TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
6th Episode - April 17

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXXVI: 6th Episode - April 17 users admin

"Our Alliance Strikes Again"

The Amazing Race
The Amazing Race (on CBS)

Mexico -> Colombia -> Chile -> Argentina

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Almost forgot!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yay! :-)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The title is a little troublesome to me as I'm not really a fan of alliances on The Amazing Race, but we'll see how it goes.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
group 1 8:15 cesar and ricky Juan and Shane

group 2 8:30 rod and leticia Angie and danny Amber and vinny

group 3 8:45 sunny ans Buzzy derek and sheila Yvonnne and Melissa

detour - bicycles to recycle plastic. or gauchos throwing bolos.

then off to race track - single .

then off to a bubble soccer team! single

detour finger prints or Identify beef cuts.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, Mom and Danny surely would have been out if not for their alliance, and the other two teams could have been in jeopardy as well, as they were terrible navigators and relied totally on Danny to get them all to the sites. So, it was a good demonstration of how using each others' unique talents can actually work in TAR.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm officially over any team in the alliance. I could almost put up with it right up until the meat naming task and then I was done with them.

I'm rooting for the teams who do their own work to accomplish the tasks. Sorry to see Derek and Shelisa go.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 12:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Their choice, and the alliance seems to be mutually helpful, but I am not a fan.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
This is Boston Rob level of strategy! It was so nice of that team to help the mom finish that driving task. It certainly seemed like the contestants were making the puzzle too hard.

Sorry to see the grandparents go. They were a lovely team.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Until they forbid it, alliances are part of the race. I do sometimes want to slap that mom, and other times when she tells her son to quit being so helpful, I applaud her.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
When I initially saw the diving challenge...I thought they had to DRAW the course freehand! I thought I would never , ever in a million years be able to do that. Am a bit claustrophobic and get car sick... So I would have been done by the time I got out of the car lol. But then I realized it was tiles, and it was just a puzzle really. No need to even go on the ride to solve. Was surprised at those that found it so challenging. They got in their head.

I also, do not care for the continual mass alliances. I spend half the time yelling at the TV at Danny to stop helping everyone. It's likely going to bite them in the butt at some point. It also potentially drags weaker teams to the end. Not a finale I particularly want to see.

Rod cracked me up on the bubble soccer. His head was totally above the rim, because of his height. He was taken aback when they first toppled him over... Then you could kind of see him say to himself, okay, So this is how you're going to play...and he plowed through them. Although it did not seem that the other players were playing at even half strength. The mom would never have scored if they weren't lol

I was disappointed that no one chose the fingerprint challenge. That seemed much easier to me. I know my cuts of meat, and I still would have been more confident in the fingerprint challenge. Especially because of the language barrier. Must have been a bummer for the person that came up with the concept that no one even attempted it!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think they thought it would be really hard to match a fingerprint, but that challenge seemed so cool, I was disappointed too that we didn't get to see anyone try it.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, April 20, 2024 - 4:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Danny and Angie may have some of the best navigational skills I've seen in forever on the race.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 20, 2024 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Agreed on the navigation, but I think that is a sign of the times - that contestants nowadays have always had access to GPS.

And I can guarantee the fingerprint challenge would have been easier. When I attended the federal law enforcement academy 50 years ago, we had to learn how to dust for and lift fingerprints. The key is to use the powder sparingly, very sparingly and then put the lifting tape on slowly, so as not smudge the print. The identification part is easy if you know there is a correct one in the batch to be examined. Could have been a five to twenty minute task.

On the soccer task, the clue to that seemed to me to be to get down close to the goal as soon as possible, since there was NO GOALIE, and then let your team set you up, which they would because they are professionals. But, in fairness, if I had been on the field, I would not have immediately recognized that. I forget which player reached that strategy first.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 12:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Derek and Shalisa said they were so disappointed that they didn't get to do the last roadblock.. their clue told them time was up and they should go straight to the mat to Phil. Both having been cops, they would have chosen the fingerprint task.

Turns out they had never seen an episode of Amazing Race until they were chosen then they binged like crazy. Several relatives ARE big fans and urged them to apply. Derek opened their video saying that they were long time viewers and fans and Shalisa zinged him about lying but promised that if they got on the season they would certainly become fans!

Years ago I got to go to Community Police Academy in my city. It was really a great experience and we had lots of sessions about all aspects of policing here, got to go to the shooting range, meet the police dogs, do a ride along, lots of lectures and we got to fingerprint too.. yep.. very light dusting.

I think it was Cesar who realized that he could just bowl over the others (apparently even went for his own team as well) and get down there..

And Angie was really bounced around..

I also wouldn't have realized it and would be very short in that bubble..

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Juju, yes we now have GPS navigation skills but these racers have to use a map. They can't use GPS - that's why I'm giving mad props to Danny and Angie. They can read a map without getting lost.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And... Danny is of an age where GPS has always been available, so the fact that he has excellent map skills is even more impressive.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Well, Danny did get them lost this last leg, which is what allowed the two all lady teams to pass them and arrive at the meat challenge first.

My parents did the cop thing through their county. They really enjoyed it -- seeing the police dogs, learning about the crime unit, etc. It's a multi-week thing and perfect for retirees who are available during the day.

that's too bad they didn't get to do the fingerprint thing. Sounds like they were pretty far behind.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Our Community Police Academy was in early evening, so those still working could also attend.

As for the racers, they are allowed to look at phones which might help them get oriented to the map, but self driving eliminates the ability to borrow a cab driver's phone.

Some people take map reading instruction before going on the race.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Podcasters wonder how the start times will go.. One of the three allied teams may start 15 minutes ahead.. Will they wait? Probably not.

Danny has the map skills and cannot stop helping everyone, even outside the alliance, Angie does not want to help but needs and takes help. Vinnie has some Spanish skills. Amber is very loyal in helping the allies.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I guess alliances are a part of the game but actually completing tasks for another team seems to be taking it to another level. However, given how well it seems to be working, we’ll probably see more and more of it in the future.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2024 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I guess I must have said it wrong. My point was that Danny seemed to be the only one who could read and navigate with a map, so all of a sudden he became a hot commodity. And the lost skill of map-reading is what is causing many of the others to keep getting lost.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert AR Names

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: