough to the screen to figure it out).

I should have realized it would have been red-dotted. LOL. Wait, can a thread title have a red dotted word? Or would just not work at all?

Actually, that might be a show that would get a lot of viewers. People seem to love drama, or at least the network producers seem to think so.

Oh, and no, I haven't seen the show you're talking about. Haven't seen much of anything lately.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I've been loving it, as always. Richard has been so good that his off week was a bit disconcerting. And Martha is incredibly impressive, especially for a 17 year old. I think she'll be gone in a week or two, though, unless she steps up her game. Louie is also great, but his perfection leaves me somewhat cold. I also loved the Scottish guy who threw his baked Alaska in the bin. Was sad to see him, and his beard, go.

In addition to Paul and Mary, I have to say how much I love Mel and sue. They're so funny and so supportive of the bakers...you can sense their genuine fondness for most of them, even through their sardonic wit. In the US version, sadly, we had Jeff Foxworthy and that useless, charisma-impaired female judge...it's no wonder it failed.

Also: The Beeb is also running a half hour recap show called Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice, starring Jo Brandt, a reasonably funny comedian, who has three guests each week talk about the episode, interview the axed baker, and sample (and make fun of) audience members' baking efforts. It's not great TV, really, but I love the Bake Off enough to watch it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I love Richard! I am very concerned he is going to go soon. They are all so good at the moment anyone could have a random bad week and go but he's had two in a row, and that worries me.

I'm convinced Sue is me in another life where I was skinny, funny and lesbian. I am extraordinarily attached to her, she seems to think everything I think. I've always liked Jo Brand too, although she's not everyone's cup of tea. She was sweet with Diana last night, who seemed very nervous.

Right now I'd be happy if any of them won, but I'd like it to be Richard.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The young man who threw his Alaska in the trash and the older Scottish man were two different bakers. I was sad to see the older man go, but I think he was just chuffed to participate at all. Louis is incredible, and so if Martha, and so is Nancy....and Chetna....wow. I love Richard's attitude, as well as Kate's. Not a mean one or drama queen among them. I think I'd like a Martha win, but I don't know if she can pull it out against so many veteran bakers. Whoever wins will NOT be a disappointment. :-)

And Whoami - Now I am DYING to try to start a new thread line with a red-star word...just to see what happens!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Ian with the beard was NIrish. Norman with the exotic pesto was Scottish.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
ooops. for whatever reason, i thought iain was scottish.

the great irish bake off is just terrible fwiw. i watched the first season but that was all i could take of it.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
can someone tell me what and where this is on? I cannot find it on any of my schedules.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Countrydaze, I watch it here: http://watchseries-online.ch/category/the-great-british-bake-off

Poor Martha. I knew she only had a couple weeks left, but it's really sad to see her go. The bakers this year are just SO good.....

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
Thank you Tishala, I will check it out.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
An Extra Slice was pretty funny this week. At the end, they did a tribute to all the bakers who'd been eliminated and gave them names like "The One with the Hair," "The One Who Bought His Fondant," "The Child Genius (Without the Weirdness)," "The Bin Man," etc. It was very cute and Chetna--poor Chetna--was just lovely. She's a gorgeous woman and seems terribly humble.

Ready for the final next week. One of the panelists on Extra Slice said that if Richard didn't win there'd be rioting in the streets LOL. I don't know about that, but either Richard or Louie seems like a shoe-in as winner.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
This is the one show where I rarely have a true favorite because most of them are so lovely. I think I'd like to see Richard win this series, but Louis and Nancy are fantastic as well. It's been sad the last two episodes as both Chetna and Martha were great fun to watch and seemed like such sweet people.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, October 06, 2014 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I was convinced they would give Louis star baker this week as he beat Richard in the technical challenge (what a stupid cake!) and had more favourable comments in the showstopper. I thought if they gave Louis star baker he'd have two against Richard's four, whereas now he still just has one against Richard's five. If Richard messes up this week (which he's more likely to do than Louis I think) then it will "feel" worse if he doesn't win than if they'd evened it up a bit.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I hate it when Paul says "it needed a little more time to prove" or "it needed longer in the oven." THEY HAD 36 CAKES TO MAKE IN TWO HOURS!!!! I would love to see how their creations would be if they had more time.

Great final.

The Jo Brand thing is 45 minutes long this week. Also this week and next week (Thurs and Fri this week, Wed and Thurs next week) there are four The Great British Bake Off Masterclasses where Paul and Mary show you how some of the technical challenges (and maybe others) should be done.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Anyone who likes to hunt out these shows... currently airing are four special shows with celebrities called "The Great Comic Relief Bake Off." It's season 2, three have aired and one more to come.

The first show is so funny I've actually been crying at times.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
What station is it on?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Karunna ~ Here in northern California, it's on PBS.

OOps, the Great Bristish Baking show is on PBS. I don't know about his other one.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The Great Comic Relief Bake Off is on BBC.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kappy. I have been watching the Great British Baking Show, but I was thinking it aired on the weekends, and I'm not seeing it on the schedule this weekend.

I'll look for the BBC ones on Demand, just in case they are there.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I just found The Great British Baking Show on our PBS station for tonight.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, it's not being carried on ours. What the heck? I watch all season and they decide not to carry the finale??

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I have it showing on my PBS channel starting at 7:30 though.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I can't believe they aren't showing it here. It's not on at all here, not anytime in the next two weeks!

Hopefully I can catch it online somewhere after the broadcast.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The new one I mentioned is only (that I know of) to be found on the internets. I doubt it will be on PBS as it's a charity show. I know from the past some people are pretty proficient at finding shows online as they air, so thought people might be interested.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, if anyone has any insight on where to watch the final of Great British Baking, let me know. :-)