TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 17, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XIV: 2015 top 12 to the end: Archive through April 17, 2015 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
there are ways of using tweeting positively - you can tweet the best of the show and give a money or prize award each show
You can tweet once a week for fan favorite and give an award at the end of the series, maybe get then a showcase on another show like good day live r some other FOX show. Too bad that Glee is going, that would have been a good place for a show case performance.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yep, worth it as their ratings drop.

Actually maybe their target demographic is composed or people who are retired at don't go out a lot, people who don't work outside the home or work where they can be watching tv "live" and students with light schedules.. plus east coast people home for their prime time.

For me what it encourages is apathy. I simply am not going to be at home by 5pm and find a way to watch.. or more likely, spoil myself online and then rush to vote without even seeing or hearing the performances.

But then, I bet they get lots of people on the east coast who are just retweeting their friends and favorite celebs posts that include #SAVERAYVON or whoever is up against him. So they get their suspense, in many cases from people who may never even watch the show, or even record the show.

I did watch, but had already been spoiled, so I watched Survivor a bit delayed and this show later.

I think so called social media it enabling more isolation than togetherness, online and offline.

Facebook has affected every online community I loved and some of those are no more.

We used detailed spoiling here and elsewhere, and now I have to go to Twitter for results.

OK, need to shake it off, things to do.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought Harry put Quentin in an awful position last night. It was clear Quentin meant it was "whack" that those two were at the bottom, and for Harry to twist it and suggest (loudly) that he was disrespecting the show was so unfair. Judges moan about who's in the bottom two all the time!

And then what's Quentin to do? He either says nothing which kind of makes it seem like Harry's right, or he shouts from where he is, which is impolite, or he politely goes up to Harry to explain, which can easily be twisted to be an aggressive move. Then the quips later on about them thinking he was going to hit someone. Just really bad in so many ways all round.

I gave him 20 votes online just because I was so angry at them, even though he was one of the weakest in his first song (second was excellent). And I think Harry should issue an apology.

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
I agree with you Kit, re: Harry. And, I thought Quentin handled it very well. His reply to Ryan when he said they thought he was going to hit Harry was good too. "I was raised way better than that".

Spoton

09-16-2005

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
I thought it was very inconsiderate of Quentin to express out load that it was "wack" that those 2 were bottom. The other contestants are part of this contest, too, plus it is up to the viewers, not a "don't vote off my friends" show. Bad place to throw a hissy. At least he apologized .

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes that always gets me too. It's a real insult to the other contestants and their fans. It's not like there are fifty of them left and this was some oversight.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well Joey is his best friend, and it was hardly a hissy! He was keeping quiet until Ryan needed filler and asked him what he thought. He could have phrased it better for sure, but ask an emotional 20 year old a question and you'll get an emotional answer.

On the other hand Harry should have known so much better. He's the professional! Even if people thought is was wrong of Quentin to say those two shouldn't be in the bottom two (something the judges say just about every other week) it was clear that he wasn't criticising the show or disrespecting his position in it, he was just commenting on the bottom two. For Harry to single out a contestant just for drama (or if I give him the benefit of the doubt, because he misheard what was said) is so unprofessional. Did he think Quentin should just have sat there and taken it, just when his position in the show is up for the vote, even though it was a complete misrepresentation of what he said? I think Quentin's response was the only option he had, he was polite and respectful, while being firm.

And don't get me started on Ryan's angry black man bit! Until tonight Quentin's been nothing but cool and hippy, the worst he did was be upset his best friend might be going home.

It was all just so horrible. I still can't believe it. Guess I'm in the minority though. The comments sections of most AI boards are full of nasty anti-Quentin racist crap.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, Idol is for contestant manipulation if nothing else. Isn't that one of our constant criticisms? they need the drama and the sob stories?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sure. Nothing about these shows is about creating a superstar anymore. That includes shows like The Voice. It's all about emotion and sob stories. Particularly disgraceful for a show that claims to be about "the voice" but disgraceful for AI as well.

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
Kitt- I agree with you. It was so impulsive and very unprofessional of Harry to assume what he thought Quentin meant. He humiliated Quentin, and Quentin showed such respect when he approached Harry. Quentin's mom should be proud of her son!

I love Quentin's voice. I would love to hear him sing some real rock songs-like something from Alter Bridge. I think he has a beautiful range like Miles Kennedy. I am just so sick of the same music year after year.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Having seen it after reading all the social media comments, I didn't see it as all that big a deal by either Quentin or Harry. I think social media these days blows these things all out of proportion.

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, Harry suggested that Quentin could leave the competition..Harry jumped to conclusions. It can and probably has affected the voting process because of what Harry said.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It definitely affected the voting process. The only consolation is that Quentin is one of the weakest left now, so if/when he goes it isn't entirely wrong, it just leaves such a horrible taste in the mouth to have it done this way.

I really think Harry should apologise next show, say he watched the show again, listened to what Quentin said and realised he misunderstood. It's the very least Quentin deserves.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Everything the judges say influences the competition in some manner. Harry was complimentary to him after his second performance (as he was after his first). If Quentin is going to respond by being grumpy and miserable about how the fans have voted (which he clearly was when all this started) then he has to accept that there may be consequences. Stars have some latitude when it comes to having grumpy moments because people have seen what they can do and how they have performed for some time. People who are just starting out don't have that luxury.

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
I beg to differ, Jimmer. Harry critisized the first song by saying the band basically buried him, and the second song he made comments about his pitch.

Quentin is a young man. He is at the age where they do and say foolish things. He expressed how he felt and Harry took it the wrong way. Kitt is right, Harry should apologize. He accused Quentin of disrespecting the show, and how dare he do that, and that he could leave. Quentin did none of that.

I am a mom and I knew what Quentin meant when he said that it sux. He was voicing his disapointment after being coached by Ryan.

I don't know what social media has said about this. I am going by what I saw on tv.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Don't even look on social media, Rubyroo, most are on Harry's side and say Quentin had a tantrum, and the comments underneath are mostly racist evilness. One of the ones I read the day after was something like "what did you all expect? T.H.U.G. Thug!" That was the point I decided that it probably wasn't a good thing to look online.

Jimmer, if Quentin was grumpy, and the consequence he is getting was that people didn't like him grumpy, that would be one thing. But that's not what happened. He looked grumpy but was trying to mind his own business, then Ryan asked him what he thought and it all snowballed.

Harry basically told him he should leave for disrepecting the show by calling the show whack when he DIDN'T disrespect the show or call the show whack forcing him to either take it and have people thinking he had disrespected the show, or explain himself some way, which at that time (as he'd gone back to the chairs) involved either shouting or going up to Harry. That's a horrible situation to put someone in, particularly when the person who put him in that position was in the wrong to begin with!

And then we had Ryan later on saying he thought Quentin was going to hit Harry!

So many degrees of wrong, and Quentin's only part in it was to be upset that his friend was likely to go home.

I'm just so shocked that more people don't see it the same way. I should probably stop checking this thread for a while or you're all going to get fed up of me.

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
Kitt-you are 100% correct and please don't be discouraged. I saw the same thing you did. I showed my son and he saw the same thing. Tonight I will show my husband who does not watch the show, and let you know what he says.

Somehow I feel if it was one of the female contestants that said it, Harry would not have said anything.

Harry is so pompous, I wish he would be replaced. I hate when everyone claps including the other judges and he just sits there. He is so rude.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, I kind of agree with the theory that Quentin was upset with the criticism. But used his friend leaving as a cover because it never goes over well to be upset with the criticism, he just did not express it well. Harry has been criticizing Quentin, not unfairly but more often. Now pretty much everyone had their off key moments but you will not hear that about Clark and about Jax, you will hear it about the others, and now that Qaassim, the always off key has left, I assume we will hear it about those not favored as much. Like, with all the running around, Jax was out of breath on some notes and way off key on others, but it was buried in activity and by the loud band, but no one will ever mention it. I even winced at some Clark notes this week. What was strange is that almost the whole song of the sounds of silence was off key and yet that was barely mentioned probably because of the earlier argument. it was painful to my ears. Noon river had a lot of flat places and was just plain dull - I think that was what Harry was getting at with chords, but he was being way to nice about it.

Here is the thing - Ryan started it and pushed Quentin to say something when h was not going to, Quentin used bad phrasing, Harry jumped on it, I really think he wants Quentin gone next.
If you are a contestant you have to watch out for these traps and just say nothing no matter how pushed - it is always a trap and Ryan always springs it. Harry hurt his own reputation on this over reaction.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Quentin was upset and angry. That was clear as could be. Then Ryan asked him about it and Quentin said "this whole thing is whack". So what exactly was Quentin thinking was whack? You say it wasn't the show. Okay. So he is thinking that the fans are whack? What about the other contestants that he obviously thinks should be in the bottom two instead. How does that make them feel? Is that better?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3KDWt9gXI

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
I don't know what to tell you Jimmer- I knew exactly what Quentin was referring to. I knew he wasn't referring to the show. As he stated-what sucked was that his 2 good friends were up for elimination. It was immature at best, but he meant nothing disrespectful like "biting the hand that feeds you" as Harry stated. Harry blew it up! Harry should not have assumed what he thought Quentin meant...he should have chose his words more carefully. Quentin is still young and immature. Harry is a father...he should know how to talk to young people.

I honestly believe that Quentin wasn't thinking of the show or the fans when he said it sucked. I think he was just upset about his friends..that's it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I watched again, I see it exactly the same as I did, in fact I'm even more upset because Harry even checks to see that he's still on live tv! I missed that first time round!

I don't think it's anything to do with the criticism, it's all to do with Joey, he makes it absolutely clear that he's talking about the bottom two and Harry just decides to have a go.

Now people (just watched last night's Extra and it's all on there too) are saying that
1. Quentin disrespected the show - he didn't
2. that he "stormed" over towards Harry to reply - matter of interpretation, and as I've said before, he didn't have much choice but let it go or walk over to Harry
3. that it looked like there was going to be a fight - not to me or anyone who didn't think a black man stating his point is a threat
And Harry repeated that Quentin disrepected the show in the after show interviews even after hearing and appearing to accept Quentin's explanation.

It's just sad that this happened to any contestant. They're young, they're inexperienced, they make friendships and then unexpectedly and suddenly have to break them, most have no experience in public speaking and they all have a huge amount riding on it. And it's especially sad that it happened to a young black man, who are criticised so easily if they dare to be anything but happy or meek.

In Quentin's case he was in the final three on the couches, he was probably sure he was in the bottom two as Joey is a much better singer than him, he then finds out the good thing - he's safe - and the bad thing - Joey's in the bottom two - and has to sing his song as best he could. He does that, politely listens to criticism, all he did wrong was look upset. He does not make any comment on anything, he knows better!

Then Ryan asks him how's he's feeling, he says he's good.

Ryan asks what's on his mind, Quentin simply says "this sucks."

Ryan asks THREE more times what sucks before Quentin replies!!

Quentin makes it clear it's the bottom two that's whack. He even politely included Rayvon in what sucks, when he's probably mostly concerned with Joey.

And then suddenly it's Quentin's fault for speaking out of turn, his fault for responding to Ryan and saying what he feels, and worse than that, told to leave the show by Harry over something he didn't even say.

Ryan asked Quentin FIVE times overall to say something before he did. You could tell he had no intention of doing anything but going back to his seat. Ryan pushed him to say something for drama. Harry deliberately or not misinterpreted what he said and told him he can leave the show.

All Quentin said was it was whack that those two were the bottom two. That's all you can fault him for. Whether that's a good or bad thing to say I don't know, but it's the same thing the judges say week after week.

The whole thing's just a little soul destroying.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What Kitt said.. that is what I saw the first time and reviewing it again.

This is the link I posted much earlier in the thread and they saw it the same way I did, including Harry saying "oh good" that they hadn't gone to commercial, I guess so he could have airtime with his lecture. If he actually cared about mentoring, as he tried to imply, he would have spoken to Quentin afterwards, off camera.

CLICK THE LINK

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
This whole thing is totally blown out of proportion as is everything these days on social media. People hating on Quentin. People hating on Harry. It's a feeding frenzy.

(Not saying that is happening here. We're still sane at least. )

I think Quentin made a mistake and expressed his feelings poorly and Harry reacted poorly. That should be all it is but that'll never happen today.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I'm happy to say Quentin expressed himself poorly and Harry reacted poorly, but one is a 20 year old with no experience who tried really hard not to say anything and one is a seasoned professional who has been in the spotlight for 30 years yet jumped to a wrong conclusion and escalated everything, and the blame should be apportioned accordingly, imho.

Yet the headlines I see are:

"Contestant Storms 'American Iol' Judges' Table to Face Off with Harry Connick Jr." -- Entertainment Tonight

"Harry Connick Jr, goes IN on ungrateful 'American Idol' contestant" -- USA Today

"Quentin Alexander throws a tantrum after rough performance critique" -- Zap2it

"Harry Connick Jr. battles with a contestant - and not the singing kind" -- Entertainment Weekly.

etc. etc. etc.

You've got to feel bad for the kid. Just hope he's able to brush it off more easily than I would.