TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 14, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 14, 2013 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Holly, where it says LIVE next to the box is where it is showing your results of your test, which you asked to be performed by going to the page in the first place. When I go there on Firefox, my LIVE box has a blank space between can and run, which I take to mean I do not have Java enabled.

I think I will go run it on IE.

Oh! That is interesting. When I pasted in the address to the Java testing website a warning box popped up saying the page requires Java. I guess I will click OK and see what happens next. Done. The LIVE box says "This web browser can NOT run Java applets."

So, I apparently do not have Java enabled for either browser. Good. No worries.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 2:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I disabled but that cuts out half my POGO games. EA (which owns POGO) claims to be on Oracle's back to fix this up.. anyway I had played some games earlier and then after I disabled Java, the games wouldn't run and demanded their Java, so I was successful. EA suggested that people could enable, play games and then disable..

Holly

07-21-2001

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Juju, that helped! So I am running it.

Well...not only can't I disable it on IE, I've tried to uninstall it and it just won't go away. Something very weird going on with this Java program. Anyone know how to uninstall when the 'uninstall programs' in my Control Panel isn't doing the job!!!!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I can't find anything on either browser or the computer in general to show that I have Java at all.

Holly

07-21-2001

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Ha! After numerous attempts (and finally changing authority to 'Administrator') I was finally able to uninstall Java altogether. I'll just leave it off until they sort this mess out.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Ah, I am beginning to understand why I have no need for Java. I am one of the virginal few who managed to completely avoid EVER going to Pogo during the years when Pogo took over the internet and killed so many message boards because the Pogo addicts no longer had time for their imaginary friends. They were off playing Pogo. (whatever that is, and I never bothered to find out)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I enjoy the games but I don't chat there, so that's it. Wargod nicely coached me in several games a few years ago and that got me going.

Turns out that Google Calendar on my computer also stopped working, though they claim to only use Javascript.

But Calengoo app on my kindle fire is still working so I'll just keep that up to date until I can synch again.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
so java and javascript are different, LOL? I just want to know when this will be fixed so I can stop worrying about being hacked.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Java 7 Update 11
was released yesterday to patch this specific threat.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah!!! Thank you Bob2112

I spoke to soon, I don't have a clue what to download.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hi Bob, I just saw on the news that they said that the patch is not that effective and to CONTINUE to keep JAVA disabled. My computer guru pal checked it out for me, and confirmed it by sending me this link.

http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix-7000009785/

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hmmm... I disabled Java on Firefox as soon as the news came out. When I went in to double-check today, it's back on! I did NOT "enable" it, so now I'm wondering if there are certain web sites or programs that automatically enable it if it's listed as an add-on. Most frustrating...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Java has always been flaky. No doubt that patch improves things but if you don't have a specific need for Java, I agree that it's better to just keep it disabled because it is easily exploited. So I installed the patch and then disabled it again.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I can't keep the darn thing disabled. Every time Firefox opens, it's enabled again. Stupid Java....

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I wonder if you have some setting that says when a website asks for Java, they have permission? I know on many sites I get a request for it, which I don't apprive.

I seem to have it off and staying off in IE.. all I have to do is check certain pogo games and I can tell :-)

At least Payday Freecell works.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Please update java to java7 update 11. gracias :-)

Mungus

02-16-2012

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mungus a private message Print Post    
Great postings on Java (not to be confused with JavaScript). If you are still not sure if you should disable your Java In Browser(s), you should be. Any time reputable sources refer to a "Scorched Earth" security response; it's worth noting. Here's another link to go w/the one Mameblanche posted, and steps to do what Jimmer did (install the latest patch and then Disable it).

Source link to 'Woody's Watch' https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/security-alert-remove-java-from-your-browsers/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Went to check and make sure mine was still disabled and found this.

Name isInstalled Class
Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Status Enabled

It was above the disabled java.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, February 01, 2013 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I love and hate (?) all the technology. Time for new MacBook Pro and HP printer. Will get them next week. Was talking to HP today. HP / Michele said HP printer should not be plugged into surge protector / power strip as it has its own built-in surge protector. Can effect print quality, etc. if it is. I'd never heard that before??

I just want it to be all set up and working again.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, February 08, 2013 - 1:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Completely off of the Java discussion, I've been fighting my new DT PC anti-virus options. It came with McAfee, which quickly pi**ed me off, so I loaded Avira, which made me even madder with all of the interruptions and slow response time, so I tried AVG, with similar results...finally I bought BitDefender, which seems to be much more friendly and just as good, so I'm sticking with it and will recommend it if none of the experts here disagree. Thanks, have a great weekend.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 08, 2013 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have had Microsoft Security Essentials (after being a previous user of Symantec, AVG until it became bloatware, Avast, and Avira). My only beef with MSE is it requires an extra step(and sometimes a Google inquiry), if I forget how to turn it off.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 12:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Avast is the current free version I use. AVG certainly became bloatware and I didn't like the Avira interface or features. I've got Avast on 5 computers (2 older Windows XP and 3 not so new Windows 7) here at home for about 3-4 years and have not had any problems.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I am having issues with "the blue screen" This is happening every day and I am not sure why. I have tried to check out the windows update to see if I have some drivers that need to be updated etc. But can't access anything once I open the windows update page. It keeps telling me that the website is experiencing some difficulty or another. Is it me? Can anyone else access that site? Or have any advice for me. I have not recently installed any devices.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I did a search around and found some info. Fingers crossed I have solved the issue.