TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 20, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 20, 2014 users admin

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
A priest/minister/pastor/rabbi/imam/whoever can refuse to marry any couple for all kinds of reasons. They've always had that right, so nothing's really changed.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
This family is so far from being a role model it's alarming. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/reality-tv-star-jessa-duggar-blames-the-holocaust-on-the-theory-of-evolution/

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Well, at least she knows the holocaust was wrong and it's wrong to discriminate.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
The brides maid dress shopping & the girls shopping for NEW shoes segments were pretty boring. Hey, I guess they don't buy everything used & save the rest. Each gal got their own pr of NEW shoes. I like the dresses before they re-made them better. Why didn't they just buy a batch of fabric & make the bridesmaids their "tents" from scratch.........

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Interesting article about Jana. Who knows if it is true? http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1012917-jana-duggar-oldest-daughter-of-jim-bob-and-michelle-tired-and-worn-down-source-says/

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Jana seems a bit shy. She always has a "real" smile on her face & she is such an attractive young woman. Heck, all of those kids are nice looking but IMO, she is one of the most attractive. They all have manners & respect. I would be very surprised if she hasn't had guys wanting to get to know her. Maybe, the right guy for her just hasn't shown an interest? Jim Bob & Michelle do not arrange courtships for their kids, they only expose their kids to others that they feel would be acceptable. I wander if Jana still being single & living @ home is more her than anything else. She may very well feel obligated to stay & help as the other older folks leave to develop their own lives. Her twin bro. stays too & they are 24. She may also have such a mothering like bond with some of those younger ones that she doesn't want to change. There are only now 2 other older daughters to take the slack: Jinger & Joy. All of the other girls are just too young. Jill was such a great help to Michelle with the younger kids & she has left the nest. It always seemed like Jana & Jill took on so much more than the others, & did so with pleasure & no doubt that they were being used. It seems like the boys don't have as much responsibility. I know, the boys are being groomed to be bread winners & the girls are being groomed to be baby makers & homemakers.

This was what folks did up until the 60's. I was born in 1957 & I wasn't raised this way. Even the "Leave It To Beaver" & "Father Knows Best" parents would think something is not what most of us consider normal.

Oh well, their life works for them......or at least it works for most of them.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
In the Father Knows Best days the mother took care of her kids and didn't co op the eldest child's life.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, October 13, 2014 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
To me it seems like it works for Michelle and Jim bob. Why can't they raise their own kids without calling on their own kids to raise each other? How selfish of them.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, October 13, 2014 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
More Duggar insanity....
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/reality-tv-star-jim-bob-duggar-pushes-birth-control-falsehood-the-pill-can-be-abortive/

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My husband comes from a blended family. My FIL came in the marriage with a son and my MIL had two daughters and a son. They then together had my husband, his brother and sister. The older ones were relegated a "buddy". My husband's brother from his father was the one to watch over him, help him out with homework, lunch, breakfast, etc. I see nothing wrong in having the older kids help with the younger kids.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
My summers were always taken up with caring for my baby brother. Good thing it was because when he was 3 and a half I had a baby of my own. And by golly I knew how to take care of my son. Thanks, mom!

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
My DDs are 10 & 7 yrs older than my son. My X & I divorced when my kids were 12,9, & 2. As a single, working Mom, I couldn't have juggled every thing without those 2 fantastic girls. My girls earned spending money by helping out with household chores & sometime babysitting for their brother. Actually, some of their friends even would babysit for pay when the DDs had other things going on. It was never expected of the DDs to watch their brother because the woman that ran the daycare center that my son stayed at developed a great bond w/my son & offered to watch him any time outside of the normal daycare routine for pay, of course. My DDs always knew this, so there was no since of obligation. However, they liked me paying them instead of the daycare woman so more than not, they took care of him when I needed extra help.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Shame on Jim Bob for putting out such false info as fact. Being famous and looked up to by many, that is just so wrong and so potentially damaging to others. For someone who is so against abortion, you would think he would be more supportive of birth control.

His and Michelle's extremist views bother me so. Mostly because I believe they have really done such a disservice to their 19 children. So much of what they tout is hypocritical, contradictory, not based in fact, and frankly a lot of it doesn't really make much sense.

They are much more extremist than the few hours of their lives that we've seen on tv over the years. And lately, what we've seen possibly is quite scripted.

I'm all for kids doing chores and helping out their sibs. I think the older Duggar girls have done quite a bit of actual parenting and raising of their younger sibs that should have been done by the parents who are not away from the house all day most days working at an outside job.

They used to have the book To Train Up A Child as a source on their website. This book as been linked to abusive methods to raising kids and even death to a few kids by parents who used that book.

The whole courting so that you are not giving away pieces of your heart stuff seems ridiculous to me. On the show, Jessa and Ben say I love you and talk about marriage and they are not yet engaged. Of course they have given away pieces of their heart.

While there is a lot that bothers me about them, they do seem to love and care about each other. I hope they do. I hope the adult children (and someday the younger children) will find a way to break free of the extremist brainwashing that Jim Bob and Michelle have subjected them to over the years.

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
I totally agree, Happymom.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sorry, but I''m on the other side of the fence, ladies.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree Happymom. This show really is "cult family as seen through Rose Colored Glasses". It's a very manipulated, sanitized view the viewing public is being fed. I honestly can't believe this family is still on TV.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 5:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
You can't believe THIS family is still on TV? What about the lurid lives of the Kardashians or Kendra or Tori and Dean or the myriad of other shows that show the loose morals and lifestyles of families that I will not invite into my home by watching their shows. I garner enough of their trashy lifestyles by being forced to watch the commercials. Our nation is one of peeping toms who gobble up these horrible reality television shows yet are so negative about one who shows the positives of a clean lifestyle.

We can't get enough about women spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a wedding by watching the plethora of wedding shows yet call the shows on Jill's wedding preparations "scripted and boring" Shows like Teen Mom are talked and talked about yet a show that promotes family caring and helping one another is denigrated. When did bad become good and good bad?

Their beliefs that a living being shouldn't be murdered by their mother in the womb are called extremist. I agree, EVERY child given by God is a gift. I believe the choice every woman has is whether or not to lie down and have sex. That's their choice over their body. If that's extremist then I'm happy to be called that right along with Jim Bob and Michelle.

I understand how they believe. As a conservative Christian myself, watching the Duggars gives me hope that there's still some good in our world.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 5:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Amen to every word you wrote, Miss, but didn't a 'certain book' predict this very thing?

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
It did indeed OG, it did indeed. I keep listening and looking up!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am puzzled by the fact that we seem to be fascinated by 'bad' behavior on tv. I am a Christian, but I don't watch the Duggars because of their religious or political views. I don't agree with some of their views, but i much prefer watching a show that makes me smile, where people don't scream at one another, who are not famous for having a sex tape, slept with a 90 year old man, back stab, throw furniture, evade taxes, ect.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I can't believe that the Kardashians are on TV either! There is a lot of garbage on TV for sure. I guess each has found its audience.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Just because I disagree with much of what goes on in the Duggar show doesn't mean that I watch the Kardashians or the Housewives shows, or teen whatevers.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am really not trying to be argumentative, Puzzle, and I apologize if I seem to be. Why do you watch the Duggars? I am always interested in why people watch shows about people they disagree with/don't like. Now, I completely get the 'train wreck' appeal, i have to admit that i am drawn to the Kardashians for that reason but after about 5 minuute, I have to look away. LOL

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
I'll answer Texannie (for me only) - I disagree with the Duggers, but honestly, he is so charismatic, its scary! (only to me)

and at the same time - I have relatives I don't understand, watching the "likable" Duggars gives me a perspective I could never see otherwise....

same with the teen moms, not the HW< they're a train wreck trying to capatilize on the fame of the TV show (imho - not in the beginning with Jeanna, but it is what it is now imho) Don't ask me about Kardashians, but I feel its scripted, and they make so much money off that, its fascinating!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Reader! I never looked at it as a way of understanding someone/something you don't. Now, I don't really want to understanding the Kardashians, but it is a fascinating phenomenon that people can be famous for 'nothing'.

watched the latest show last night. i am impressed how much Michelle and Jim Bob are doing to make sure Jana and Derrick are prepared for the reality of marriage..budgeting, purchasing, how to handle disagreements. ect. As parents, they seem to have a good handle on the fact that things will change regarding family dynamics when they get married. i have many friends whose parents did not understand that.