TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 27, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 27, 2014 users admin

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Puzzled....wasn't you who said NO preacher would ever be forced to marry a gay couple?? http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/19/idaho-city-to-christian-pastors-preform-same-sex-weddings-or-face-jail/

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I heard about the above on the radio this morning.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
the city may have told the preachers that, but if they try to enforce it, they will be shut down in a heartbeat. just to give an easy example: the Catholic church will not marry a couple if both partners aren't Catholic: there is nothing the state can do because the church can set its own rules. similarly, the Catholic church won't marry someone who's been divorced (unless he or she have had the marriage annulled by the Church); there is nothing the state can do because the church can set its own rules. other churches stipulate that couples take marriage classes in order to get married; my best friend was raised Orthodox (Jewish) and no Orthodox rabbi would marry her because her husband was a gentile, so she had to find a reform rabbi who would do the ceremony.

simple as that.

who will have to perform them? civil authorities like justices of the peace.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
The Hitching Post is a licensed business, not a tax-exempt church. Licensed businesses are forbidden from discriminating by long-standing public accommodation laws that predate the advent of same-sex marriage. Before same-sex marriage was legalized in Idaho, the owners of the Hitching Post declared that they would close before serving gay customers. Only when the Alliance Defending Freedom, a national Christian advocacy group with an annual budget of over $100M, offered to defend them did the Hitching Post owners suddenly change their minds. But the ADF, who has lost 22 consecutive cases in the federal courts, knows that theirs is a doomed cause as the US Supreme Court in June already ruled on this issue when it rejected the appeal of a New Mexico wedding photographers.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I watch because I find human behaviour fascinating. The Duggars are particularly baffling to me. All that chastity, yet they allow filming of a birth on a toilet, for instance. I don't understand how it's o.k. to limit your children's horizons.

Lilfair is right. The Hitching post is not a church.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Puzzled you said, "A priest/minister/pastor/rabbi/imam/whoever can refuse to marry any couple for all kinds of reasons. They've always had that right, so nothing's really changed."

They are pastors, ordained ministers. Whether or not their business is for-profit. I'm just pointing out that what you said has already been proved false and is just the first step in forcing anyone to perform gay marriages. That's all.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Outside a church, synagogue, or mosque, priests, rabbis, and.imams have to abide by the same.laws regarding public accommodations as anyone.else. if they perform marriages in a church h, synagogue, or mosque, they have all the protections afforded to every other cleric or religious organization.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
thanks, puzzled.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Churches and other organizations have free exercise rights, but for-profit corporations do not. We all learned this in 8 th grade.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
Why are Duggar girls not allowed to wear pants or blue jeans? Loose pants can be considered modest clothing.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Redpen, they get that asked and the way they answer on the tv shows I've seen is that the girls "prefer" dresses, they just feel better in dresses... they do wear pants under dresses if it warrants it (for some of their adventures)

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Josh's wife always wears dresses too. Amy, the Duggar cousin doesn't. Seems like the females in the Bates family always wear dresses too. They all grow their hair long as well.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
Guess I just prefer the Brown family's type of modesty. Just seems more practical for doing chores,etc.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i read they do it to dress modestly and feminine. saw a really cute picture of Jana and Derrick snowboarding and she was in snow board pants.
Cousin Amy doesn't follow all the way of life choices the Duggars have made

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I think I remember the show where Jana & one of the Duggar bros went snow skiing w/Josh, Anna & kids. Jana & Anna both wore snow pants during that show. Anna actually was shown on skis with a skirt on in some of it. The little girls are always dressed so cute & always have their hair fixed. They wear a lot of leggings under their dresses & I see many young girls their age that dress this way. My maternal grandmother was in her late 50s when I was born & I never saw her in anything but dresses. They were not stylish either, but practical shirt waist dresses w/full skirt bottoms that came right below her knee. That was just her style I guess. She always kept her hair chin length dyed dark brown & wavey.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
You're just misinformed, Misspoufy. Being ordained does not give you the right to perform legally valid marriages. The ordained minister has to have a license from his/her church. JPs are not ordained, but they can perform marriages as long as their licenses are valid. The Hitching Post is not a church, but a business. Churches/Synagogues/Mosques/Temples can refuse to marry people at will.

If they want to refuse to marry gays, or anyone else, they can stop being a business, become nonprofit and a church.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
You missed the forest for the trees, Puzzled. I was pointing out that you said NO PASTOR, etc., would be forced. These ARE pastors, ordained and licensed and they're going to be forced to perform gay marriages. While I realize their business is a for-profit business I was pointing out the error in what you said. I'm not misinformed, I'm simply standing on what I originally said that the day is looming on the horizon when all churches and places of worship will be forced to perform gay marriages or face lawsuits for discrimination. As the states fall one by one for standing against gay marriage on the basis of belief in God's Word we move ever closer to the day when the doors of our churches will be forced to close because of our beliefs or our churches be forced to perform gay marriages on demand. You can say no, no, no, will never happen all you want but that day IS coming.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Again Misspoufy you are making a connection that isn't there. . It is a FOR PROFIT business not a church therefore they are not allowed to discriminate.

The day is not looming where any church will be forced to marry people they don't want to.

If you continue to make the statement that churches will be forced to marry gays please search google and try and find any successful lawsuit where any church was successfully sued to marry ANYONE that did not want to.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I always thought that churches/ministers could refuse to marry any couple who they feel is unsuitable (straight or gay).

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Ministers at a church can refuse to marry for their specific religious reasons
Ministers at a For Profit business cannot refuse to marry individuals based on their religious reasons

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, October 24, 2014 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
They are not pastors, since they don't have a church. Sigh.😁

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, October 24, 2014 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
They are ordareained pastors. That is not for debate. The issue is their tax status. They are not tax exempt so therefore they fall under the guidelines of the state and pay taxes. B Because of that they are under the laws of the state. If they were in a tax exempt non profit (different from not for profit) they wouldn't. Be under state rule and gave to follow rules of state

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, October 24, 2014 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Sorry for weird punctuation ...typing on kindle ....hope u can read my post

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, October 27, 2014 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Why has this thread that I used to enjoy reading become a political football.

Isn't the wedding this week? I saw a clip over the weekend and it looks like there may be many attendants. Don't watch the show all the time, but I'm looking forward to the wedding!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, October 27, 2014 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i think the wedding is this week. i am so silly about how much i am looking forward to it! LOL