TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 09, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Home Improvement: HGTV - Remodeling and other Shows: Archive through February 09, 2014 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am starting this thread because I get so annoyed with some of these shows and often want to say something but there isn't a thread, LOL.

So I am watching a Love It or Leave It episode and Hillary just found out that the furnace is cracked and the homeowners, naturally, think this should be her problem.

I think Hillary should have just gone on with her plans and when it is was all done, let them know that they need to replace or repair their furnace. If they decide to list it they will have to find a way to deal with it so why should Hillary have to!

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I watched an episode of Love It or Leave It where the wife insisted they get rid of their first floor bathroom and everyone advised her it was not a good idea because it would be harder to sell should they decide that. It really was not in the way, not a bad powder room one and she was a total "B" about it. They decided to sell anyway!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Panda, I saw that one and she was awful. I feel as if the producers know which way the owners are going to list and just set it up to do the remodel anyway.

Oh and I totally agree, it was really stupid to remove the powder room.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Dipo and Panda, I watch these shows often and I agree with both of you.

Pffft on the homeowners.

I really enjoy watching the two brothers.

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Property Brothers are one of my favorites. ;) I could just watch them all day. lol

I know Love It or List It is not very real. I still get into it. But, the formula is the same every time. Unexpected pitfalls and angry owners. I imagine the result is decided long before any renos are started. However, I still yell at them the same way I do the people on House Hunters.
Island Hunters was OK for one show, but then I just get irritated with them too.
More money than sense.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I used to watch Love It or List It but I would just - one time - like to see a house without any major issues so that she can really redo it. Unfortunately her style is a little too elaborate for my taste...and on Property Brothers I am always amazed at the cost of some of the furniture they buy. Personally I would ask them to put the money into the house and I would just use mostly my furniture. I would rather get more stuff done in the house and I can always buy furniture later!

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Yeah, the furniture and appliances are outrageous! I would rather gain equity in the house with my money.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Property Brothers once put in fake wood floors because they needed the $3,000 difference to put a "statement" inset into the shower tiles.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Love it of List it is too much of a formula type show....she gets her budget, runs into trouble, cant do the entire plan, people get angry and lose faith in her....blahblahblah.

Income property is my favorite....seems less staged.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Income Property is my favorite too - plus the host is just SOOOO cute!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Love it or List it seems irritatingly staged. I have a hard time watching that one. Feels extra fake to me. I do like watching the remodel shows and yes it often seems they spend money on extravagant things that could be put toward more practical things. But the transformations are fun to watch. Makes me dream of things I could do to my house!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I want to know how you go about hiring people like the Property Brothers - in other words, a real estate agent hooked up with a contractor who can then assist you with options in buying or remodeling.

Do you hire a contractor first and then find an architect or vice versa? I really wish they would clue us in on how to go about this in our areas.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I was just saying the same thing the other day! I would love to actually see a design completed as planned, it would be so nice.

Kappy, I wonder the same thing. I need help to figure out how to design my "open" concept living/dining/office/kitchen.

The other thing I would like is if they would say what town/country they are in. It would help to understand some of the prices. AND what year, please, are we talking before real estate tanked or after!

Plus the one thing I always wonder is what these people do for a living that have tons of kids and live in a million dollar house that needs so much work, LOL.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
If you need an architect then do that first, a contractor cannot bid on a job with no information. We are in the end stages of bldg a cottage and our experience was that you may need to go back and forth a bit. Contractor may point out aspects of the plan that are difficult/pricey or have his own suggestions based on past experience.

Also make sure all are local. Our architect gave us exactly the vision we conveyed and we now want to build our next home instead of buying built and will use him again but we did have a lot of revisions because he didn't know bldg codes for the site. We didn't pay for non-optional adjustments but was time consuming.

Most of these shows (which I am hooked on too) are very scripted. Some of them, I believe property Brothers but not sure, won't accept you unless you have bought a house. The whole home tours are bogus. House hunters is the same, they are often touring homes of friends and family which must be awkward with some of the negative comments.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did see on HGTV.com they did a follow-ups on some of the decisions, and a lot of the people who said list it ended up staying in their homes.

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Oh my word! Watching Love It or List It. I would never have put up with the husband for 7 years. lol I would have left his selfish butt years ago. I know this one cannot be real. No one would allow themselves to be shown like that if it is real. smh and lol

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Now, it is the end and Hillary did a fantastic job.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Carlpsmom, I know the one you were talking about and I totally agree.

I swear I do not know why I put myself through this every Saturday, LOL. Have any of these people ever heard of de-cluttering! Most of them would fit in their houses if they just got rid of all the crap they don't use or need. I imagine the producers have them clutter it up so it looks worse to begin with but it is annoying.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OH and I love Nichole Curtis' show, Rehab Addict. She is fun to watch and does great work.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Rissa - Thanks for sharing your own experience with hiring an architect and a contractor.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I swear they just said, the items that would be stored in a garage or shed have to be stored in the dining room! Buy a stupid shed!!! What is wrong with these people.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, and even I can find you the perfect home if I go $200,000 over budget and find you a million dollar home, LMAO.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
I like Rehab Addict with Nicole Curtis. I like that she is saving old houses.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, me too, I really enjoy her show.

Lyn

08-07-2002

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I love watching Leave It To Brian, but HGTV has the background music so loud, I can hardly hear what they are saying. And this isn't the only show on that network that does that... :-(