TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through February 11, 2012 users admin

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Here's a press release with the celebs who will be profiled this season...

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/01/06/nbc-announces-the-celebrities-tracing-their-family-trees-on-season-three-of-who-do-you-think-you-are-premiering-february-3-805412/20120106nbc04/

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Good line-up!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Can't wait to see these people's stories. It would be great if they had some kind of contest to do a search on someone who watches the show!

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
Wow.. sounds awesome.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Video preview here:

http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/video/preview-the-stories-from-season-3/1381066

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I posted on this in News and Views, wanted to link the article here because it's so interesting to the genealogically minded:

President John Tyler still has two living GRANDSONS

Link is to The Daily Mail Online.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Paula Deen? That poor woman sure is over exposed in the press, and is getting some really bad press lately...

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Did anyone see this last night? I'm going to watch it on Hulu if I can, I was at a business dinner late in the evening.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just finished it this second! It was Martin Sheen, who had roots in Ireland and Spain.

One thing I didn't like, although I understand the necessity of it, they went into the story of one of his uncles. It was an interesting story, but somehow it doesn't mean as much if it's not a direct ancestor.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Watched it on Hulu, I agree Kitt. I love the stories, but the direct descendancy issue bothered me - they could have used this episode to illustrate the difficulties of Irish research. It SUCKS. Seriously, they kept very few records. He's lucky his uncle was a revolutionary, otherwise all he'd have was a picture.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I like this show. I guess if your direct relatives don't have interesting stories it's fun to hear about distant ones that do. So, I don't really mind the stories about aunts and uncles.

Interesting that Ireland is hard to research. Both sides of my tree go through Ireland and my distant relatives had hit dead ends there. Disappointing!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I didn't mind it because they were so closely related. A sibling of a parent would definitely have an effect on the family dynamic. I get more irked when it's the 2nd cousin of a GGGgrandparent's sister-in-law's half-brother etc just so they can show a connection to royalty or someone infamous.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Although I missed the ep, (what else is new, sigh) ITA it's way more interesting if it's a (relatively) close relative than some farfetched branch of the 'family' tree.

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Well if it weren't for my great uncles and aunts leaving records behind. I wouldn't know much about my direct ancestry. Collateral lines are important when doing genealogy research. They are the siblings of your direct ancestors and their descendants might well hold the family treasures that can give you clues on your own line.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
I'm going to have to go to hulu. I missed the epi with Martin Sheen

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
I found it fascinating..and I had a thought of why Don Diego would pursue that young woman criminally? Could she have been another one of his "women"? It was an interesting show. I have always admired and liked Martin.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
okay i was hoping someone else had posted about the Tomei episode first.

its been on tv so this isnt spoiling.

i know that Marissa wanted her great granddad to be the innocent party but seriously, it was Two against one and the shooter had been beaten by them earlier.

the brothers from Elba were setting up business on the mainland, the Shooter was running it. Then they tried to oust him for supposed "disloyalty".

add the humiliating charges, the previous beating and the presence of manhandling on the day in question, no wonder the shooter got off.

The brother was there too. The guy was heard to say One down (or something similar). these means that there were witnesses. what would interest me is the court transcripts. Before claiming it was a Fix by good lawyers, there are other considerations.... such as WHY there was this attack at a restaurant on a coworker.

business is conducted in private, not bushwacking someone , two to one, on the street.

i found it most telling that the family legend was that the Great grandfather was shot for fooling around or owing someone money. Later we find out that the shooter had a LARGE sum of money on him. This also is a motive for the brothers to be coming after him on the street. IF the victim was an Innocent victim, the family lore would not have had him as the bad guy (cheater/ bad business?)

another good example of the family being shadey is the sneaking of the grandfather?? into America as an illegal immigrant.

since the shooter needed to leave the area since the victim had family, he must have that money that he was carrying. I didnt take it as unusual for the guy to make sure he was going to get the unused balance back. He lost his business and most of the money in legal fees, I think this court case would have come down to witnesses.

too bad we couldnt access the entire court file online and then Discuss the details

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
It wasn't the "shooter", Lazaratti (sp?), who was ousted for disloyalty. The "shooter" fired Leopoldo's brother, Tito, for disloyalty. So Leopoldo was said to be defending his family's honor. I don't know that there was any innocent person in this case, but "the shooter" wasn't quite the victim you're making him out to be. The story made me think of the days of duels - lots of bad things done in the name of family honor.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Right, it was the brother of the great-grandfather that was fired for disloyalty. And the great grandfather beat up the shooter. I don't recall that it said it was 2 on 1, just that it was a huge offense to be struck in the face. The shooting sounded like revenge more than self defense. And yes, it reminds me of the old west where people fought over family honor and the law just kind of let them get away with it as a way to settle things up between families.

I really enjoy this show. Just fascinating.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, Lazzareschi accused Leopoldo's brother Tito of disloyalty and fired him. They fought over it to defend the family's honour and one of them hit Lazzareschi in the face, dishonouring him back.

Then, a couple of days later by the sound of it, they fought again and Lazzareschi shot Leopoldo in the back at point blank range.

They must really have been the best lawyers in town to get Lazzareschi off scot free for shooting someone in the back!

Really interesting show this week!

eta: Brenda nipped in while I was in the editor, didn't mean to repeat the facts again!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
If it was two against one and they are fighting in the street, it is very possible that the man fired in the general direction of his two opponents and wasn't even aiming specifically at the one who got shot. Two brothers, one turning around to talk to the other just as the shot went off? Like Sun posted... it would be nice to read the entire transcript.

What I find more interesting is that family legend has the dead guy as the one in the wrong (although they didn't have the specifics correct). Wouldn't family instinct be to make him the hero in the story? Interesting that they didn't.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wonder if that was because they would have known the court found it was self defense, plus the original "disloyalty" charge for the brother.

They did say he shot him at point blank range, but I agree, it could have been in a scuffle and the gun just went off. Sounds very dodgy though, and when the guy can buy the best lawyers in town it adds a bit of suspicion on the shooter I think. Guess we'll never know!

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
we only have what was said during the show to go on. the Italian guy said that they were well known lawyers. it could easily be misinterpretation to say "the best in town". From what i understood, the guy said that they were well known and reputable. there was no direct evidence that they were crooked lawyers.

my point was that OJ example was flawed since there were no witnesses and no prior beatings documented when OJs ex was murdered

as for the disloyalty charge, its interesting that i got completely the opposite impression. i thought the guy who was the original owner was asked to leave AFTER the elba bros took over. they claimed disloyalty. Like i say, i'll have to relisten to that part.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
found a write up. One year later, he faced a charge of carrying a concealed weapon, and asked for the money back that he had on his person the night of the murder.

another example of how i heard things differently. the italian investigator said that this charge of the gun was brought up on appeal. it was the only thing he was charged with. the murder charge was thrown out.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I think you heard right Sun, or at least I heard it the same. During the appeal(which happened about a year after the death) the charge of murder was reduced to gun possession and at the conclusion of that event he requested the return of the money he had had in his pocket when arrested (minus the court costs and fine). They made it sound like how dare he ask for his money back when he had killed someone. But I thought it a reasonable request and not the strange, out of the ordinary event they were trying to make it out to be.