TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Bachelor / Bachelorette: Other Recent Bachelors/Bachelorettes: Bachelorette Kaitlyn - General Discussion (NO Spoilers): Archive through June 22, 2015 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I don't think she's exceptionally more self-centered. I do think she's a bit clueless. When she brought Nick back she spent WAY too much time talking to the guys about it, obsessing about it with them. But no, I don't see her as exponentially worse than other Bachettes. She's not my cup of tea but it seems people really dislike her and I'm a bit surprised by that. But then I was surprised how much people disliked Britt, who I liked a lot!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't say she was more self-centered. As I recall, I came in and riffed about Chris Soules also. :-)

However, there have been some that have been more thoughtful of the feelings of other people too.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well you did describe her as "extraordinarily self-centered". Anyway, I understand now (I think). :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yes, and Chris was too... extraordinarily self-centered. I do think the format exacerbates that characteristic in many of the bachelor/ettes

What always gets me is that almost all of them (all of them?) have been on the other side, and suffered the angst, frustration, doubt, etc that comes with it. And then they become the center of attention, and seem to have learned nothing from it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think it is partly the show format. Almost all of the Bachelors and Bachelorettes are picked because they were perceived as very likeable on their original season. Then, as you said, when they become the center of the show, they seem to become less likeable or at least they are perceived as less likeable.

One exception I can think of was Ashley, though some people were upset that she allowed Ben to get down on his knee and propose (not that he would let her stop him). And interestingly, Ashley is one of the few who found or created a successful relationship and ended up marrying and making a family with JP. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't see being clueless and self centered as deliberately mean or not giving a crap in all cases..

People can be hurt by someone being thoughtless, absolutely but if they find out there was an actual plan to hurt them, that is harder for most people.

With Kaitlyn it does seem that she's not real open to insight about herself and thus she tends to react quickly and sometimes with seemingly little thought.

I wouldn't be sharing any secrets with her, because I wouldn't trust her to not broadcast what I just said or go confront someone about it.

I don't think she is deliberately mean, but she acts in ways that can be hurtful.

And as someone said, sometimes there is a distinctly unclassy vibe there which would be fun drinking in a bar and even celebrated if she was a stand up comic where it seems you must be mean, but for potential inlaws.. I'm sure it isn't too endearing..

But consider that since very few can "win" on this show and most of the times, the "winners" end up losing, then this show is more like a weeks long audition for Bachelor in Paradise or other reality shows where the more outrageous the better. Of course I don't know if any ex bach or bachelorette had ended up on the secondary show after they break up with their "future wife" or "future husband", so not sure it behooves Kaitlyn to dial up the.. or dial down the class..

But show format has a part in it..

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm sure casting likes to pick people who are willing to suck up the limelight, let it be all about them. Because, let's face it, a very humble, shy person is not going to make a very interesting Bachelor or Bachette!

As for them starting out likable and then becoming unlikable -- it seems that's mostly for the Bachelor. I don't think we turn on the Bachelorette as easily. LOL.

Just looking back through photos I wrinkle up my nose at most of the men, but most of the women are still likeable (and honestly, some of the contestants way back I really can't even remember!)

Looking back, I think of these ladies fondly: Jenn, DeAnna, Jillian, Ali, Ashley, Des.

Not so much: Emily -- didn't like the choice to begin with.
Andi was the most recent and I guess maybe that's why we feel like they become unlikable. I really can't recall being very fond of her.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just when you thought the group dates couldn't get any weirder, ABC is giving us this:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelorette/video/most-recent/VDKA0_2phy833s?linkId=15020665

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I know I'm repeating myself but the producers really do dislike her don't they.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I'm soo thankful I haven't watched 1 episode this season. Didn't like the premise of the show and there is just too much scripting and every season it gets to be more and more. And then Nick showing up. They sure have ruined this show.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Just when you thought group dates couldn't get any worse!

Roblover

05-17-2011

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roblover a private message Print Post    
Yep Jimmer, i agree, when the producers put you in a casket, I think they just might dislike you :-) What next? Have a truck run over her?

Seriously though this is VERY distasteful idea to me. Having just lost 2 immediate family members last year, I do not think I can watch this part of the episode.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's not something they should be doing for "entertainment". It just hits too close.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, it's in very poor taste IMO. What are the producers thinking?! And why does she agree to go along with it?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Didn't she say it was 'her' idea and she thought it would be fun?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
She seems to exhibit somewhat poor taste at times, so she may think it is funny.

And it could be a reach out to vampire and zombie lovers.

But I really cannot imagine what they are thinking!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 3:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, she has to say the dates are her idea for viewers who don't realize how scripted the show is by production. These dates are set up months in advance - long before they even know who is going to be the Bachelor/ette. They don't even pick who is going on the dates - whether group, one on one, or two on one. Those are also picked by production.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 3:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i think even those of us who aren't quite as cyncial about the show being scripted know the bachelor/bachelorette doesn't come up with the ideas for the dates. LOL

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Well, I am gullible so I believed it.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
(((SIGH)))) Dogdoc

As long as I'm bursting your bubble, you do know that 99.999% of what they say in confessionals are fed to them by the producers? The most recent notable time someone did not say what production wanted them to say was the girl last year who talked about her story being tragic. That was all her - production had nothing to do with it (but they couldn't have scripted it any better if they tried).

But when you hear these people saying "so and so could be my husband/wife" and "so and so set up the most AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING date" - that is all fed to them by production.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes, the girl with the tragic life was a gem for production.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I know they tell them what to say but it's not like they are purely reading a script. Unless some of these contestants agree to look obnoxious based on some script?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I'm sure production has perfected the art of leading questions, but these women are not robots. They can certainly say what they want, and the "tragic life" girl proved that. LOL. Most of them get sucked in and play they part they are expected to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I suspect many of them have watched the show and know what to say.