TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 08, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 08, 2014 users admin

Granjan

05-10-2011

Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granjan a private message Print Post    
Where is the oldest daughter, Jana? What does she do? Anyone.....anyone?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I know it's not everyone's idea of how dating should be done, but taking it slowly, getting to know one another without the distraction of sex does have it's benefits, especially as young as they are.
I really couldn't help smiling the whole time because they were just so cute and happy.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I love it.

Bb_dior

03-20-2014

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bb_dior a private message Print Post    
Texannie, same here! Though I found it a little cringe worthy at times I still think it's quite sweet and innocent.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I think it's refreshing to see innocent young love. It's nice to not see a sexual relationship flaunted for the world to see and it's a joy to see a couple getting their ducks in a row before they commit their lives to one another. These are young adults that will stick to the "Until death do us part" of their vows instead of what we see from so many other reality stars whose marriages don't last two minutes.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
from the previews it looks like Jill (2nd oldest DD) is haveing an online courtship - or at least considering it. She tells her parents that she thinks she may be in love with someone she hasn't met & it shows his pix on the comp. screen.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I don't see side hugging or constant monitoring of their relationship as beneficial to either of them. It's rather disturbing. Either trust your daughter to act as she was raised or acknowledge that she has other ideas on dating. I'm pretty sure if left on her own she would follow her upbringing.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Lilfair ~ side hugging is a way to have a hug that isn't sexual in nature. I don't find it disturbing to do that. I do it with our male friends, and my husband with our female friends. It would be wrong for me to press myself full into their bodies in a hug like I do my spouse. Those kinds of hugs are reserved for him and him alone.

Children can't be trusted. Period. That's been proven throughout time immortal. They need monitoring. That's what good parents do. Besides the pair ASKED to go into a courtship knowing what that would entail. I don't think it was FORCED upon them. It's what they wanted. Left on their own they might follow their upbringing, yes. But they don't want to leave anything to chance. I applaud them for it.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Jill and Jessa aren't children. They are in their 20s. I just do not agree with the manner in which those kids have been raised that until they are married, even if they are adults, their father is the one to "allow" them to court and give side hugs.

ETA, I do trust my children.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
It's just a way to remind the kids that the father is the one in control of their lives. They wouldn't buy a pair of shoes without trying them on, but they can't even hug before they commit their lives to each other?

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I agree w/Happymom: If these were underage teenagers, yep......BUT, we are talking young adults here. Maybe, they just want to respect their parents & do what they think their parents expect.....But, why do the parents "expect" this type of dating from their adult children?

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I seem to be able to hug without pressing myself onto others. lol. I trusted my kids. I didn't raise untrustworthy kids. I suppose untrustworthy kids grow up to be untrustworthy adults. When courting Duggar side hugs it's weird and kinda creeps me out but to each their own. And NO hand holding OMG! No kissing, in my world this is the absolute time to kiss, hug, hold hands. But of course we all have our own personal ideas on what is appropriate.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, April 07, 2014 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Creepy, excessively overbearing, controlling. Yes, those all come to mind. These are 20 something adults? When do they get out from under daddy's control? You lay the groundwork, the foundation of your morals and then you have to let the birds out of the nest to fly or fall.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I think, if you watched last night's show, much of the concerns expressed were answered. The parents AREN'T forcing their kids to choose anything. They were asking questions, "do you want to hold hands", "how do you feel about kissing" and the couple were setting their own boundaries.

I don't think it's a bad thing to get to know someone before you start any sort of physical relationship. These are not kids that grew up together in the same neighborhood or went to the same school. They met once or twice, started talking long distance and I believe are being very wise in building a firm and solid foundation before they take any step into a physical relationship.

Our society puts such emphasis on "trying the milk before you buy the cow", we're more concerned if the sex is good before we find out if the person has any disgusting habits that would break a relationship. I think these kids are showing great judgment and self-control. I think their parents have raised VERY trustworthy kids and should be applauded instead of ridiculed and criticized.

Suzanne_sky

08-14-2008

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suzanne_sky a private message Print Post    
I really like this show, although my husband hates it. When I turn to it, he goes to bed - LOL! I can't understand why he hates it so.

The Duggars live a different lifestyle than 'normal', but I have nothing but respect for their choice. It really is an exciting but bittersweet time in the life of the family at the moment - the daughters starting to leave the nest.

In the last episode they, plus Ben and his mother, went to visit the Bates family and attend Erin's wedding. I noticed that the Bates' are apparently okay with handholding.

The next episode is going to be about Josiah's graduation party. I am anxious to see what Anna's big announcement is... I doubt it's a pregnancy, since Josh seems to not know about it in advance in the preview. Anyone have any ideas?

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Has anyone ever heard of trashing the bride and grooms car. I know we tie cans, soap write just married but I never heard of putting moth balls or stinky stuff in their car?

I might be out of it I also never heard of trashing the wedding dress until last year when I was vacationing in The Dominican Republic. At the resort many wedding are held....to my surprise one morning sitting at the pool a bride, groom, and their photographer strolled in and the bride began to walk into the pool with her wedding dress on....they called it "trashing the dress". ?????? Am I completely out of the loop?

Suzanne_sky

08-14-2008

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suzanne_sky a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of 'trashing the dress' or of doing anything with the dress after the wedding.

As for 'trashing the car', I've never heard it called that, but, yeah, I've heard of all kinds of things like that being done to the car.

Bb_dior

03-20-2014

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bb_dior a private message Print Post    
Trashing the Dress is a big thing now. A few of my friends have done it.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Suzanne, I think the Dugger girls will be holding hands after they are formally engaged. At least that is what I thought I heard them say a couple of weeks ago.

Suzanne_sky

08-14-2008

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suzanne_sky a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Ophiliasgrandma. I didn't know that. And I am also wondering how it's going to go with Jill (?), the one who has been talking online to that young man in India. At least I think it was India. She had asked Jim Bob if they could take a trip there to meet him in person, but it never followed up on that so far. Wow - quite a trip, right?! I am looking forward to hearing more about how that works out.

Eroica

07-28-2005

Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eroica a private message Print Post    
The daughter that went to India is now engaged. Just read it in the NY newspaper. They will have a June wedding.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 5:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I hold my breath every time there are tornados in Arkansas. I can't help but be concerned for the Dugger's safety. Yesterday pretty close to Little Rock about 18 people were killed in a small town that was pretty much distorted. The Dugger's live quite a ways NW of LR.

Alisons

01-10-2003

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alisons a private message Print Post    
Ophiliasgrandma, I thought the same thing and also checked their location. BUT, I think they were in Texas for a convention this week, anyway.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
No holding hands until you are engaged is not healthy. My husband and I saved sex for marriage, so I'm not one of those who promotes the whole getting the milk before buying the cow.

Holding hands and kissing are normal dating activities.

I hug all of my friends straight on, it's an energy exchange, it's not sexual, or even close to it.

I know that my oldest has had sex with his girlfriend before marriage. He's over 18 so he gets to make his own dating choices. They dated almost a year before they had sex. We have a rule that you have to fully love someone before you consider having sex with them. Our job is to raise them to be responsible and make good decisions. These are 20 year old adults that still have parents guarding over them.

I grew up in strict religion, kids who are too controlled or governed will eventually figure it out and some go in the opposite direction.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I don't get their whole courting style, especially in today's time. However, they do marry for life. You can't say that they are not modern though because they are educated & productive. I just think that their whole "courting" thing is about 75 yrs behind the times. Holding hands is such an early part of dating. A good night kiss is also part of early dating. I'm 56 & that was accepted behavior in my teen dating yrs. I do like the idea of young folks saving sex for marriage - I didn't. However, I didn't go past holding hands & kissing until I knew that he was the one & I knew that he considered me the one that would be our spouse. That marriage lasted 13 yrs & produced 3 kidos. Been divorced now for 26 yrs. Been living w/my wonderful guy now for 19 yrs w/getting married not going to happen. Oh, I have an insured $6500 diamond on my finger........It is what it is for me & it works.