TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 22, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 22, 2017 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
sorry, Rosie, unless it's a Mac, I can't help you.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a display issue which is probably hardware and that means dollars and/or a new computer. If your computer isn't a laptop you could try a different display and see if that works.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
thanks. it is not a mac or laptop.

i think a new computer too. have not found anything online that works and ran virus stuff several times.

it has been a good computer. i still have win 7.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If it's not the monitor itself and you do have a desktop, then it's likely the video card or onboard graphics. It's the easiest and cheapest repair you can do yourself. As low as $29. (I posted awhile back when I replaced mine)

You just have to know exactly what kind of motherboard you have so you know which kind of video cards you can get for it. Or, you have to know exactly what kind of video card you have and get one that's similar.

The the actual installation is as easy as pulling the old one out and clicking the new one in.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
thanks naja but i only type on this thing. i won't try anything other than what has been tried. not my forte but thanks.

will let you know.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't know what that means. You need graphics when you type and surf.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
let me tell you a story:

i had a very nice computer a few years ago and, for some unknown reason, I decided that the computer must be dusty inside. Opened it up and vacuumed all of that bad old dust.

yes, you are right, somehow i managed to do damage and had to get this current computer.

i am not allowed to open anything up.

will get new computer if son cannot fix this one.

i am getting way up there in age and it just seems odd that i am currently replacing so many items: tires, battery, washing machine, dryer.

who knows what will be next?

lol

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Rosie, can one of your kids bring over another monitor and try hooking it up to see if it is the monitor?

And, then if it is not the monitor, what Naja is saying doesn't mean YOU have to fix it yourself, but that it might not be an expensive repair for somebody else to do it.

Or you could just get a new computer if yours is getting old, particularly if it doesn't have Windows 7, 8, or 10 operating system.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Juju, I wanted to mention the monitor. However, I stay away from advice on this topic. Over a year ago, had same problem with screen. Dh was able to borrow a monitor from work. Hooked it up....yep that was the problem.

ETA I think we ended up just getting a new computer.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

let me tell you a story:

i had a very nice computer a few years ago and, for some unknown reason, I decided that the computer must be dusty inside. Opened it up and vacuumed all of that bad old dust.

yes, you are right, somehow i managed to do damage and had to get this current computer.

Hahahahaha, Rosie, I sort of did that too, except I only blew through the outside, underside vent-looking things with a hair dryer on air only. And then when I turned the machine back on, it was unhappy and kept giving me ominous error messages, and I just kept restarting the computer until finally they went away. But at first, I was horrified at what I had done. Oh, and of course, dust was exactly the problem.

quote:

i am getting way up there in age and it just seems odd that i am currently replacing so many items: tires, battery, washing machine, dryer.

Getting there too, Rosie. I have found out the answer is just to totally up-end your previous life, get rid of all of your old stuff. give away almost everything you ever owned or held sacred, down-size, move, buy a new house that some other old person has already completely modernized in their own fit of optimism, and proceed to run their previously new stuff into the ground.

At least you have children, and probably grandchildren, although it also must be absolutely maddening to be as smart as you are, and be forbidden to do stuff you want to do and make mistakes you can probably very well afford to make.

But I think I am digressing again. "Stuff" used to last 50 years easy, and now it only lasts 10 or 20 max, and when you get up there, 10 is a mere blink of an eye. It ain't important to worry about any of that stuff. Get another kitten if you can. THAT is important. Drive the children crazy. You deserve it. That is why you spent all those nights without sleep and changed all those diapers.

((((Rosie))))

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have an older Dell notebook running Vista.

I want to use it replace an old Dell desktop running XP. :-)

The only thing I use the Windows computer for is stamps.com, they don't offer a full version for the Mac.

But the notebook with Vista was my DS's and seems to be full of issues and is WAY slow.

What's the best way to wipe it out and start over? Can I put a newer system on it? 7 would be more than sufficient.

Or would it be easier to just buy a cheap new notebook?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
i have no information for you Karuuna.

my blue screen comes and goes. a new computer and monitor will be the answer for me.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Putting a new Windows 7 operating system on the Vista will not make it run any faster. I did that and lasted about 2 months before I just bought a new Dell with Windows 7 and the best/fastest processor they made. I believe the XP cannot be upgraded to Windows 7, so that's a no go either.

Find a good computer parts recycler and let him have both of them. Buy a cheap SSD notebook at a back to school sale. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think the speed has to do with the fact that it has a bunch of junk (maybe viruses) on it, it wasn't that slow when we got it.

So I was just thinking if I had it stripped and Vista reinstalled or upgraded to 7, that it would work well enough to print mailing labels?

Postage vendor has confirmed that they do still support Vista with their software (stamps.com).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Can you still buy a notebook with 7 on it? I didn't know that!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Rosie, since you mentioned that all you do is type on your computer, have you considered getting a tablet instead? They can be a lot cheaper and are much more convenient to carry around with you. They come in all different sizes, too. The 10" screen is almost the size of a monitor.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
i have a huge monitor the better to see with

desktop is fine for me - holding small tablet would not be good for me

not really concerned with price but thanks for the suggestions

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh, no... sorry. It would be Windows 10, not 7.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Probably not worth trying to save the old laptop at this point. Dell Outlet has all kinds of refurbished laptops at reasonable prices, and it seems there is always some promotion or other going.

I have also had good luck buying used Dell Latitudes on eBay. Latitude is the model for road warriors, sturdy, very fast, fairly lightweight, NOT good speakers but road warriors don't need good speakers.

The advantage to buying on eBay is that often the owners have upgraded to Windows 10 and sometimes the machine will come with full edition of Microsoft Office.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks Juju.

I ended up buying one from a local re-furbisher. Dell Laptop with Windows 7, $119 (with their 25% off sale). Came with a 6 month warranty from them. Guy was really nice, offered to help me recycle my large stack of old computers.

And smash the hard drives for me. LOL.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
That sounds like a very good solution. Well done.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
What's goin' on? Pretty sure it's something to do with software. I'm on plenty new enough MacBook Pro. Latest / up to date OS X version 10.11.6. Did speed test. Perfectly good download via ATT U-verse. Some sites / pages don't or take forever to download.

Want to look at my credit card info. Try to sign into Chase. "Down load new version of your browser." That's shouldn't be the problem as I have latest. Also says "Please turn on JavaScript in your browser." Huh? Had no problem couple days ago.

Sometimes Facebook pages will take forever to download if they do at all. Then problem with other odd sites. No problems with TVCH.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Have you tried clearing your cache?

Are you using Safari?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes, Safari. No, haven't cleared the cache. And . . . Chase site just worked without my doing anything here. I do not "get" software.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Anytime you upgrade, it's a good idea to clear your cache, since new security features are often built into the new versions of the browser.