TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 11, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Bachelor / Bachelorette: Other Recent Bachelors/Bachelorettes: Caution Spoilers - 2017 Bachelor in Paradise Caution : Archive through July 11, 2017 users admin

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Harvey Levin at TMZ is an attorney and a legal analyst. He's not going to print anything libelous.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Lexie, like I said I don't know the details. I thought the blow up was that she felt assaulted or raped. What was the reason the show stopped taping for a while?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
My feeling is that BOTH DeMario and Corinne were victimized in this situation. They were both encouraged to drink to excess and engage in sexual behavior. The producers are the guilty party here. And nobody ever said Corinne was "raped." It was just alcohol-fueled inappropriate behavior. The producers are at fault here.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
She was so drunk she had no idea what happened and yet she has declared she was a "victim". So far no evidence has been presented to indicate she was the victim of a crime. So, yes, i'm going to keep telling my child not to put herself into a vulnerable position by being so drunk. And I don't think it's blaming the victim to make her aware that if she does get blotto drunk she is increasing her chances of getting assaulted or even of doing something she will regret deeply in the morning.

And Yes, Texannie -- that "tea" video is VERY good. I think all young people should see it and I encouraged my daughter to show it to her friend s-- both male and female.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Babyjax, your above post is the exactly what I think too....shame on the producers that were on hand.

The producers want to have something/someone to work with in order to get "R" rated footage. That is where casting comes in. They were pretty sure that Corrine would give them plenty of "R" rated material based on her previous actions on the Bachelor.

I think they could do a BIP without people who act foolishly in front of the camera. Interpersonal sober relationships ARE more interesting, to me. Once the drunks come out I usually tune out. TBTB need to grow up!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Agreed! Did they not learn anything from their viewers. We like seeing the evolution of a real relationship -- like Carlys. We do not need to see drunken stupor. This is not Jersey shore. This is not cable.

But if you read what Carly's husband said -- he says they are not encouraged to drink to excess and he was forbidden to drink while he was on meds. So I have to wonder how much is "the producers want me to do this" and how much is "I think if I do this, I will get lots of tv time."

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry that people cannot see the difference between advising people to be prudent regarding their own behavior BEFORE something bad happens.... versus blaming them for something bad that happened to them later.

Again, while we would hope that everyone be perfect models of behavior, they are not. They never will be.

But that doesn't mean they *contributed* to be raped, robbed, assaulted, violated or murdered. To say or imply otherwise is blaming the victim.

The only person responsible for the crime is the one who committed the crime.

And as I said before, I am not blaming him either. I don't know how much he had to drink.

But I do do know what the law says, and the law says you CANNOT legally consent to sexual activity if you are intoxicated.

If you're a woman, you shouldn't drink so much that you don't know what you are doing. If you are a guy you shouldn't either. And if you are a guy having sex with a woman that has had that much to drink YOU are the one breaking the law.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
And if you are a guy having sex with a woman that has had that much to drink YOU are the one breaking the law.

Unless the guy has had too much to drink as well and the woman is sitting on his face. Then he is a victim too?

I'm sorry that people cannot see the difference between advising people to be prudent regarding their own behavior BEFORE something bad happens.... versus blaming them for something bad that happened to them later.

That is what I thought that I was saying. One thing that seems to happen is when people talk about being prudent and how it is important is that seems to be immediately translated into blaming the victim.

Using an attack on someone to emphasize that people shouldn't go down dark lanes and that they should be aware of their surroundings isn't blaming the victim. It's helping people avoid becoming victims. Anything else seems very passive to me.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
And now another factor is being brought into the mix: http://www.tvguide.com/news/will-gaskins-bachelor-in-paradise-demario-jackson-race/

In this particular case did the participants believe that production would step in if something harmful or unlawful was taking place?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Using an attack on someone to emphasize that people shouldn't go down dark lanes and that they should be aware of their surroundings isn't blaming the victim.

It depends on whether you are talking about the person who was attacked, or whether you are talking about other people who have not yet been attacked.

If you are talking about the person who was attacked, and judging HER (or his) behavior, then it is blaming the victim.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
it's an interesting point of view, Tresbien, and troubling if true.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Unless the guy has had too much to drink as well and the woman is sitting on his face. Then he is a victim too?

It's possible. As I said if both were legally intoxicated, you can't blame one or the other. However, you can blame the production crew who was responsible for monitoring them.

But I'm a little unclear about what actually happened (in terms of positioning) because there are different stories out there. The face sitting may be rumor.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's a difficult issue to address. Obviously, people who care about someone with a drinking problem (like Corinne) want them to understand how drinking excessively puts them at risk, but they have to try to convey that in a manner that doesn't blame her as a victim. That is a delicate balancing act.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Laws are in place to dictate which behaviors are acceptable and which are not (But of course some laws are also repugnant.. those which target groups and discriminate and make some people unsafe).

Given that a law is protective.. when we moved to California from Michigan many years ago, my brother and I were stunned to see kids and adults step into the street, confident that care would stop! And some people would amble across, feeling the power) This has not been the case in Detroit.

My parents rather quickly warned us that no matter how right we might be, we still had to be smart and ultimately we should act in ways that made it less likely to be injured or killed.

When I was a freshman at Cal, we were experiencing freedom away from home (with a curfew in the dorm).

But we were also warned to move about at night during times when others were also coming from campus to the dorms and we were told not to venture beyond the dorms at night, because of girls being raped and one being murdered.

It was a warning and never came across as blaming the victims. There was sadness that there were victims.

Our Rape Crisis agency, beyond the 24 hour hotline, counselling and accompaniment during rape exams and to court, also had services to help with prevention .. strategies to avoid going through being assaulted. And that would include looking out for your friends and your own risk taking. We ran a women's self defense class, practicing techniques for fighting back, etc. But the first choice was to run away, if possible, tell loudly.. And that to get attention, yelling Fire might work better that Help.

If you survive an attack, possibly the law will be on your side but you will have been changed forever, and the legal process is too often like another attack...

So I would go with cautioning anyone to be safe, and not to put yourself into a condition where you are incapable of consent.. as in drinking to that point.. No matter if that is what everyone is doing. If you insist, then you have to be with someone you trust.

Now after an assault, it goes without saying that you emphasize that it wasn't the fault of the survivor (we never used the term victim, but police often did.. or were more skeptical in some cases.. We would work to change those views but not to the extent that they wouldn't call us in as soon as a rape was reported.. Some agencies didn't and then if the hospital called the hotline, we had to get there fast, so a woman didn't go through the exam without a hand to hold and an advocate. Nurses would advocate but they appreciated having us so they could do their job. ).

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's a disturbing thought voiced in that article, Tresbien. Of course, none of us have seen the tape so we are all speculating about how different this appeared compared to the things that she did with Nick.

Just to be clear, I'm not at all saying that because she did things with Nick, it means that other guys have the same right. I'm just saying that the difference may not have been initially evident to the producers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On Nick's season, she was shown drinking and drunk and sleeping through things.

BUT when she would peruse Nick, removing her too for a photo shoot, approaching him with nothing on her her coat, going to his room with stated intent to use her platinum vagine, etc. she did not appear to be impaired, seemed fully aware of her actions, gleeful when that missed off the other women, pouty when Nick didn't take her up on her offer in his room. But not obviously impaired.

We will probably never see what happened.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
We're now into the "he said" part of "he said, she said"....

http://tvline.com/2017/06/27/bachelor-in-paradise-demario-jackson-interview-corinne-olympios-video/

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Episode 5 Recap

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
This is the BIP spoiler thread, Lexie. :-)

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Crap...

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
The investigation about Corrine and Mario is closed. No charges filed. Am I surprised?? No!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lots of publicity..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Jag - was there an actual legal investigation? I can't find any record of that, or that charges were being contemplated.

As far as I know Corinne has not yet decided whether she will continue her civil case. However, her legal team has concluded their investigation. It may be that they think that misconduct can't be proved, or that it would be damaging to their client to continue.

At any rate, I'm glad they will restrict the drinking on the show in the future. That's a good outcome.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Episode-by Episode Spoilers

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Lexie. Should be a fun show!