TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 13, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: 19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Family: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 13, 2013 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I think Michelle will probably not be giving birth to any more children. But I understand they may be adopting. Good for them!

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
But until one of the Duggars writes a Mommy Dearest tell-all, I will continue to trust that they are a decent, loving, prodictive family, regardless of the (shocking) amount of offspring that keep popping up.

They don't have to be of the "Mommy Dearest" kind to stifle those children. I want to see what will happen if one of them wants to go to a public school, on to college and have a career other than selling used cars or being a midwife. What will happen if one of them wants to be a doctor or a lawyer? Suppose one of them wants to pursue a television/movie career? Would they be permitted to leave the cozy nest and move to the big city? Suppose one wants to marry outside of their community?

IMO, the only paths open to them are to become exactly like their parents. That is likely fine with most of them, but would it be fine with them if they had been more exposed to the rest of the world - the one most of us live in? Being confined to only one set of beliefs and values while associating only with people of like beliefs is very cult like.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
so if we grow up with basically the same values as our parents, we are brainwashed? a son follows his father's footstep and becomes a doctor, is he brainwashed? what about a daughter who follows in her mother's footsteps and becomes a hairstylist?

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
At one time, I think I saw an article with some or all of the kids saying what career they wanted when they grow up. Maybe it was on their website or TLC's website. I think Josh said he wanted to be a lawyer.

The following is just an article. I have not heard or seen anything from the Duggars that this is true:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithgoespop/2013/03/josh-duggar-says-hes-moving-to-dc-to-work-in-politics/

http://www.frc.org/wwlivewithtonyperkins/jonathan-cahn-heather-johnston-josh-duggar

I did not listen to the interview. I do not in any way like that Josh is associated with frc,(well, maybe not associated with, but he did the interview) an organization that thinks it's ok to discriminate against others. (they are anti gay) That is damaging and backward thinking.

Here's a bit more:
http://www.eonline.com/news/398273/19-kids-and-counting-s-josh-duggar-in-talks-to-join-family-research-council-glaad-slams-dangerous-hate-group

A spokesman for the FRC confirmed that they have met with Josh Duggar, the eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and a father of two (with one on the way) himself, about an executive position with their lobbying arm, FRC Action.
"We greatly appreciate Josh and the Duggar family for their devotion to the pro-family movement," J.P. Duffy, VP of communications for the FRC, told E! News. "This is why we have talked to Josh about the position. We have talked to him as well as other candidates but no decision has been made."
Duggar, 25, participated in ProLifeCon, the FRC's annual pro-life social-media forum, back in January.

If it's true, it seems he is associated with that terrible group.

Seabreeze

09-05-2004

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seabreeze a private message Print Post    
I think the kids have been exposed to many cultures and people. They are well traveled and have served people in many countries.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I have heard Michelle say many times how important she feels it is for her children to have a servants heart.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I wish i was able to take my kids to as many places as they have.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had to hold my breath when they were Tokyo. I thought for sure they'd lose a kid or two on those crowded streets. That buddy system they use works pretty well.

I hope the show last a long time as I would like to see how most of the kids grow up and what they do in life.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
so if we grow up with basically the same values as our parents, we are brainwashed? a son follows his father's footstep and becomes a doctor, is he brainwashed? what about a daughter who follows in her mother's footsteps and becomes a hairstylist?

Of course not, if they have been exposed to and were permitted to follow other paths. I have a wealthy cousin who has a son who wanted to be a carpenter. She insisted that he go to college, law school and pass the bar before he "gives up" and becomes a carpenter. He is now a lawyer in his father's practice. It's very sad because he has no time to do his wood work and he did beautiful work before he had to give it up. He now looks at it as his youthful folly dream, but I see it as brainwashing and a giant waste.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
brainwashing seems like such a strong word. as parents we try to help our kids make good choices. sure, we have our biases. we also have our fears. we worry if a child chooses something like carpentry they may not find work. is it wrong to want stability? but was your cousin told he would never be allowed to be in the family if he became a carpenter? he certainly had to go to class. it takes a tremendous amount of effort to pass the bar. hard to do if you are unmotivated.
i wanted to be a famous tap dancer, studied dance for years. realized that while i was good, i would never make a career at it. is that realism, brainwashing or youthful folly?

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was always on the fence about them, but I think the one thing put me off about them for good is their intense association with Rick Santorum. They have even brought the entire family along the campaign trail with Santorum.

It's fine to have your own personal and political beliefs, but on their show they have said many times that they don't judge how others live their lives. But to me, their supporting Rick Santorum means they do judge and they do want it forced on others to live by their religious beliefs. Santorum is one of the politicians that goes way beyond "pro life". He thinks even contraception should be illegal.

The Duggars don't drink, so they start protests against liquor stores opening, or against business owners getting liquor licenses for their existing businesses.

They absolutely do want to force their way of thinking and life on others, and that's what I don't like.

And please don't take this wrong :-(. If someone doesn't drink and doesn't want to take contraception, that's fine. But forcing others to that way of life is not fine with me.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
but in a way don't we all do that? we say we want people to have their own views, but when we vote, don't we vote for someone who has our same views and pursues our same goals?
do we just say we are for something or against something, but not advocate for or against it?

Seabreeze

09-05-2004

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seabreeze a private message Print Post    
I'm pro life. So, Naja, you could say that I am forced to follow the liberal agenda. They are trying to make religious provide insurance coverage of areas that are against their beliefs. I don't drink and drive and yet drunk drivers can hurt me. We all affect each other. You can't say the other side is not allowed to want their desires, too. Even if the Duggars align with politicians who support their views, that is their right. And even if elected, politicians uphold the laws, even ones they don't believe in. So, in your case, Santorum can't go against the laws.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sorry Tex, I don't see it that for "moral" issues. For example, letting gay couples get married has no bearing my own marriage.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am not starting a political conversation here. <77>

I stated my opinion about the Duggars, not anybody else, knowing them through their show and news. I don't know any of you here personally.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
not sure i understand what you are saying naja in your pos to me.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Tex, I missed one word in the first sentence of my post to you. It should have read "I don't see it that way for "moral" issues". Then I used an example to show what I meant.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i am slow, still missing it naja! LOL my point was don't we all tend to vote for those who support our beliefs? so wouldn't it be natural for the duggars to advocate for those whose beliefs they share?

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Tex, really? You can't see how on their show the Duggars say they don't judge how others live, yet they want contraception and alcohol illegal.... Isn't that telling others how to live? Please, Tex, you have to understand what I am saying.

Done posting on the subject.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
To a certain extent the government tells people how to live. For example, when the United States decided to go to war against Iraq it wasn't like people could pick and choose. It was decided for them. The government tells me that I have to stop at red lights. If I don't stop I get into trouble. And so on. Fortunately, in countries like America and Canada the public has influence through who they vote for and who they try to get elected.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I thought I posted clearly that I was talking "moral" laws. What you just posted abut has nothing to do with what I posted about. Stopping at red lights has nothing to do with morality. IE: contraception.

And to be honest, I am shocked you just posted about that, Jimmer.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Does war have anything to do with morality?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the Duggars and I don't share their beliefs on many issues. I don't care how they live their life.

All I am saying is that the government regulates many aspects of our lives. How old we need to be to drive a car. How old we need to be to drink. When we fight in wars. And so on.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh let me add that generally speaking, unless someone is harming someone else through their actions, I think that the government should stay out of people's personal lives. But in a way that is a belief in itself so I feel a little awkward for me to have that belief and yet feel that other people can't believe differently. It is a bit of a conundrum. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
So you think it's fine for the Duggars to stop contraception and alcohol drinking for their community WHATSOEVER? (ummmm, no age law) That's what I am talking about, Jimmer. I'm not trying to span it out to international whatever like you are doing.
<77>

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
As I stated previously, I think that the less the government involves itself in people's personal lives the better. But everyone has somewhat different views on where that involvement should start and end.

For example, most people agree that little children shouldn't consume alcohol and it is a fact that the government already does regulate who can drink and smoke. For example, they have arbitrarily decided that Americans should be 21 before drinking. In Ontario it is 19. In Quebec 18. In New York you can't serve drinks before noon on Sunday. In Canada you can. And so on.

I don't enjoy the Duggars (or anyone) telling anyone how to live but I think they have the right to state their opinion even if I disagree with it.

The funny thing is I think we more or less agree on this whole thing. :-)