TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 25, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 25, 2013 users admin

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
Uh.......home schoolin and selling cheap cars.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
home schooling doesn't provide an education?

Six of the Duggar’s nineteen children from 19 Kids & Counting have enrolled to begin their quest for a fully accredited college degree. The education program is called CollegePlus and it’s an on-line, fully accredited system that allows students to earn their college degrees at home and graduate without a mountain of debt. The Duggar parents have been criticized for not sending their children to college, but this simply isn’t the case. Six of their older children are now enrolled in CollegePlus because it fits the family’s budget and flexibility needs. In addition, two more Duggar children have enrolled for CollegePlus college prep courses. This is great news for fans who love to follow and support the super-sized Duggar family from 19 Kids & Counting.

RELATED TOPICS

Duggar family19 Kids & Countingthe duggars
RELATED ADS
New Reality TV Show
College
Kids Kids
Anna Duggar
Advertisement

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar
Here’s what Jim Bob Duggar says about CollegePlus…

When we were considering college, we knew that the typical student ends up borrowing about $15,000-$20,000 and sometimes even more to get a college degree. When you multiply that by 10 or 20 children in our family, that would be several hundreds of thousands of dollars. That would be something our family couldn’t afford.

Michelle Duggar adds…

By using CollegePlus, we realize our children get a quality education at a fraction of the cost.

Below are the degrees currently being pursued by the Duggar children from 19 Kids & Counting:

Josh Duggar

Degree: BA Political Science
Josh is earning his Poly Sci degree for the purpose of going on to grad school to earn a law degree. While studying for his degree, Josh continues to run his car business.
Jana Duggar

Degree: Undeclared
Jana is considering a BSN degree (nursing), however, she is undeclared at the moment. She’s currently working with her personal coach, and they are going through the Life Purpose Planning phase of CollegePlus. This phase will help provide Jana with clear direction for the future, and in the meantime, she will begin completing her general education through CP.
Jill Duggar

Degree: BSN
Jill’s declared major is BSN (nursing). She’s working with her personal coach and earning all of her general education credits. Jill’s CP degree consultant is going to structure her degree template that will include on-site classes, labs and clinicals at a local regionally accredited college. While Jill is enrolled in CP, she continues to volunteer for the local fire department and other service/ministry opportunities.
Jinger and Jessa Duggar

Degree: Undeclared
Jinger and Jessa have not declared a major, however, they are going to choose between BSN (nursing) or BA Music. Both are preparing to earn their general education credit. After Jinger and Jessa declare their majors, their CP degree consultants will custom design degree tracks for each.
Joseph Duggar

Degree: Dual Credit Student
Joseph has enrolled in CP to earn dual credit while he is completing his high school studies.
Joy-Anna and Josiah Duggar

Degree: CollegePrep Students
Joy-Anna and Josiah have enrolled in CollegePrep and will be in the August 2011 Prep class. In Prep, they will be trained in critical thinking, emotional intelligence, life purpose discovery, and how to find college scholarships so they can self-finance their degrees. Joy-Anna and Josiah will earn as many as 12 college credits by the end of Prep.
More about CollegePlus:

CollegePlus students earn degrees from regionally accredited schools because this is the most accepted form of accreditation in the United States. CollegePlus only works with regionally accredited colleges and universities.
Regionally accredited schools offer CollegePlus students a wide array of opportunities from attending the graduate school of their choice, to entering the military as a commissioned officer or confidently entering the workforce.
Students who earn college credit through CollegePlus have peace of mind knowing their credits can transfer into thousands of regionally accredited institutions across the United States.
Regional accreditation also gives CollegePlus students access to scholarships and grants which reduce their dependence on student loans so they can graduate debt-free.

http://www.examiner.com/article/six-duggar-children-from-19-kids-counting-begin-college-studies

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
That's great, sometimes you get what you pay for. Probably won't matter too much, since Josh's job will probably be to continue the organizations mission against the LGBT community. Just mho.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Texannie, thank you so much for the information. They are a bright bunch of folks. I wish them all well in their future endeavors.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
They are a smart bunch! I wouldn't want their life style for myself though.

Those kids all seem to be exceptionally well mannered & intelligent. Shows you that if home schooling is done right, it can give your kids what they need to prosper in this world. Home schooling isn't the right choice for most, but Jim Bob & Michelle have seemed to master it. I still think that their kids are missing out on what most of us consider normal childhood social interaction with others their age. Yes, I know they are allowed to be exposed to other families with the same beliefs that they have. My concern is that they don't expose their kids to anything else. How will these kids react in the "real" world??

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
The whole college thing has changed, and continues to be in flux currently - it is beyond ridiculous to have such HUGE debts due to college! There are multitudes of studies of successful home schooled kids in "regular" college programs - as well as failure of kids that went to traditional public (and private) high schools -

but its for sure our current system of putting parents in huge debt so their kids can get a college degree - and NOT get a job is so out of whack! (as well as kids incruing huge amounts of debt to complete their college education!)

Scoutmom

01-19-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scoutmom a private message Print Post    
My son just graduated from college debt free. Worked a night job that had a great reimbursement program. Took him longer than most but with our help (by him living at home) he graduated debt free - so it can be done. His total costs (including books) was almost $30,000 but most was reimbursed so in all we were out of pocket about $5,000.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Congratulations to both you and your son for managing to accomplish such a thing. Wow!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Hooray for you all! I think it is terrible that young people start out in life with a crippling debt hanging over them from the educational process!

Chieko

11-20-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Worked a night job that had a great reimbursement program

I don't understand what this is.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
It means that his employer helped pay for his tuition.

Chieko

11-20-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
It means that his employer helped pay for his tuition

In exchange for what?

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
The co I work for has a tuition reimbursement program for employees. Classes are to be advantageous for the job you have with the co or for any advancement opportunities within the co that an individual is interested in. One also has to maintain at least a 3. grade average in the class to be reimbursed. Employees must be full time employed so that limits the amount of courses that can be taken at a time. But, it's a help to a lot of folks that otherwise wouldn't get any college credits because of cost. Plus, they are making an income at the same time & gaining work related exp & seniority within our co. It's a win/win! Plus, my co considers 2 yrs of co experience equal to 1 yr of college. So an emp w/no college, but 8 yrs of good employment history w/my co is qualified for promotion to a position that requires a reg. 4 yr college degree. A lot of higher mgmt. positions are filled by folks that have gotten here this way. Myself, I've been w/my co for 17 yrs & I have some college so it's been a great fit for me.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
My husbands company does it as well. They have to sign an agreement that they'll stay with the company for three years after they graduate college (as well as keeping up the gpa.) They pay 90% of it. Darren finished his Bachelor's two years ago and is planning on going back for his Masters which the company will pay for as well (if I remember right, they pay a little less for the Masters and the employee has to sign on for another year or two.) It's great for someone like him who has no intention of leaving the company, just wants to advance into higher management.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 5:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
most companies i have worked for (even way back in the 80's right out of college LOL) did tuition reimbursement.

Chieko

11-20-2003

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Thank you for all of the responses. I had only heard of this in connection with some government jobs.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My niece homeschooled her son this past year. He is severely dyslexic and has numerous other issues - I don't quite understand but it has to do with comprehending what he sees in a book (especially with numbers) and translating it into being able to do the equations, etc. The school district in her town fought her for years to test him for dyslexia (which is against the law in the state of Texas by the way) and she finally was able to get him tested at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, which forced them to put him in their dyslexic program. Unfortunately the program is only through 6th grade (again, illegal - they would classify him as "special needs" and put him in a classroom with their mentally challenged students whose ability to learn is severely limited - Zeke is able to learn but needs to learn in a different manner), so she started homeschooling him this past year on a course of study that follows the cirriculum of his school district, and he has thrived. She's very disciplined so I think other than being able to do schoolwork in his pjs (on the days when he doesn't have to be in an on-line class...LOL...she makes him dress for those) his life isn't that different - plus since he is doing this particular course of study he could always try out for any of the sports programs or bands maintained by his local school district.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Congratulations to your niece, Roxip. I'm dyslexic and two of our kids were, so I know how you have to fight with schools for them to do right by your kids.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thank goodness the latest candidate the Duggars are on the road supporting is behind in the polls. About 10 points behind. Yet another Candidate that wants contraception outlawed.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/TVs-Duggar-Family-Meets-With-Cuccinelli-on-Campaign-Tour-227865761.html

The Duggars live in Arkansas, but they are on the road campaigning for a Virginia governor candidate solely because he wants contraception outlawed.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I guess to be more accurate would say that in the past he has supported banning of birth control. Because as soon as he started running for Governor, Cuccinelli got off the subject to try to draw in more centrists. Not gonna work.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Josh Duggar stated in the above linked article:

'"Our goal is to encourage faith, family and freedom," said Josh Duggar in a video released by FRC Action.'

My guess is that the freedom he is talking about is the "freedom" to have children whether you want them or not. Or perhaps it's the "freedom" to live your life the way his group wants you to. I have no problem with people living their lives according to their own religious beliefs, but I do have a BIG problem when they try to push those beliefs on others.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I purposely posted a "nice" article rather a critical article. I think most of us that pay attention to the national news understand what Cuccinelli is about. I can't say it enough that I am so happy he is going to lose.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
while I'm amazed at this Duggar family, they DO NOT live like the bulk of America do. I don't judge them for their life choices, nor they judge the bulk of America. They can support all of these kids in a big part because they are "different" from most of us & we're interested in following their lives out of curiosity. Come on, you have to realize that the biggest part of their income is coming in from TLC!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I can't figure out how one word of you said, Deb, has anything to do with them going to anther state supporting a ridiculous candidate. Unless you mean they did it for "show" to have something for their reality show?

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Just a refresher, the last campaign they participated in was Rick Santorum's. Another national anti-contraception politician.