TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 27, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 27, 2013 users admin

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
thanks Landi. Off to remove this thing

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 10:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
And that was the last we ever saw of Rosie ...

Sigh ...

just kidding, don't ban me

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
lol Juju

Landi, I was able to change the browser back from pageset but not positive that it and its components are removed. See something called BrowserGuard that is new on my computer and cannot get it to appear or disappear.

I was trying to repair IE and Flash when I messed up.

Sent message to 1 to scan my computer for me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was just looking at the link Landi posted for getting rid of this browser hijacker. I see it recommends Malwarebytes. I have the free version of that, and find it to be VERY valuable. In fact, I am going to go right now and update my definitions on it. Well, and after I updated it, I decided to run a quick scan and have already found six things. Huh!

You have to be REALLLLLLLy careful nowadays to pay very close attention when downloading any free software. They have started hiding the browser hijacker and toolbar crapola in very clever places, so that you will read right over it and click OK, thus authorizing its installation. I found one the other day IN the Licensing Agreement that none of us ever read nowadays. What a dirty trick.

Okay, and Malwarebytes found 12 malicious objects, and I must go now and restart my computer. Best of luck to us both.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I installed a new version of Jave, 7,update 45. Now every time I open a link or the browser, I am asked for permission: cancel or allow. Is there any way to prevent/correct this?

Thanks in advance!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Kitkat, try this:

Go to your Control Panel, find Java and open it, go to the security tab, and check the box "allow in Browser". You need to have admin privileges, but if you installed it, you probably do.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for coming to help!

I did as you suggested. Under security, there was a box for "enable Java content in browser". It was already checked. I re-checked it, but that had no effect. I also restarted the computer. Neither helped, I still have to given permission every time the brower/link is clicked.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks again for your time!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Has anyone used THIS product before (Internet on the Go)? I will be moving next week and have to have a mobile wi-fi solution during the 3-day trip. Please advise pro or con, or with any suggestions that might solve the problem (it's my busiest business week of the year).

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
GAL, I have not used that item before, but I have used this one: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot/jetpack-hotspot-mhs291l

where are you moving to?

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Moving to Phoenix, the land of the never ending heatwave, Landi. Thanks for the link, I will look into it.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
we'll be going through Arizona sometime in either April or May (hoping April) on the great RV trip (see the thread about it!). Would love to meet up with you!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
That would be awesome, Landi - we don't know anyone there and it will be lonesome.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
GAL, I sent you a PM

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Got it Landi thank you!! I'll give you a call the week after Thanksgiving after all the dust has settled. Right now I need about five of me to get everything done.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Has anyone else gotten those annoying calls from someone claiming to be from Microsoft? I've had calls from several people (all from unknown or private numbers) who claim they have detected a problem on my computer and want to help me fix it. The first time I got one, I pretended to play along and just typed the code they gave me into the search box. When I said that's what I did, they hung up. I just got one a few minutes ago, like I'm supposed to believe that there's someone at Microsoft at 9:40 p.m. checking to make sure there are no problems with my computer.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
We got them, Merry, about a year after we switched to all Macs. So that's what I would say. Too late, dumped all the Microsoft computers. And then hang up. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Heaven help me - my external hard drive died last night, just as I was preparing to adjust three different final exams. We've tried different connecting cords, different computers, different cases for the hard drive,and it is currently in the freezer as a last ditch effort.

Has anyone had any luck with Geek Squad getting data off? It may not seem like much to some people, but I've spent the last 3 months teaching 2 brand new classes, and I've lost at least 75% of all my materials. I'm willing to pay to get the data back because I just don't have the energy to do it all over again. It has been the hardest, busiest, worst semester in my 22-year teaching career, and this just seems like the final straw.

(And yes - I did have a few of the files backed up elsewhere, but when I was working 70 hours a week all through October and most of November, backing up files seems like the least of my worries!)

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I have crashed a hard drive twice and a thumb drive. I had luck getting the data off one of the hard drives. I use a local small computer place, so not sure about Geek Squad. I think it really depends on why you are not getting the data off. Why it crashed?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I thought I had moved all of my files from my old computer to my new computer, in fact all I moved was a shortcut back to my old computer. Then I deleted the files and then dumped the recycling bin. Geek Squad was able to recover all of my files onto a "My Passport" hard drive. It wasn't cheap, but I have them!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have no clue why it crashed. It worked at 11:30 yesterday morning, I never unplugged it or moved it, and at 11:30 last night it wasn't even showing in the list of drives. I tried unplugging and plugging it back in, and then it asked me if I wanted to format the drive!!???! HELL, NO!! ****sigh**** I'm begging all the gods that the Geek Squad can save my files.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Finger and toes crossed for you Teach!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The freezer did NOT work, HOWEVER, my DH found a Linux-based recovery program and was able to get ALL My files back!! He thinks there's a problem with the boot file that Windows 7 and 8 doesn't like. We're looking at various cloud deals, and now those files are backed up in THREE different places.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING for sure at this house!!!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Teach, what program did he use? After my first external drive failed, I bought a new one - and now it has failed as well.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It's called "Parted Magic" - he had to download an ISO file and burn it to a CD so it was a bootable CD. That got him into a version of Linux that allowed him to read the files.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Thank you!