TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 09, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XII: 5/08 - Top 3 week (singing & results): Archive through May 09, 2013 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I figured that I'd start a new thread and move some posts over. LOL - Oh the excitement. I haven't actually watched the show yet but we'll watch our recording tonight. It almost seems like a sense of duty or momentum that is keeping us watching at this point.

Nancy

08-01-2000

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nancy a private message Print Post    
I live in Angie's hometown. They had the homecoming event on Saturday. I was at a wedding and missed it but the video's already on you tube look like it was well attended*newpaper says 20,000.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I think every once in awhile Nicki has some valid comments, but the other part of her personality out weighs the good comments. I hope she does not come back next year and I don't blame Mariah for not wanting to be there.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Yesterday, People Magazine had an article on all three of their homecomings. Nice article.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Am I the only one watching? It feels rather lonely here.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
A friend ended up in the hospital, so I was on the phone and did not see the show. All I can say is that I am glad I quit smoking after only 10 years, my strong energetic friend went from being fine to having CoPD and in and out of hospitals since the diagnosis.

Was the show any good? I can watch in on demand tomorrow if it was.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I thought it was a good show. I am sorry about your friend. My husband has COPD and yes there are hospital stays. :-( Almost 7 years since I have had a cigarette and some times I do miss them. I will never ever smoke on again.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was looking at Survivor, The Voice and AI all starting at once and it was a no-brainer to stop recording AI.

After an hour I brought up the AI channel and hit record, but later realized it didn't record and my reaction was <shrug>.. And I hated Survivor tonight as well.

So it might have been good, but I don't know.

I'm so sorry about your friend.. COPD/Emphysema ruined the last half of my mom's life and her condition too much of the joy out of my dad's life as well.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
thanks, I was lucky,picked up a brochure in the dentists office where he gave me encouragement to quit, very supportive, when I quit, My ex- quit too, so we were pretty young, just about 30. before the smoking is bad for you stuff ramped up, had an aunt die from lung cancer as well.

On topic, Here is Rodney Ho's review of tonight.
'American Idol' top 3 performance recap
I don't always agree with him, but...

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Sorry to hear about your friend, my MIL passed four years ago from COPD. It took much of the joy out of the last years of her life.

As for AI...1. Someone needs to stick a sock in Nikki Minaj's mouth. 2. Someone needs to tell Candice that while powerful is good off-pitch is painful for the ears of those listening. "Somewhere" was soooo pitchy it was painful to my ears. She will do great on Broadway. 3. Kree, I love. She has a voice that will fit right into Nashville but she's got to start singing with some facial emotion. Her eyes are dead when she sings. She also needs to learn to move when she sings, she emotes no personality. 4. Angie is my top choice to win. Great voice, great personality; as they say in the pageant world, she's the complete package. Of all the songs performed last evening her performance of Pink's "Try" was the very best.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I totally agree with your post, Mispoufy.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
One of the things that drive me crazy about the Idol judges every year is they like to pick one contestant and shove them down our throat. This year is no exception and I feel it's Candace. IMO she didn't deserve the standing ovation on Somewhere. Personally I liked Katherine McFee's version much better.
I was listening to Kid Kraddick on the radio this morning and I had to laugh at Kelly Rasberry's comment. She said why did the judges act like Candace's performance was like the second coming of Christ. I agree, she was pitchy.
I think Kree will do great singing Country in Nashville.
I agree Misspoufy, Angie has the whole package, looks, personality and she is a singer/song writer with a beautiful voice.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Absolutely agree with you, Misspoufy! I told my husband, "I guess it doesn't matter how far off key you are as long as you sing it with power and emotion." Ugh! It just wasn't that good.

I think they're all exhausted at this point and it's showing, but Angie's the youngest and seems to have the most energy. I wasn't a fan at the beginning of the season, but I am now. She's really grown and is coming into her own. Love her. She could be the Carrie Underwood of the pop world.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I disagree heartily though - people on Broadway sing on key. if you think she sings off key, she would not belong there. They have mikes now, loud is no longer a major asset.

And Maineic - the shoved down the throat was Amber. She is gone now, I think the judges are floundering with out her.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I thought it was very rude of Keith to say if you don't vote for Candice you must not be breathing or something like that.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Has anyone ever heard someone as phoney as Nicki? Her voice and tone are so put on and insincere. Her comments and observations are unnecessary. Yuck, just Yuck!

Angie is good but she reminds me of the sugary, sweet Osmonds.....not my cup of tea.

I'm still hoping Candace wins. I do think she is the only one that could sing the phone book and make it sound good. Either way, she has great career ahead of her.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom...I do not think Candace would start as a Broadway star. She needs a lot of vocal coaching before that would happen. It's not that I don't believe she has vocal talent, I think she has great possibilities ahead of her. She needs to learn that when you "belt it out" your voice loses much of its ability to hold a great pitch. That's why opera singers train so vigorously...to learn to hold pitch. Anybody can sing loudly, but if you can't hold the pitch steady, loud counts for nothing. THIS is where I feel Candace is right now. (JMO...but I also think she needs to can all the extra ruffles and flourishes she adds to standards...it doesn't make it her own, it only tries to hide that she doesn't know where the right note is)

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Yeah Candace went off pitch several times last night when she was singing Somewhere. She usually seems to have extraordinary control of her voice, but that got very not pretty.

maybe it's overuse. Who knows? She was still better than the rest, but all that praise she received wasn't exactly deserved IMO.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
In defense of all the contestants left - they are recording their "album" for release just after the show ends, as well as recording their singles for sale each week and learning their songs, etc. This week they also had a 2 day trip home to fit in their schedule. When they do ford commercials that takes an entire day. Every year they try to fit more in the schedule, I think this seriously takes away from the singing ability of the contestants.

And from a recent coaching seminar, Clay said he knew almost all the songs they had to sing on the show,lately,the performers keep saying they don't know any of these songs and they had to learn them,that adds more stress, but I have to wonder how they can say they never learned some songs. I think they are getting fewer choir singers and more solo singers who probably sing the same songs over and over. i don't know, but it has to be hard to learn new songs all the time. It seems like there is less from them to choose from, years ago I used to hear there were 25 songs to choose from, now Candace says there are about 15

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, you're right, they did shove Amber down our throats and they switched it over to Candace. It just seems to me that all season, no matter how good Angie, Janelle and Kree sang, the judges found something negative to say. On the other hand, it didn't matter if Amber and Candace had a bad moment or song, the judges didn't hear it, it was all praise.

As for their singing ability, I really don't see one above or any better than the others. For me personally, I like Angie's personality and I would buy her music with Kree a possibility depending on the type of music she makes.
I don't care for the big ballads that Candace sings.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I thought they were shoving Angie down our throats for a while as well, but that can be a matter of interpretation. I got the impression they wanted an Angie/Amber finale.

The rumor mill is saying that all judges are gone next year as are theme nights. Now I enjoy theme nights but they have to ditch disco for something more credible like Latin. And they have to make sure the songs really fall in the category and failing for the last 5 seasons.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, maybe the year after Simon left, they said they were going to quit theme nights and all the fluff/filler that drives everyone crazy (evidently I wasn't the only person who didn't want to see baby pictures). I was telling a friend yesterday that I'm a much happier person not watching the show and reading everyone's posts.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought I would rest my eyes during the first commercial break, and the next thing I knew it was midnight. So I missed almost the whole thing. I have been skimming through the recording, skipping the judges comments and home visits, and I really thought Kree did the best overall. If she leaves tonight, I am going to feel bad for missing last night's vote :-(

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I think Candice gained self confidence while on the show, Angie always had plenty of it and Kree lost self confidence. :-(

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
here you go
Insider: 'American Idol' to Axe All 4 Judges as Part of Massive Makeover (Exclusive)
"American Idol" is going nuclear for Season 13.

None of the four judges on the singing competition will be asked to return next season, an individual with knowledge of Fox's plans told The Wrap. Longtime producer Nigel Lythgoe is expected to get the boot. And despite reports to the contrary, Fox isn't even considering bringing former judge Jennifer Lopez back as a lifesaver for next season.
The show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.

Behind the scenes, Fox Broadcasting chairman Kevin Reilly is charged with "fixing Idol."

I think having FOX fix anything is a death knell. They are looking at the Voice? that is a totally different show all about the judges - the singers have not made a mark yet. The whole credibility of Idol is the success of the contestants. It also has simple to understand rules, not the craziness of understanding what phase of elimination the Voice is in. I find it hard to watch that show because it is never the same.
Will they shorten the show - no way, they want to milk the ad money to death.