TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 22, 2015 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I feel more comfortable with my MacBook Pro than I ever did with my PC. But still . . . . IIRC, not too long after I upgraded from dial-up (remember that?) to DSL lost 'lectric power. Modem didn't just start up again when power came on. Had to call AT&T. Ugh! Think that happened couple times. I'm still kinda anxious when we lose 'lectric. For some time now everything does seem to be in working order when power comes on again. (Lost it for 1.25 hours about a week ago. Big area went out around here. Who knows why?) I'm probably showing my age with apprehension about unplugging?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I ALWAYS go unplug my router, count to fifteen and plug it back in when I get connectivity problems. 84% of the time, that cures the problem, and I am off to cyberworld again.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I will. I will. I will.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Another thing the TWC rep told me to do was to clear all my history after I had unplugged and re-plugged my wireless router. Once I cleared all my history, she had me restart my Mac.

I'm sorry I didn't mention these steps before. I hope it helps!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Haven't unplugged / plugged as yet.

When I check speed, it's always 14.75 - 14.99. So far never has hit 15. Called AT&T cuz of U-Verse bill. They got stuff so wrong re billing and related.

Could AT&T be connecting me via both DSL and U-Verse / fiber optics at the same time?? I certainly can imagine they'd bill me for both at the same time. Could that be why my connection is still like DSL? U-Verse is separate bill from anything else AT&T.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Talked to AT&T again day before Thanksgiving. Things may be improving now. I guess I know the answer to my above question -- different modem changes me from DSL to U-Verse? But will the bill be correct? Hmmmm.

I did get a PAPER bill on Saturday! It was in incorrect amount. Person on Wednesday said not to pay that amount -- basically pay $199 less. In other words, deduct installation charge. Bill will be corrected.

I was told Wednesday that I probably won't notice increase in speed much during web surfing. Faster speed will be evident for streaming video and music. Would that be true? I stream video in spurts. Wasn't having much problem with it on DSL. If I have more speed now -- that is good.

I've been running speed test occasionally. I'm paying for 18 Mbps. First few days I was getting 14.86 - 14.99. After that 16.70 - 16.84. Pretty good?

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, December 01, 2014 - 4:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Since we have the same setup I just tested my speed and this morning it is 15.19. I've had higher and lower so I guess this is the average. We do see an increase while surfing but don't stream a lot of video so can't speak to if that's better or not. I think when we had the basic package we were paying for up to 12Mbps but the average was actually around 10Mbps.

DSL and U-verse equipment at the user end are totally different so there's no way you can be connected to both. Now they can always screw up the billing, been there done that, so getting billed for both or one but not the other and so on is always possible.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, December 01, 2014 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
AT&T can make any (and every?) possible mistake.

Related -- I had a problem with an Amazon order. NO problem with their customer service getting it fixed. Small world! I'm calling from Chicago 'burbs. Get Julie in Kentucky. In talking find she used to live two 'burbs away. As I live VERY near DMV facility, she's been where I live. We know someone in common. Small world!

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, December 01, 2014 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Hopefully AT&T will sort it all out for you. Right now my attention is focused on one of my hot water heaters that failed over Thanksgiving. Came home from visiting friends in Atlanta Saturday to find out we had no hot water in the master bath. Apparently tank had failed while we were gone but luckily the catch pan and overflow worked so no damage. What gets me is that this unit is only three years old and shouldn't have failed so soon. Still under warranty but replacement isn't free and they'll have to change plumbing as the code has changed in three years. Luckily the house has two water heaters so guest bedroom, laundry, and kitchen all have hot water. I'm still ripped though.......

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Normally, I’ll occasionally put my laptop to sleep by just closing the lid. And then it wakes up when I open the lid.

The last few times I’ve done that, the computer shuts down upon wake up. It goes to sleep ok, and I see that it is still on by the indicator lights while the lid is closed. But as soon as I open the lid, it shuts down. When I restart it, I get the black screen saying how Windows was not properly shut down.

I’ve Googled the problem, and most suggestions are about updating the drivers. They give links where to do so, but I don’t trust random links on random websites. So I went through my own computer’s “Windows Updates" and it said there were no new updates to download. But now I’m wondering, is Windows Updates and downloading drivers a different thing? And if so, where is a trusted site to download drivers? I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I think the model is C650 if that makes any difference.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
You need to check the Toshiba website and see if they have any updates. Microsoft Windows Update doesn't have every updates for every brand of computer, too many and some updates like drivers only apply to a specific brand, company, and model.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I browsed Toshiba's website. And also clicked on the "Toshiba help center" on my laptop. The one on my laptop said no updates available. My computer might be too old for Toshiba's website to have any recent updates. But I haven't gotten that far to figure it out yet.

Just curious. If it is a driver update issue, how could my computer suddenly be doing this new problem, when it has been ok with all the current drivers up until now? Not sure I worded that coherently. LOL.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Whoami, I have this on my laptop, free version, and run it every now and then, and it seems to do a pretty good job without trying to trick me into buying the paid version every ten seconds. (or maybe I just know my way around it well enough that I have disabled all the sales pop-ups)

http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

Iobit seems to have some fairly good free programs.

And then you can just google this phrase and probably be taken directly to the Toshiba driver download website: drivers toshiba satellite c650

I know I have gone to Dell Support to manually download and and then install one by one the newer drivers for my older laptops before. After I downloaded them, I then had to find them and click on each one to install it. The iobit software is a lot easier.

And, as always, if this is wrong SpongeBob or Jimmer will be in shortly to set us straight.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, December 05, 2014 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately computer manufacturers do stop supporting older models. Part of it is that equipment just becomes so obsolete that updates aren't worth it and part of it is that it's not necessarily in their best interest because they want you to buy new. New software does come along that counts on the computer being more or less "state of the art" and may not work with older drivers. On top of that, and I don't know how or why, but drivers can in essence break or become corrupted. Frustrating for sure.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I have been unable to post comments on ESPN and several other sites for about a month. Among the sites are some news sites. I click on reply and can fill my comment in the box. But when I click on send, nothing happens.

All of these sites require a Facebook account which I have.

I have posted on these sites for years so I do know their procedures for posting.

I have turned the computer on and off and that has not helped.

I have cleared cookies and caches and that has not helped.

I have checked settings and they are all correct as far as I can tell.

I can do the comments on my Nook and my Android smart phone, but who want to spend the time to type with one finger on these small keyboards?

I even took my computer to the Geek squad and they could not help. First time they have let me down and they were devastated by it. My tech says he is going to keep researching and will get back to me if he discovers a solution.

Since then I have researched on the web and have seen that many people are having the same problem.

Have any of you run into this problem and have you found a solution. It is very frustrating because I do enjoy engaging in conversations with other posters.

I really need help.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 02, 2015 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Allietek, nope, can't help, but I think with all you have done so far, you will find a solution.

Just wanted to tell Mack that I think the computer monitor you so kindly passed on to me had reached near the end of its life. I started doing an on and then off thing, and then switching between analog and digital. I Googled, saw some fixes, and then after I ordered a new one, one of the fixes worked, so yesterday morning I cancelled the replacement, and then the on and off started again this morning. so I ordered a different new one.

So, Mack, thank you very much for giving me that monitor. It was quite wonderful for several more years. I am a member of a couple South Padre Island Facebook groups, and I think I will put it on there for free, just in case anybody wants to go further with the fixes than I did. It might just yet have another year or so in it.

Thanks again.

Juju

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, February 02, 2015 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Allie- have you tried tabbing to the send key and then hitting enter? Sometimes that will work.

Or tried a different browser?

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Well Juju at least it had a good second life, had to be seven or more years old. I have its twin that we bought at the same time, actually Mrs. Mack's old monitor, and I use it off and on. Had some friends visit and we were planning our vacation with them. Weather was great so we sat outside on the patio and I hooked it up to my laptop so everybody could see the screen as we researched our options.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Is anyone else having problems with Internet Explorer? Just wondering if it is only a problem for my computer or others too.

Finally able to get online via a different provider.

oh and is Hilary really filing for a divorce?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
nevermind. was able to discover that many others had trouble with IE last night and this morning. some are blaming Norton but I really don't know.

I was able to access this site via chrome and will just wait for IE to fix itself. ta dah

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you Rosie, I couldn't figure out what the problem was yesterday, I kept rebooting and trying different things. It drove me nuts.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I decided that it was a virus and kept running everything to get rid of it.

Until, I found Norton was involved in some way.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
just received a notice that I HAVE to go to chrome to download a new Norton toolbar. huh????

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Weird things happening nowadays, Rosie. I was trying to download an add-on to IE today, and was taken to some site on Firefox. Twice!!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
cannot help but wonder if another country took over the internet but it does seem that the companies we use are fighting with each other over us