TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 11, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXX: 2nd Show, Jan 10: Archive through January 11, 2018 users admin

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
"You're the Best French Fry Ever"

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Cast bios are up in a folder for your review.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Good show tonight, yoga goat girls got eliminated.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
IIRC, when TAR Canada did this, it was in the middle of the leg, not the end, so there was still a chance for the team that lost the last head to head to stay in (they had to serve a time penalty first)- that’s my main complaint about this...

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Oh wow, thanks for the 'cast bio's', its so helpful.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
So glad Henry and Evan were able to endure through the pit stop elimination contest tonight. I don't think this is an innovation that will go down well in the future. Fans would have hated if GoatYoga beat YaleDebate, who were absolutely beat to a frazzle after they made it to the pit stop, and AFTER they should have already been safe.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I absolutely hated the "head to head" competition and hope they never do it again.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Yeah Cody & Jessica! They came in first and won $2,500 each.

Felt bad for Henry & Evan, but glad they pulled it out in the end. I liked the "head to head" competition, but think it would be better if it were in the middle like Wilsonatmd said it was in TAR Canada.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I seem to recall them having other head to head competitions in the past? What I didn’t like about this one was how the final losing team was eliminated. Also, success in this competition was very dependent on strength. While there have been other competitions where strength is a factor, they’ve also been designed so that physically weaker teams can overcome them through skill and perseverance. Also there was little or no advantage to getting there early. Sure the earlier teams could run more races but that just tired them out. I almost thought it would have been better strategy for them to throw some of those races and save their strength for going against a team where they had a better chance of winning.

Cody and Jessica are doing very well. They also seem like a pretty pleasant couple outside of Big Brother.

Thanks for all the bios, Dipo. :-)

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
here's a listing of other versions who have done the head-to-head:

http://amazingrace.wikia.com/wiki/Double_Battle

(only one other time has a team that lost a final head-to-head been automatically eliminated; all other teams got a time penalty- usually 15 minutes)

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
What a cop out for Sarah to make April do it a second time after being tired. Sarah should have stepped up! I blame her for them losing. Everyone else switched up partners so they could rest

Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sportsfan a private message Print Post    
I thought the exact same thing Lostfan.

Sarah will have nightmares about that poor decision for a long time!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought they discussed it and thought that Sarah felt she could do better because she had already done it once?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I though April thought Sarah could do it better because she had done it once, but maybe Sarah felt she had to agree.

I didn't like the task much. And wasn't happy to have Phil narrstin, a la Probst.

I am ok with goat yoga being out, but not in this way.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I agree Sea, Phil sounded just like Jeff.

I would willingly give up a million dollars if I had to climb that rope ladder. No way would I do it!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I guess Phil had to narrate since we really couldn't see how the contestants were running since they were all dressed like pomme frites.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I had no trouble telling them apart. I also would rather not have Phil involved in tasks and would rather not have a task at a pit stop. Traditionally, even the last team leaving a pit stop has a chance, it theory, to overtake a team who was ahead.

I have watched the trend where hosts and judges have become more and more part of shows, which used to be about the contestants.

Another trend I really don't like is how production on some reality shows, like Teen Mom, have become on the spot interviewers and manipulators of what happens, what is said. I do realize that this has gone on off camera forever, so perhaps it is actually more honest. Maybe if we heard the questions asked of those teams on Amazing Race, Survivor, Big Brother, etc., we would dislike of like someone less and dislike the manipulation more? And with Project Runway, lots of cooking shows?

Anyway, I have always loved Phil and how he could convey his feelings with a lifted eyebrow, but mostly seemed to remain pretty neutral.

The French fry theme could have been produced as competition against the task and packaged with fun music and been enjoyable. I remember the cheese rolling in the past, or any number of tasks involving animals. Hopefully, the combination of pitting contestants against each other, with narration by Phil, and right at a pit stop, won't become a staple.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They seem to be emphasizing that the teams are all very competitive and they have made that a major theme of this season including the more Survivor style head to head competition along with the commentary from Phil. Goodness knows it's worked for Survivor. While I didn't hate it on the Amazing Race, I didn't enjoy it as much either. I like the idea of a race to the pit stop, after the last challenge.

I didn't think that Sarah made April do it. I thought they made a logical decision based on the idea that April had some experience with it. Who knows if Sarah would have done any better.

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I thought Sarah and April were doomed after watching them the first week. I am glad they are gone. One thing I cant take are whiners, you are mean, ......

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Exclusive: April Gould and Sarah Williams talk 'The Amazing Race' (Part 1)

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-april-gould-and-sarah-williams-talk-the-amazing-race-%28part-1%29-23364.php

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Lostfan, I thought the same thing!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In the interview, she says it was THREE hours between the first and second run, so I don't think being tired was an issue.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Before reading Bisc's link above (edit: and Pamy and Karuuna's posts, which were not there when I began my reply), I will opine that I thought the blonde GoatYoga woman manipulated the small pigtail woman into doing the task twice so that the blonde woman couldn't be blamed for the loss. The editing on the first episode and this one had seemed to demonstrate sort of passive-aggressive manipulation by the blonde woman.

Going to read the Part I interview of the losing team now.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
She also noted that April did cross fit, so she was in much better condition than Sarah, and that frankly they both thought they would lose to the firefighters no matter which one of them ran.

(For anyone not reading the article).

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Okay, I have now read the interview. I was going to go along with the theory that they must have talked it over during that three hour rest and jointly come to the conclusion that the little pig-tailed gal, April, was indeed the better choice until I came to this part of the interview:

quote:

April Gould: Those bags were like 20 pounds, and there were eight of them, so I was pushing like 150 pounds worth of French fries, which is more than 150 percent of my body weight. So I feel like Sarah would've done a lot better at it than me, just because a lot of it had to do with pushing and not necessarily running.

And she's also a Crossfit trainer. But I don't know. It just worked out how it did, and like Sarah said, we probably would have lost either way. They were Marine firefighters, so, you know.
Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-april-gould-and-sarah-williams-talk-the-amazing-race-(part-1)-23364.php#DOB2EthV1TC2Isgs.99

I am staying with my passive-aggressive opinion. It will be interesting to know if these two are still friends and in business together. The small woman, April, does seem to still be gracious and forgiving in the post-season interview, same as she was portrayed in the editing of the show.