TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 25, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 25, 2015 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
True, Dipo. Thought of "home page", but that seemed too simple. Must be a more techie word / term for it. I knew once I had the word I could look up how to change my Home Page. I've done it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Happening to me too. I will be going to make some remark about Comcast, and instead Costco and Kmart will come out of my mouth. At least I have the k sound, but other times, the word is completely gone.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Happy to hear it's not just me. Sometimes, obviously, the simplest words just escape me.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
This is why we have words like dohickey, whatchamacallit and thingamagigie.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Should I be able to hear the fan coming on in my laptop? I ask because I can feel the heat coming off of it on the side where there are some vents and I just lifted it to check the other vents for cat hair and it was hot to the touch.

I realized I haven't hear the fan and wonder if I should.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It depends on how much cooling your particular laptop needs. Some run the fan a lot and others not so much. Some laptops run hotter than others. The fan is more likely to run when the CPU is working hard and is hot (e.g. for flash videos).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Jimmer is streaming the live feeds considered using flash video? Thanks.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Streaming the live feeds will make your computer run hotter.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure about whether they are still using flash for computer streaming (I think they are) but, in any event, Juju is right about the live feeds. They use a lot of CPU.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 5:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I fried a cooling tray and a computer near the end of BB16. When looking to add a cooling tray, look for one that cools your computer, not your lap. I also need my son to come over and blast the innards of my computer with a can of air.

Not techy knowledge, just my experience.
I never had this problem with RealPlayer.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Mummy you fried one or tried one, LOL? It cools down every night because I am now not so addicted that I watch them over night. I just turn on BBAD and go to sleep, turning off the computer.

Oh I could do the air thing just to blow out any cat hair that may be trying to get in.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You might even be able to use a hair dryer set on Cool and high speed to blow out any dust.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I use DH's shop vac set on reverse :-) It works really well.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Told my brother I would ask the smart people I know.....

We are traveling to Florida in Sept. We both have tablets...(mine is a kindle fire) and are wanting to use them.

I have found that you can rent a hotspot....

Has anyone done this? Ideas? suggestions?

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Christy, there are a lot of businesses and hotels/motels that offer free wifi. Also, Bright House Networks have hot spots all over the state, free if you are a Bright House customer. However, if you aren't, you can rent time. Hope the below links help.

Listed by city:
http://www.wififreespot.com/fl.php

Hotel/motels
http://www.wififreespot.com/hotels.php

Bright House Networks
http://house2house.brighthouse.com/wifi-available-stay-connected-at-work-and-play/

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Christy - McDonalds and Starbucks, and most motels have free wi-fi. The lower price motels do a better job of providing you free wi-fi than the upper range motels, who might charge you ten dollars a day for the privilege.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have wanted to know this for a long time, are these free wi-fi's secure? I don't take my laptop anywhere because I am concerned about security on these free access spots.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
They are not secure.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The security you need to be worried about is on your own computer, if you are traveling. Because no, a shared network is usually not secure itself.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
When I travel, I like to have a sort of stripped down laptop with me, not the one that contains my deepest, darkest secrets and the codes to nuclear launches. I also try not to access my bank accounts or credit cards on public wi-fi.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Perfect, that was what I thought but I had never confirmed it.

That is smart Juju. Now what about using cellphones to do banking? Secure/Not secure?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Can anyone recommend a good antivirus software that won't slow my computer down too much? I've been using Norton but I think Norton is going through one of its bloated phases and it's slowing things down too much. Either that or my computer is just getting tired. Way too much hard drive thrashing.

With respect to banking with a cellphone it's "supposed" to be secure. Lots of people do it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I've been using AVAST, which is great. Although lately my system is quite slow too.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I would never use my cell phone for banking -- especially if not at home. At home, I guess you're on your own network. But if you're at home, why not use your home computer?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I don't use my cell phone for banking because it's too easy to lose or have stolen.