TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 30, 2024

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The Cheap Seats: Sports: Paris Olympics - 2024: Archive through July 30, 2024 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Pressure at these events must be very hard.

Celine was a very big moment. So wonderful!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It really was an amazing opening ceremony. Lots of very different "events" and music. I loved it.

And I got very teary seeing Celine perform knowing it was probably one of her last public performances. She was fantastic. I loved how Kelly Clarkson said she was stunned and verklempt.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I did wonder about how people could see everything... for example on the bridge? I do see there are complaints about that this morning.

It was very innovative, and for watching on TV, it was great.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Maz Jovanovich
@maz_jovanovich
·
7h
This Olympic opening ceremony scene with Marie Antoinette at the Conciergerie - the actual prison where she was held before being beheaded during the French Revolution - was pretty metal and people screeching about it being “satanic” could really use a history book or two.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The Olympic Games
@Olympics
·
28m
Hungary takes the #bronze medal! 🇭🇺

It goes to Eszter Muhari in fencing women's épée individual! 🤺

@FIE_fencing
| #Fencing
#Paris2024 | #Samsung | #TogetherforTomorrow

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NBC News
@NBCNews
·
19m
Even the dayslong downpour soaking Paris 2024 could not detract from arguably the Games’ most epic venue, the Eiffel Tower Stadium, which hosted its first beach volleyball events Saturday.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
all i am seeing on social media is people either loving or hating the opening ceremony - as someone said, no in between. I actually enjoyed the parts i was able to watch.

USA wins the men's freestyle relay (4x100?) and women get silver while setting an American record while coming back with China in second in the last lap...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I saw a great tweet that explained parts of the opening ceremony. A friend told me she was offended by the trans-gender last supper where a blue fat Jesus was unveiled. Here is the actual situation.

Also, it was not the Last Supper. It was a depiction of an ancient Greek Bacchanal ... because, you know, the Olympics are ancient and Greek. Surprise.
And if you didn't know, a Bacchanalia is an uncontrollably promiscuous, extravagant, and loud party. The parties often spanned several days which honored the god of wine, Bacchus (the blue guy covered in grape vine). He is also know as Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility, later known as the god of wine and pleasure.

Just thought others might like to know the real answer to the "controversy".

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It looked a lot like Leonardo da Vinci‘s last supper to me.

LOL but it’s not like it matters to me. I like their explanation and I enjoyed the opening ceremony.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately, you can’t convince some people otherwise. Like my sister and her friends. Sigh.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Whatever it was I’m certain Jesus is not offended in the least.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think that's because that's what you have experience with. If you look at depictions of Bacchus, they look much the same. It's normal to interpret things thru our own lens.
I would also note the official X account of the Olympics referred to Bacchanals:

“The interpretation of the Greek God Dionysus makes us aware of the absurdity of violence between human beings.”

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 27, 2024 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The similarity is intriguing. As I just said, similar or not, I think there is no chance that Jesus was offended. Personally, I found it different and entertaining.

What I do find offensive is the remarkable stupidity and awful actions of the Canadian women’s soccer team coaching staff. That’s embarrassing and shameful.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That was pretty stupid, Jimmer. I assume you are referring to the flying of a drone over another team's practice?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
By the way, continuing to beat a dead horse... it seems that the painting being emulated was "The Feast of the Gods" by Jan Harmensz van Biljert.

The resemblance to this assembly of *Greek* gods is clear, right to Apollo wearing a crown in the middle and Dionysus wearing ivy and dancing.

https://musee-magnin.fr/en/node/19

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well at least some of us realize it is not a Fat Blue Jesus, LOL.

I was watching the women's gymnastic qualifiers last night, or rather in the early morning -- 2amish for me. I was so anxious I can't image how they were.

It was really good, hopefully tonight when they run it we can see some of the other countries qualifying teams.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Everything gets repeated during the day after, or in the evening. My guide says 3 pm Mountain time for women's gymnastic qualifying rounds.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NBC News
@NBCNews
·
1h
The U.S. men's basketball team began its gold medal defense with a win, defeating Serbia 110-84 in its group play opener.

USA’s next game is vs. South Sudan on Wednesday.

Watch the 2024 Paris Olympics on NBC and streaming on Peacock, July 26 - Aug 11. http://nbcnews.app.link/9iMcYumzBLb

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha ... a funny story from the Olympics ...
BC News
@NBCNews
·
1h
In a floral speedo, he's not an Olympian but still a hero: 'Bob the Cap Catcher.'

The speedo-clad man saved the day when the one of the women's 100-meter breaststroke heats faced a hiccup.

The world has become fixated after the speedo-clad mystery man saved the day when the one of the women’s 100-meter breaststroke heats faced a hiccup.

The race’s starter called for the swimmers to step down from their diving platform, spotting an obstacle in the pool: one of U.S. swimmer Emma Weber’s caps.

“We can’t have that at the bottom of the pool,” swimming analyst Amy Van Dyken explained. “We’re going to have to have someone dive in and go get it.”

While the arena was equipped with dozens of Olympians who can swim at superhuman speeds, this task called for someone else.

From the side of the pool, the mystery hero walked out to cheers.

“I mean, look at that right there!” Van Dyken exclaimed to viewers.

The diver performed a perfect — Olympic, even — dive, scooping up the cap, which was a bit over 8 feet away from the pool’s edge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/sports/olympics/olympic-swimming-heat-bob-cap-catcher-saves-day-rcna163979?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The Olympic Games
@Olympics
·
17m
It’s an #OLYMPICRECORD for Leon Marchand! 🇫🇷

With a time of 4:02.95, he achieves his first Olympic medal and France’s first medal in Swimming at #Paris2024!

@EquipeFRA
|
@WorldAquatics
| #Swimming
#Paris2024 | #OMEGA | #OMEGAOfficialTimekeeper

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Caught some of the Brazilian team gymnastics and they were fantastic, I think they are planning to show them in primetime ... don't miss it, so entertaining.

Also on a different channel caught some of the French women as well. Not quite as dynamic as the Brazilians.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes I was referencing the drone thing. Awful and embarrassing.

The guy retrieving the cap was a fun moment.

I do love all the updates, Dipo.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 28, 2024 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Melisa Oporto
@drummermoe
·
Jul 26
If y'all didn't know, Flava Flav is sponsoring the USA Women's Water Polo team after he learned that team members were working multiple jobs just to continue training and competing despite the women's water polo team winning 3 straight (going for four) Olympic gold medals.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, July 29, 2024 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The US Men’s gymnastics competition could not have been any better. So much emotion for them and us. I’m really happy for those guys. They worked so hard and deserve their medal.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 30, 2024 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
George Takei
@GeorgeTakei
·
33m
Celine Dion Shares Joyful Post After Emotional Performance At Olympics Opening Ceremony

The singer wrote on Instagram that she was 'so full of joy' after performing Edith Piaf’s 'L’Hymne A L’Amour' at the opening ceremony of the 2024 Paris Olympics.

https://www.comicsands.com/celine-dion-full-joy-olympics-2668834654.html?