TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 19, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XVI: Auditions: Archive through March 19, 2018 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I think there is a difference between flirting and harassment, I do think that the amount of hugging on this show can go over the line. It would better to say woman flirting is accepted more than men, although I don't think that is true, maybe even opposite.

I never liked when Jlo was all about the guys and pretty dismissive of women. I think Katy has other issues of over the top-ness.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Some of Katie’s flirting is connected to her fans, wig, for instance, some is over the top, but I wonder how much is shown, how much is cut, they must have some very long days.

They haven’t been showing much of Seacrest have they? And how did you like that Macy’s commercial! Right in the middle, the girl in The sparkly cat suit, who gets praised for her outfit, do you...you’re auditioning, you stand out..she gets the golden ticket runs around in catsuit... then is shown in denim pants at Macy’s? Are they giving her a makeover? WTH? It was so odd to me!

I’ll add I did look up spoilers for top 24,etc... so I can watch each contestant with a bit of background knowledge. I sure can’t remember names afterwards though! So no spoilers here, no need.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm so out of the American Idol loop that I forgot you could look up spoilers!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Not sure why the dancer from Venezuela made it, wasn't impressed with her singing. Lionel is the only judge I really like so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kar, yes, funny but not.. And it can encourage young guys who may run into trouble if they see that as a come on..

I wasn't impressed with the dancer's dancing or singing.

Yes! Luke gets a look like he smells poop, but I think he is just concentrating.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I only saw one audition. Guy had a girlfriend waiting in the wings, but said he had a lifelong crush on Katie. She absolutely swooned over him, telling him how good looking he was. I thought it was awkward and inappropriate.

Girlfriend came in when they sent him through and planted a big kiss on his lips. Marking her territory?

Like I said. Awkward.

Yes, I understand the difference. But this should be a professional environment and talk about looks should be off limits.

Imagine if one of the two male judges started talking about how beautiful one of the female auditioners looked and how he'd like to go out with her. See what I mean?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that if we are requiring equality for men and women, Katy’s behavior is inappropriate, confusing and hypocritical. But the fact is that most guys aren’t offended by this sort of thing so there is no victim.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I did think the flirting was a little over the top with the guy with the girlfriend...but I suspect Katie had already been told he had a huge crush on her and I also suspect that it was set up so it would look exactly like it did...not everybody's girlfriend gets to burst in and plant a huge one on her honey's lips as they get their golden ticket.

Loved the sweet guy on crutches...I was tearing up right along with Katie and the girlfriend. Yes, I know they are playing with my emotions but I'm alright with that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I can't speak for most women OR most men, but I personally don't enjoy watching people being fawned over in comparison to others.

When I was in elementary school it was common for the teachers, 90% were female, to call on the boys, to cut them more slack if they were disruptive and back then of course they also though girls shouldn't think much about a career.

I wasn't the only one who was uncomfortable with that situation.

And today, go to a senior lunch for a holiday and the entertainment usually is geared to... Flirting with the old men.

Some love it, others, not so much.

But mostly, present day on this show, the actual singing is taking a back seat at times.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think that there have been some really great singers sent to Hollywood. I also believe that when we get to Hollywood the chaff will be weeded out...right now they have to make the audition shows interesting to catch the interest of the viewers for the run of the show and get them to invest in the contestants. Whether they are doing an effective job or not remains to be seen.

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, "the sweet guy on crutches"? I watched both nights. How did I miss him? I did FF through the story on most of them. Which night was he on?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought this was pertinent to the discussion we were having. I think it was very disrespectful.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/katy-perry-kiss-american-idol_us_5aa93314e4b018e2f1c3a73f

Man Katy Perry Kissed On ‘American Idol’ Says He Didn’t Like It
“I wanted my first kiss to be special.”

“Have you kissed a girl and liked it?” “American Idol” judge and country singer Luke Bryan asked, referencing Perry’s famous song from 2008.

“No, I’ve never been in a relationship. I can’t kiss a girl without being in a relationship,” Glaze answered, as Perry’s eyes widened and she exclaimed, “Really?”

“Come here,” Perry beckoned repeatedly as the other judges ― Bryan and singer Lionel Richie ― egged them on. Bryan got out his phone to take pictures, while Glaze, expressing disbelief, walked over to Perry.

“What, on the cheek?” Glaze said, glancing back at the cameras before he kissed the singer on her cheek.

“You didn’t even make the ‘smush’ sound,” she said, directing Glaze to give her a second kiss on the cheek. When he moved in to kiss her, Perry quickly turned her head and kissed him on the lips. Glaze, shocked and smiling, fell down

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Finally got to watch the first two shows. Wasn't too interested since Katie Perry was one of the judges. LOVE all the judges. Katie is a wonderful surprise...what a sweetheart. IMO, her flirting was more compassion than passion to put the singers at ease. She is much more relatable than I thought she was going to be.

Lionel...pure, unadulterated class...a genius beyond compare. He was so interested in each and every performer; which, I'm sure, put them at ease. What a respectful gentleman.

Luke..well, that adorable, sweet hottie can do no wrong in my book.

I forgot his name but my standout was the handsome, 6' 4" "in boots", high schooler with the best smile. Anybody know his name? Also, how many shows before the finalists are announced?

IMO, just in two nights, Idol had more interesting, memorable performances than The Voice and they have picked all their teams at The Voice.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Mr. Glaze walked up to kiss Katie Perry on the cheek...I guess that wouldn't have been special. Oh well, manufactured television drama.

Garrett Jacobs, I believe, is the name of the tall high school boy. He is absolutely a heartthrob. And he loves his grandma "Honey - because she's just so sweet."

The guy with the crutches (David Francisco - looked it up) (he had been t-boned while riding his bicycle in Nashville and was paralyzed for a while) was at the end of the 2nd show. During his recovery he reconnected with a girl he had known (I assume from high school or college) and now they are so sweet together.

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
Turns out, I hadn't finished watching the second episode. Still had the last 20 minutes to go.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I can't tell you how many times I start watching a show and wake up to see that it is finished...so then I have to rewind to get back to the last thing I remember...and then I will fall asleep again!

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Roxip, thanks! Yes, he is absolutely a heartthrob! Boyish charm galore. I can see all the girls voting for him...I know I will. :-)

Also, thanks for the backstory of David Francisco.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
So many talented people. No favorites yet.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
The guy that was kissed by Katie Perry talked to a reporter. He basically said he was surprised, but wasn’t mad at anyone, he doesn’t consider that his first kiss, but a Katy Perry kiss, he then said he’s had his first kiss and we met his girlfriend.

Can I just say if you played a drinking game, drink every time Katie Perry says, “you’re top ten materiall”. Or. “I see you in top ten”. I think you’ll make top ten,,,, I mean, it’s annoying me! So then I thought about the drinking game! 😂. Now I should add, she has had her doubts on a few that they may not make it, but she wants to see...

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I teared up about the girl that went out of her way to make friends with the boy that has down's syndrome.

I thought she sounded better singing the Katy Perry song with him than the song she sang alone for her audition.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
She was a classic case of a voice that doesn't match her appearance. She has this old soul bluesy-type voice and a wholesome farm girl appearance. It was surprising in a good way. She seems like a lovely person.

I was surprised that the girl who had only sung karaoke was as good as she was too.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I find that there are too few auditions with too much judges and too much back story, I cant watch, have to tape and fast forward and get through it in about 1/2 hour.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Last night I was facing to keep My DVR from maxing out and with this show I got so bitter down it back stories that I just deleted.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I tend to fast forward through stuff on AI that I don't care about. It makes watching two hours go a lot faster.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yep, I was doing that and realized I just didn't care.

I may be more interested later in the season.