TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 27, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 27, 2017 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I heard that others were having issues with the new version. You might google and see what you can find.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I got really scared when I went onto Facebook last night, and several people in my high school class (different state) were reporting that suddenly yesterday weird stuff started happening with their computers. And just yesterday I got infected with yet another Trojan, and I immediately did System Restore, as I have been doing past ten months. And I just chalked it up to the Russians, since I have been on lots of strange websites since Nov. 9, 2016.

And then I had a chilling thought - what if it really IS the Russians? They have ALL kinds of data on ALL of us Americans because of their infiltration of social media and those damn cutesy time-wasting quizzes we have all been doing for the past 3-4 years.

And it could very well be retaliation for the USGovt outlawing Kaspersky (Russian-owned) anti-virus software on govt. computers within the past week or so. I have never used Kaspersky anti-virus, but it has been one of the top-rated ones in the world for maybe 10-12 years?

SpongeBob, you here? Landileigh? Draheid? Can you geek-talk us any?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I beta test Microsoft and Apple and am on versions WAY ahead of yours. I do not, and have never used Kaspersky. Have used System Mechanic for years on my Microsoft based computers. As Karuuna said, you should be using a system that clears out cache daily. Most people's browsers and computers are loaded with c*r*a*p

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I forget, where do I go to make sure my cache clears? I am using mostly Chrome these days. TIA.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Would also like to know how/where to clear cache on Windows 10. TIA

Maybe that would explain why Windows 10 stopped updating a couple of months ago.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Landileigh. You are a goddess.

Until Landileigh answers - I used to use iobit's various products until they became too much like spyware themselves. Then I researched and came up with Ccleaner as a much recommended cleaning tool for Windows PC's. I don't know where I found this deal, but for about $30-$35 I purchased a full version pf Ccleaner that I could use on multiple computers without additional fees, and I get free updates to the newest version. Ccleaner has an option to clean browser upon closing browser. I can also go into my individual cookies and make a list of cookies I don't want erased, such as TVCH's option to keep me signed in.

Ccleaner also has a free version with many basic options, and it would probably be fine. I am heading off now to research System Mechanic.

Thanks again, Landileigh.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh thanks Juju, I have Ccleaner from one of my computer geek guys on my screen, I will run it when before I shut down tonight.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, this is an ad, of course, but it sure looks like a reasonable price for "whole house" System Mechanic Pro:

http://www.iolo.com/landing/adwords/back-to-school-special-offer/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=system-mechanic-brand-us-canada-search&utm_term=system%20mechanic%20download&utm_content=system-mechanic-brand-us-canada-search-brand-001d

I am about to take off traveling again for over a month, but set a reminder for myself to check out that link in November when we will be set for the winter in South Padre Island, TX. Oh! And I did also note System Mechanic comes in a free version.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Dipo, in Chrome, you click on the three little dots in the status bar. Then click on "more tools", then "Clear browsing data".

Juju, I use System Mechanic Pro. I don't have time to go doing all the cleaning myself, and I prefer to have it take care of things for me. If your computer is clean, then there is nothing to worry about.

oh... and people... quit clicking on junk!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh! I thought the ad link I posted was for Pro, and I see it is not. But then I kept scrolling down, and there was an add-on to get Pro for $15 more.

Yep, Landileigh, I think I may have learned the lesson to just buy the upgraded software in the first place. We were SO poor during my childhood and yet we lived as a middle class family because my parents knew how to manage every nickel, and so that is what I learned. It is SO hard for me to just blithely spend money on myself, even though I now have most of that money I saved all of my life. But I digress, as dotards are wont to do.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've been using System Mechanic since about 2004. I love it.

If anybody's renewal time is coming up, the latest coupon code is SM20. It brings down the annual service from $29.95 to $9.95. It expires Dec 31. I renewed last night.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I swear I am about to throw my laptop across the room......Someone who knows about twitter help me out.

Are there certain settings I need to make it scroll properly? Sometimes it works fine and then all of a sudden it won't move, is there some way to stop stuff from automatically playing? I am thinking that is what slows it down.

Thanks! I don't want to really have to kill my computer.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja. May or may not have time to mess with it before we start traveling again next week, but I sent myself an early December reminder.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
You can turn off Video autoplay in your settings.

quote:

To adjust autoplay on twitter.com:

Click your profile icon and select Settings and privacy from the drop-down menu.
In the Account section next to Video Tweets, uncheck Video autoplay.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20172128#autoplay

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Karuuna, I hope this works.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Juju (and everyone else), if you have cc cleaner, read this article. It might have downloaded malware on your computer. Hopefully, someone more tech savvy than me can let you know if you should be worried or not.

ALERT: Windows Users, Your Computer Could Be Infected With Malware

quote:

Windows users, here's a new reason to be worried about your personal information: Earlier this week Avast's Piriform, the makers of the computer-optimization software CCleaner, announced that 1,646,536 computers computers with its free optimizing software were infected with malware.

Users with computers running 32-bit Windows 10 are most likely to be affected, but if that applies to you, don't panic just yet.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Hmm.. for any computer geeks who can understand this stuff, this malware attack makes a good mystery.

CCleaner backdoor infecting millions delivered mystery payload to 40 PCs

quote:

The highly narrow targeting, combined with a list of 13 other technology companies that were also on a short list of organizations attackers targeted, prompted Avast to conclude the CCleaner backdoor was the work of a so-called "advanced persistent threat actor" intent on infecting the networks of large technology companies. Avast is the antivirus provider that acquired CCleaner developer Piriform on July 18, exactly 28 days before August 15, when it began pushing the backdoored version as an update to users.

"Despite the fact that CCleaner is a consumer product, the purpose of the attack was not to attack consumers and their data," Avast researchers wrote in a blog post published Monday morning. "Instead, the CCleaner consumer users were used to gain access to corporate networks of select large enterprises."

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Whoa, Grooch!!! That is just bizarre (the details about the reason). About 2-3 weeks ago, I did get hit with a Trojan that Windows Defender said came in through Ccleaner. I immediately ran Malwarebytes, and then ran Windows Defender full scan, and THEN also (I am a suspenders and belts person) did a System Restore to end of August. And then I made Google inquiries and came up with some sort of thing that said Ccleaner "might" have been carrying a Trojan, and that upgrading to the current version would cure it. So, thanks for the heads up, Grooch. It appears I did get hit, but I threw everything I could think of at it within the first ten minutes, and it appears to have worked, so perhaps I did not help Russia take down the western world corporate empire. Sheesh.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW Q: I finally got a tablet, are you supposed to turn it off when not in use and is it bad to leave it plugged in like I do my laptop? Thanks.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I don't turn mine off, just close the case and it "goes to sleep". Most electronics today have a safety "switch" that does not allow you to over charge them.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
If it's an ipad or kindle type of tablet, you're supposed to unplug it after the battery reaches 100%. If you don't, it will shorten the life of the battery which "conveniently" can't be replaced.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Assuming it's an iPad or Samsung tablet, I wouldn't leave it plugged in continuously. Just plug it in overnight.

These batteries are much better now and it's almost impossible to seriously harm them.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I did charge it up and then unplugged it, it is a RCA 10.1" 32GB; I think that is good. I was surprised when I opened it up and it was still hooked up to the internet so I turned if off after I set up malwaresbyte.

Do I need any other security/firewall stuff like McAfee? Thanks.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 4:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Hacker alert.

I saw some things on Twitter discussing 2 viruses(?) about everyone's routers that are supposed to strike today.

Should we be worried? Anywhere to get the patch? I need to do a wire transfer today and I'm not sure that I should.

In fact, should any of us be on the internet at all today? Lol

Here's the link:
Wi-fi security flaw 'puts devices at risk of hacks'

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just wanted to post some info.

"Adblock Plus" is available in the Microsoft app store for Edge now, and it works great. It's free just like for Firefox.

Those of us that use it in Firefox know how much we depend on it, and how we won't surf without it.